PDA

View Full Version : An all-protein diet?

Goldbergwannabe
09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
What would a diet of just protein-rich foods do for me? I heard from one of my football coaches that if anyone has trouble gaining muscle then they should at least try out a diet where it's almost all things like meats. And my favorite ball player, Sean May, went on that kind of diet and lost a lot of weight in fat but gained more in muscle.

I'm out of football for this whole season from a knee injury, so I can't run or get any kind of cardio exercise. But I want to be upper body-lifting now so I'll be ready for next season. So, if I'm only doing upperb body for now and can't exercise, should I try this out?

[[[----]]]
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Carbs and fats play an important role also in building muscle

Scooter
09-07-2005, 03:02 PM
You can't lose lots of fat and still gain muscle. If you want to gain muscle continue to eat and do your workout. If you want to lose weight workout while watching what you eat

notbad
09-07-2005, 07:05 PM
The best thing to do when it comes to taking in protein is to get different types of protein consumed. Like eat tuna, chicken, eggs, cheese, beef, milk, al kinds of different things. Just mix it up, because different types of foods have different types of protein, variety is better, trust me.

Junin
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Check out PSMF (Protein Sparing Modified Fast) over at www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums

Shao-LiN
09-07-2005, 08:04 PM
PSMF can be beneficial as far as rapid weight loss is concerned, but the potential for regaining the fat after you are done with the diet is much higher than a more sane caloric deficit. But, assuming you approach it correctly and don't just immediately increase your calories, but make a gradual transition back to maintenance, you can minimize any post-diet gain.

I doubt you would be building "lots of muscle", though. As was said, carbs and fat play a very important role in lean mass gains. Not to mention fat is needed for optimal hormone levels.

malkore
09-08-2005, 08:27 AM
You wanna know what an all-protein diet does? Google the word: ketosis

Shao-LiN
09-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Ketosis isn't limited to all protein diets. Diets such as a CKD employ higher fats and allow you to enter ketosis.

Built
09-08-2005, 10:29 PM
A better one to google is "rabbit starvation" http://www.medbio.info/Horn/Time%201-2/vilhjalmur_stefansson1.htm