PDA

View Full Version : Maltodextrin???

Giddo
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Anyone know the nutrient breakdown for this in powdered form?
I have 5kg's but can't find what calories it holds.

Built
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Same as any other sugar I'd imagine: 4 cals per gram.

ryuage
09-07-2005, 05:43 PM
:withstupi

50g per 1/2 cup

[[[----]]]
09-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Where do you get powdered Malodextrin?

Built
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
I get it from a U-brew. It's sold as beer conditioner, the brand available to me is called Brew Body.

SpecialK
09-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I don't understand why weight gainers don't list this ingrediant as a sugar on the label. They claim it's a "complex carb", yet its GI is comparable to dextrose, hardly complex IMO. Is it just marketing BS?

Shao-LiN
09-07-2005, 08:07 PM
It is a sugar, but it is technically a complex carb since it is a glucose polymer.

SpecialK
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
It is a sugar, but it is technically a complex carb since it is a glucose polymer.

Yea but so is sucrose, and most regular foods classify that as a sugar on the nutrition label.

Shao-LiN
09-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Sucrose contains a glucose unit and a fructose unit (note, this is not a glucose polymer...a glucose polymer consists of many glucose molecules joined together). Sucrose is termed a disaccharide which is properly termed a simple sugar (which consisits of monosaccharides and disaccharides).

Maltodextrin is a large chain of glucose units, or a polysaccharide. Oligosaccharides and polysaccharides are complex carbohydrates, but the glucose molecules in maltodextrin have very weak bonds which make it very easy to digest, and not much slower than dextrose.

SpecialK
09-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Sucrose contains a glucose unit and a fructose unit (note, this is not a glucose polymer...a glucose polymer consists of many glucose molecules joined together). Sucrose is termed a disaccharide which is properly termed a simple sugar (which consisits of monosaccharides and disaccharides).

Maltodextrin is a large chain of glucose units, or a polysaccharide. Oligosaccharides and polysaccharides are complex carbohydrates, but the glucose molecules in maltodextrin have very weak bonds which make it very easy to digest, and not much slower than dextrose.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Giddo
09-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info guy's and Built!

SpecialK
09-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Here's something related to my previous post that I found interesting:

http://www.ast-ss.com/dev/qa_search/full_text.asp?ID=687

Apparently the GI of maltodextrin is highly variable depending on the length of the glucose chains. Maybe a weight gainer wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.