PDA

View Full Version : Amount of protein consumed at 1 time

muscleup
09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
I heard someone on here say your body doesn't know what to do with more than 45g of protein in one consumption.
Truth?

Mercuryblade
09-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Your body can only absorb so much protein before you eventually poop out whatever you ate last, it obviously depends on the person, but I've heard its usually somewhere around the 30-35g range.

ReelBigFish
09-09-2005, 03:52 PM
first off you don't just "poop" it out. Your body will use the amino acids it needs at the time for either energy, muscle repair, etc...and what's left will be converted to glucose and store as fat. You don't ever "waste" any.

Canadian Crippler
09-09-2005, 04:45 PM
First of all, the amount of grams your body can use at once for muscle repairation(sp?) differs from individual to individual. Secondly, any "excess" amount will just be used like any other form of energy, so don't worry about it.

muscleup
09-09-2005, 04:54 PM
First of all, the amount of grams your body can use at once for muscle repairation(sp?) differs from individual to individual. Secondly, any "excess" amount will just be used like any other form of energy, so don't worry about it.
2 scoops of my protein is 50g of protein. I don't want to waist any, and I don't want it to just turn to fat, even if it's only 5g. Should I stay in the 40-45g range?

body
09-09-2005, 05:37 PM
as above it will vary from person to person. depends on various needs. but if a you a big bodybuilder whos just trianed there entire body. then your going too be using a lot of protien.

Built
09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Yep - beyond a certain point, protein just becomes expensive glucose. But it's not "wasted".

Scott S
09-09-2005, 06:09 PM
You poop it all out anyway.

Naab
09-11-2005, 02:29 PM
so what is the point of consuming a MRP homemade shake which has 75g of protein....?

Basically no point in adding the why if I have 3 cups of milk b/c according to this theory, i am just wasting my money????

Shao-LiN
09-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Your body can only absorb so much protein before you eventually poop out whatever you ate last, it obviously depends on the person, but I've heard its usually somewhere around the 30-35g range.

False.

fixationdarknes
09-11-2005, 06:31 PM
first off you don't just "poop" it out.

LOL. That made me laugh.

D Breyer
09-11-2005, 07:21 PM
whoaaaaaaaa so are you saying that if you consume too much protein at a time it is converted to fat?? i sometimes load up protein at meals like... 80g... sometimes a TON more... should i stop doing this?

BG5150
09-11-2005, 07:45 PM
How long is it bewteen "times". If 80 is too much, then 40g now and then 40 more in an half hour is bad. But how long until all, or most of it, assimilates and you get to have more? Same example, if I have 40g now, when can I have the next meal of chicken breasts?

ReelBigFish
09-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I'd say 2 to 3 hours. It's not jsut prot. but carbs and fats to. it's not like it's going to add an inch to your waist each time but when ever your body has too much of anything and no need for it at the time, your body stores it as fat. What most don't know is that during most of the day your body uses fat for energy. Except of course when lifting or doing cardio or strenuous activity. Even though you don't burn a lot of cals while walking around or watching t.v., you're using fat at the time.

Shao-LiN
09-11-2005, 10:57 PM
whoaaaaaaaa so are you saying that if you consume too much protein at a time it is converted to fat?? i sometimes load up protein at meals like... 80g... sometimes a TON more... should i stop doing this?

It doesn't automatically store it as fat. There are other processes in the body that protein is used for, such as gluconeogenesis (basically, "making new glucose").

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Your body will use as much protein as it needs and nothing more. How much the body uses depends on the individual, their activity level, yada yada yada...

CarlP
09-12-2005, 06:13 AM
I'd say 2 to 3 hours. It's not jsut prot. but carbs and fats to. it's not like it's going to add an inch to your waist each time but when ever your body has too much of anything and no need for it at the time, your body stores it as fat. What most don't know is that during most of the day your body uses fat for energy. Except of course when lifting or doing cardio or strenuous activity. Even though you don't burn a lot of cals while walking around or watching t.v., you're using fat at the time.

I don't think you're body uses fat at rest. It's easier to break down the food you've recently eaten than it is for your body to break down fat for energy.

Holto
09-12-2005, 08:55 AM
I don't think you're body uses fat at rest

Stop thinking and start reading.

Your bodies primary fuel at rest is fat.

Your body is always all three macro's at all times for energy.

Also, your body deposits fat after every meal, unless you are really depleted of glycogen (muscular and hepatic).

Holto
09-12-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't think you're body uses fat at rest

Stop thinking and start reading.

Your bodies primary fuel at rest is fat.

Your body is always using all three macro's at all times for energy.

Also, your body deposits fat after every meal, unless you are really depleted of glycogen (muscular and hepatic).

lifter4life
09-12-2005, 11:30 AM
hmmm, I consume 80g shakes just about once a day and haven't seen an increase in body fat at all, but I'm only 18 and it's pretty hard for me to gain bf by eating anything =p.

So, spreading the protein throughout the day would make it be used for muscle reparation instead of energy? is that correct?

Shao-LiN
09-12-2005, 05:54 PM
It would increase the amount of protein used for muscle repair, yes. It's always good to spread your macros out over the day, but this mumbo jumbo voodoo about your body can only "absorb" 40-45g of protein per hour and the rest is wasted is untrue.

KobeWillVindic8
09-13-2005, 03:42 PM
in the end, weight gain/loss will still be about cals in vs. cals out.. but in terms of dedicating protein intake towards muscle building... it is pretty likely that your body will not be able to assimilate 100% of a shake containing 80g of protein towards muscle building. what that exact number is.. nobody knows for sure.. depends on the person.

HILL
09-14-2005, 05:05 AM
i would say get as much protein as you can. surely its better to have to much than to little, im cutting and aim for over 300g a day.