PDA

View Full Version : ATF Squats

jack_of_all
09-09-2005, 04:24 PM
for powerlifting purposes is it ok to train with almost entirly ATF and then work up to higher weight with the ROM approaching paralell before a comp? or should squat training be as much regular squats as possible. because i personally like ATF more but am currently trying to train with paralell because im obviously going to be doing it that way at some point.

basically, what im asking is, can i build up my initial squatting strength base on just ATF squats?

squat it all!
09-09-2005, 04:32 PM
how do you train your deads? do you pull off blocks to increase the ROM? if so, do you do that all the way to a meet? i would say ATF squats are great when you are several weeks out, but the closer you get to a meet, the more critical it gets that you handle bigger weights, which is what going to parallel affords you. do you compete raw? if not, you also need to get accustomed to your gear with "meet-like" conditions, which means parallel squats. just my opinion, bro

Canadian Crippler
09-09-2005, 04:44 PM
A lot of people compete below parallel anyways.

PowerManDL
09-09-2005, 04:45 PM
There's more to it than just ROM. Stance, hand placement, and bar placement all make a difference, and really an OL squat is a whole different animal from a PL squat.

That said, I tend to make the focus of my training OL squats with a full ROM. The carryover to PL squats is certainly there, especially if you're doing other heavy work for the posterior chain.

drew
09-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I've always squatted as deep as possible, and still do when I squat heavy. I box squat once a week off a box about 1" below parallel. I don't change the way I lift for any of the 3 PLs. It's much more important to me to keep my form consistent (as long as it's correct).

Sensei
09-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Cycling in squat variations from time to time is a good thing, but IMHO you need to be doing most of your squatting the same way you will squat in competition.

When you say "ass-to-the-floor" squats, do you mean OL squats w. high bar and close stance, or do you just mean as deep as you can possibly go and well below parallel?

jack_of_all
09-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Cycling in squat variations from time to time is a good thing, but IMHO you need to be doing most of your squatting the same way you will squat in competition.

When you say "ass-to-the-floor" squats, do you mean OL squats w. high bar and close stance, or do you just mean as deep as you can possibly go and well below parallel?

well, i dont really squat with a close stance (its wider than my dl) so no, its not a close stance. its just a regular squat only throughout the full rom i can go too. and i dont know how high the bar is on my back, ive always felt i have it a little high, but at least its not on my neck. and it fits really good where it is, if i try to lower it i end up holding weight with my arms or having to lean excessivly to avoid that.

ive been thinking that i probably wont do ATF squats (for now), but thanks for all the replys.