PDA

View Full Version : cheat day versus cheat couple of days

body
12-22-2001, 07:03 AM
Most of you how diet use a cheat day once a week.
you do this as to fool your body to alter lipase levels etc to pre diet level days to help keep loosing fat.
however do you think one day is enough to do this? would two meduim cheat days be better than one big cheat day. to help fool the body.
or would doing two large cheat days in a row, once every two weeks be better to fool your body will get stustained kclas for a peroid?

any comments?

syntekz
12-22-2001, 07:44 AM
i don't think it really matters.

i think people use the cheats not to fool their bodies, but to enjoy themselves while eating once a week.

Tryska
12-22-2001, 07:46 AM
yeah..i pretty much use a cheat day to eat like a normal person and not go tottaly crazy.

Wizard
12-22-2001, 10:41 AM
Cheat day:up to 70% carbs and 20-50% above maintainance(It depends on whether you're dieting or not.When you 're dieting hardocore,then go for 50% above m.).
The frequency is depended on your bodyfat levels.More bodyfat=less frequent cheat days and vise versa.

Spiderman
12-22-2001, 12:07 PM
I cheated every day for 5 days straight when I went on vacation last week. :eek: ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-17-2002, 12:06 PM
i've been meaning to bump this for a while now.

Over christmas i had four cheat days in the first week and three in the second.

I had been dieting for a long time before this and i think my metabolism had definately begun to slow quite considerably, cause the last five weeks i never lost weight and the last three weeks i added weight!

I truely believe the extended break has reved my metabolism and also really filled out my muscles and even spurred on anabolism, cause at first i thought i had re-filled my glycogen stores but the 'growth' is still there.

I reckon used every 6-8 week or so that cheats over two to several days may yield more benefit than only one.

Wizard
01-17-2002, 12:14 PM
It may be better.The only side effect of a cheat day is that you get bloated and your water retention increases.If you can mentally afford it then do it.
Glycogen stores can't be refilled in a single day.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-17-2002, 12:22 PM
exactly.

Retention goes after a few days and you'll even notice an improvement in the gym for the first few sessions after, not to mention a probable increase in muscle mass [not all glycogen]

Wizard
01-17-2002, 12:35 PM
:nod:

A reason may be that you're super hydrated.Anyway,it's really effective.

notSoBig Guy
01-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Everyday is a cheat day for me. I am eating chocolate fudge granola bars.

syntekz
01-17-2002, 01:48 PM
I actually read an article that mentioned this as a way to kick start growth.

Said every certain amount of weeks, eat an extra 1000 - 2000 calories for three days straight. Said it'll shock your body into growth.

Also mentioned that since you are only doing this for a few days that it keeps fat gain at a minimal.

What ya think?

Wizard
01-17-2002, 02:02 PM
Fat storage will be minimal,for sure.
Some growth will be noticed but the rate of growth will vary among individuals.

gymtime
01-17-2002, 02:15 PM
There's some arguement on the benefits/problems with a cheat day. I think about it as kind of a "carb-up" time. I get to eat bread and sweets which I deny myself during the week. Others will tell you that a cheat day more often than once a month will hinder your cutting goal. So like anything, it depends on what works best for you.

Gymtime's Cheat Day Commandments:

1) Only do it if you deserve it. If you haven't eaten COMPLETELY CLEAN for the prior week, don't do it. Wait until you have six totally clean diet days behind you.

2) Cheat day is not "gorge yourself" day. Do not stuff yourself with crap at every meal. Keep it reasonable.

3) I think cheat days are important mentally. I love food. If I had to be on a cutting diet constantly, I'd never stick with it. Cheat day gives you something to look forward to. And I guarantee you, you will NEVER appreciate good food more than after a week of chicken, tuna, rice, and protein powder.

4) The day after a cheat day requires 10 times more discipline for me than any trip to the gym. You've had incredible food the day before, now it's time to get back to the grind, kinda like monday morning. Last tip, DO NOT extend cheat day into the next day, no matter how much you want to.

Prelude
01-17-2002, 03:19 PM
I ate clean for 3 weeks, right before Christmas cause I was planning a cheat week. When I my cheat week came, I ate everything in sight ( including from twinkies to fried burritos to 7-11 hotdogs). Now I really regret it cause I can't seem to stop eating those damn! burritos and hotdogs (which I rarely ate before). DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! I just looked in the mirror and it's really showing now. I hope to get back on my diet soon. Any suggestions.

notSoBig Guy
01-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Blah, when I'm bulking I don't care about all that yin yang you talk about, as long as I don't get too fat it's alright with me. I can cut whenever I want, I just want to keep seeing the scale rise when I stand on it. I ate clean for 4 months and gained 3 pounds, then I ate dirty, for the next 4 months, I gained like 12-15 pounds with minimal fat gain (my belly is the same size as it was before), but it may only work for me. And no, I don't eat high fat foods everyday, maybe twice a week I'll have burger and pizza, other than that I eat a hell of a lot of bagels and peanut butter, cereal, and I drink a lot of skim milk. My carbs are at least 600 grams a day, fat varies day to day, protein always high, like 250-300 grams a day. Just eat, lift, and be happy, even though you may have a small gut like I do. I never get technical with my diet when I'm bulking.

Prelude
01-17-2002, 03:29 PM
HELLO! would I be worried like a fcuk If I was bulking?

syntekz
01-17-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Prelude

:confused:

notSoBig Guy
01-17-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Prelude

I was referring to gymtime, not you.

the_hall
01-17-2002, 07:50 PM
In all seriousness, I have been lifting for 6 months. I have been bulking for all 6 to, and have NEVER had a cheat day. I eat clean every day of my bulk, and have still gained too much fat. I have put on 35lbs over these 6 months, and have never been a "heavy" person.

The closest I have came to a cheat day is I ate a piece of cake one time.

syntekz
01-17-2002, 07:56 PM
How much did your bodyfat increase? Or have no clue?

the_hall
01-17-2002, 08:00 PM
I really couldnt tell you, I have never measured. My abs were visible, but they arent now.

I usually get about 3700 calories, I weigh 175.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Syntekz, def go for it if you're cutting. say every 5-6 weeks maybe?

i dunno if it'd work when bulking though, since you're eating over maintenance everyday as it is. When you go back to your normal 'bulking' diet plan the body may still be used to high cals and be in a nice fat storing mode. I can;t say for sure without trying it out though. Any takers for our little experiment?

syntekz
01-18-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Syntekz, def go for it if you're cutting. say every 5-6 weeks maybe?

I'll probably give it a try. My lifts will probably go up for the first few days afterwards (Ego booster).

What kind of things should I eat do you think? Mostly carbs?

gymtime
01-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by notSoBig Guy
Blah, when I'm bulking I don't care about all that yin yang you talk about, as long as I don't get too fat it's alright with me. I can cut whenever I want, I just want to keep seeing the scale rise when I stand on it. I ate clean for 4 months and gained 3 pounds, then I ate dirty, for the next 4 months, I gained like 12-15 pounds with minimal fat gain (my belly is the same size as it was before), but it may only work for me. And no, I don't eat high fat foods everyday, maybe twice a week I'll have burger and pizza, other than that I eat a hell of a lot of bagels and peanut butter, cereal, and I drink a lot of skim milk. My carbs are at least 600 grams a day, fat varies day to day, protein always high, like 250-300 grams a day. Just eat, lift, and be happy, even though you may have a small gut like I do. I never get technical with my diet when I'm bulking.

It's all about choices bro. If that little gut is cool with you, more power to ya.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Chilled response there GT, nice one. :)

Syntekz, carbs do have a more metabolism-reving effect it seems, compared to fat or protein [despite protein being the more thermogenic of the three macros] but if it's a few cheat days then why not just eat as you please and get all/any cravings out the way for another good 6 weeks hard dieting?

Celestial
01-18-2002, 12:42 PM
I dont "Cheat" If I want chocolate or somethign etc I will eat it...in moderation is the key!!! If you want something eat it!!! I dunno maybe its jsut me but the damn box of twinkie will always be at the super market and the dell taco will always be on the corner....people need more control:p :D hehe seriously moderation is the key...;least for me

Reinier
01-18-2002, 01:20 PM
i havent touched chocolate since february last year.
I havent eaten fries since april.

I was 45% once. im not going back. ever.

i dont even like the taste of fat anymore.

cheat days suck. the whole easy part in diet for me is i dont even remember how those things taste, so how could i long for em

Wizard
01-18-2002, 08:11 PM
45??? :confused: