PDA

View Full Version : Easy On The Go Low-Carb Snacks!

FighterInSnatch
09-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Anyone got any? I'm having trouble on my low-carb days while at school and work. Any suggestiosn would be great. Thanx

Ryan a.k.a FighterInSnatch

zimbo
09-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Cottage cheese, beef jerky, small cans of tuna (with pop-top lid), chicken breasts. None are particularly cheap, unfortunately.

--Steve

Unreal
09-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Nuts. Just got a 3lb sack of raw almonds at costco for $15 to snack on.

Holto
09-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Start eating a balanced diet.

There is nothing magical about carbs.

Built
09-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Except that they make you hungry, and he may be carb cycling.

Try hard boiled eggs.

Holto
09-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Except that they make you hungry

Do they make a healthy person hungry ?

I sure don't have a problem

Built
09-11-2005, 02:34 PM
They do tend to make many people who are otherwise healthy feel hungry, yes.

Glad they don't do this to you. But it is a fairly common response. Particularly as we age. Insulin response, insulin resistance, loss of LBM, yada yada yada...

The concept of a "balanced" diet IS important. The problem is that "balance" is an outcome, not an input. If your diet is working for you, it's balanced. If it isn't, I don't care WHAT genius came up with the concept, but it ain't balanced for you. And what worked for you at 20 may not work for you at 30 or 40, even if you stay healthy and active through this period of time.

I'm finding as I get older that fat is more and more important to me, for proper endocrine support and for satiety. I'm also finding as I'm leaner and more musclular that I'm handling carbs somewhat better than I used to, and that I seem to need more protein.

It's an interesting puzzle.

FighterInSnatch
09-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Yes, I am carb cycling.

Built, boiled eggs is the route i'd like to go, since they are cheap. What should I do as far as storing them though? and what about school, we ahve a really nice kitchen at my gym where i work, so thats not a problem. Also just a side note , I only have school on monday wednesday from 12pm-9pm with periodic breaks.

Built
09-11-2005, 03:54 PM
They stay pretty fresh in their shells at room temperature. I boil mine at night, let them cool, and leave them out overnight to eat them in the morning, and I'm not dead yet. :)

A handful of raw nuts and a protein shake is another option for you. Natural peanut butter in celery sticks ... you can just cut up the celery and put it in a baggie, and use the PB as dip ... if you don't share it with anyone else (double dipping = yuck LOL!).

Built
09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Oh, another trick since you have a kitchen: put a salad in a baggie, keep dressing and tuna at work. Toss the tuna and some dressing into the salad baggie, massage, and eat.

Nice with avocado slices on top, if you have the extra half a minute to peel the avocado. I buy half a dozen avocados at a time and keep them in varying states of ripeness in and out of the fridge so I always have one to eat if I want one.

FighterInSnatch
09-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Awesome, sounds like a plan. Thanx alot Built :)