PDA

View Full Version : Condiments

WILLGETNICE
09-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Any suggestions or brand names you guys use for condiments? I'm an A-1 fan but I'm getting tired of constantly having it and need something besides that. I also use red wine vinegar on my salads and spicy or honey mustard on sandwiches.

muscleup
09-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Light Ranch
Mauls BBq sauce
Light Mayo
Soy Sauce

I have to attack my chicken breasts with anything I can find because I can barely stomach it anymore.

HILL
09-14-2005, 12:18 PM
ketchup wit almost everything for me like

Jorge Sanchez
09-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Ketchup and mustard for me.

Ricochet_kid
09-15-2005, 06:26 AM
HOT SAUCE!

This is one of the most important condiment in the WORLD. I love hot sauce, it comes in lots of shapes, sizes, and types and you can put it on almost anything. My bedtime snack last night was one cup of diced steak with some 'Franks RedHot' on it.

If you can buy them in your area, you can also get a can of chipotle peppers. They have a deep smoky flavor and can be added to plenty of foods to change the flavor. You probably want to add them before the cooking is done in most cases though, so I'm not sure if they qualify as a condiment officially.

Another thing is take some tomatoes (roma/plum are best IMO) halve them, and then put them on a baking sheet cut side-up. Then drizzle some olive oil on them, and some balsamic vinegar, some kosher salt(coarse salt) and a bit of thyme and/or garlic powder if you want. Then you bake them in the oven at a low temperature for about 3 hours. Don't take them out too soon! This is the most common mistake here. Once they are done, your whole house will smell amazing, and you'll be drueling. Then you can put them in a small jar with some olive oil. Or eat them warm on slices of toasted bread, or crackers. You can chop them up and use the result as a kind of relish. You can add some minced shallots or green onion if you want and some pepper. It's incredible. It's a good time of year to do this because if you go to a farmers market you can probably get big tubs of tomatoes for cheap.

You can make all sorts of flavored oils for condiments, olive oil is good for you. :-)

You can make peanut sauce pretty easy by taking some natty pb and mixing it with some sesame oil, lime juice, garlic, clilantro, and cayenne.

Sheesh there's tonnes of stuff.

How about some relishes, you can make relishes easily just by chopping up some pickles and pickled peppers. You can experiment with different combinations. I like the zestier ones, and not the sweet ones, but there are lots of combinations out there.
If you can find some pickled turnip this is wicked.

You can take a can of mushrooms drained and rinsed, and chop them up, then mix in the juice of one big lemon, and freshly ground pepper and maybe a bit of salt. This is a nice thing to spoon onto lots of foods. Or if you don't chop the mushrooms up you can eat it like a cold mushroom salad.

Pico-de-gallo, (basically salsa) take some tomatoes, a jalapeno, some onion, cilantro, salt and garlic powder and dice them all up nice and small, and voila. Instead of cilantro and jalapeno, you can add some (lots) of chopped fresh basil, or chopped fresh mint. Maybe a bit of olive oil if it needs it. (I find it depends on how acidic the tomatoes are, experiment.)

One of my favorite comfort foods, again - not a condiment really, but along this vein is to take a can of diced tomatoes and dump it in a bowl then put some salt and pepper on it, and spoon it onto hot rye toast. It's wicked.

guacamole - avocado, lime juice, tomatoes, minced green onion (if you want), salt & pepper to taste. <-- wicked.

hummus - can of chick peas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt, olive oil or water <-- wicked

babaganoush - roasted eggplant (broiled in the oven, or even the barbecue), lemon juice, tahini or yogurt, salt, garlic, parsley, olive oil. <-- wicked

I think I could go on forever.

djreef
09-15-2005, 09:34 AM
I think you should go on for ever. I've printed this one.

DJ

Ricochet_kid
09-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Here's a couple more off the top of my head.

Pesto - super easy to make (like 3 minutes) and lasts in the fridge for a long time. You can make it with toasted almonds or pine nuts. Then you can put it on chicken, or pasta.

Oyster sauce - sometimes hard to find in the grocery store, but it has a really nice distinctive flavor, great as a grilling sauce on beef, or a dipping sauce for chicken. Nice thick shiny texture.

Satay sauce - they make lots of kinds of pepper or peanut satay sauces that you can buy in the grocery store, again, really nice, but most are really spicy too.

Nuoc cham, or fish sauce. - There are tonnes of different kinds of this stuff, you'll have to find one that you like based on your fishy tolerance, this is really nice with pork, or chicken, it is often used to add to brothy soups. (It is my secret ingredient in clam/seafood chowder as well.) You'd probably have the most luck finding this in china town, or some of the larger grocery stores have started carrying it. It is made with fermented fish, so alot of people don't like it, but alot of people absolutely love it too. It's pretty cheap, and worth a try.

Balsamic reductions - oh my! this is something else, you just take a pot of balsamic vinegar and reduce it down, it gets syrupy and full-bodied, a little sweet even, you can drizzle this on chicken, once you taste it you'll probably want to put it on everything, grilled brocolli, asparagus, chicken, you name it. It is a great starting point too, you can modify it by putting some cloves in there or whatever (for a really interesting flavor) or cinnamon, or whatever you want. Experiment is the name of the game. Once you make it, it keeps in the fridge for quite awhile. (I've had my last batch in the fridge for 3 weeks, and I had it on barbecued shrimp skewers 2 days ago and it was great.) One thing to keep in mind. Don't burn it! if you burn it you'll never get it off the pan/pot. It gets hard like cement, and if you just start to burn it, the flavor goes to hell.

Unsweetened Applesauce - don't forget how good this can be as a condiment. It is wonderful with oatmeal, and with pork, sometimes even with chicken, if the chicken is marinated to fit in with it.

That's another thing, muscleup talked about not being able to stomach his chicken breasts anymore.. Think marinades too, not only condiments, there must be millions of marinades for chicken out there to try and experiment with. Chicken is very versatile that way.

Ricochet_kid
09-15-2005, 10:55 AM
I meant to say toasted walnuts instead of almonds for the pesto, but almonds might work too.

thajeepster
09-15-2005, 06:25 PM
http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm

great on absolutely everything.