PDA

View Full Version : Critique my diet

Scottyboy
09-15-2005, 04:47 PM
I've read the "What a Bodybuilder Eats" thread and have made some significant changes to my diet. I couldn't go cold turkey from eating the crap I was to what's in that thread so I've made some substitutions. Please me let know exactly how bad for me these substitutions are so I can consider forcing myself to get used to what is recommended in the other thread. Here's what I'm eating.

Peanuts, honey roasted and dry roasted
Smoked almonds
4% milkfat cottage cheese
Filet Mignon
Low Fat chunky peanut butter
Kix or Cheerios with skim milk
Sandwiches with chicken/turkey from the breast, sliced swiss and lowfat dressing
Quaker Oats oatmeal
ON protein shakes
Designer Whey protein bars

Pretty much everything else I eat is straight out of that thread, so let me know how bad these substitutions are.

getfit
09-15-2005, 04:49 PM
add veggies some fruit

is the pb natty?

do you eat eggs?

Scottyboy
09-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh I eat other stuff than what I have listed, what I was saying is that everything else that I eat is taken directly from "What a Bodybuilder Eats" so I didn't bother to list everything. What I listed is what I eat that either was not on that list or is a substitue for something on that list. I really don't like natty PB but if there is a huge difference between that and skippy low fat I guess I can try and get used to it. That's why I'm trying to find out.

getfit
09-15-2005, 05:02 PM
in regular pb there's hydrogenated veg oil-trans fats

and natty pb is only roasted peanuts! mix the oil in!

Built
09-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh I eat other stuff than what I have listed, what I was saying is that everything else that I eat is taken directly from "What a Bodybuilder Eats" so I didn't bother to list everything. What I listed is what I eat that either was not on that list or is a substitue for something on that list. I really don't like natty PB but if there is a huge difference between that and skippy low fat I guess I can try and get used to it. That's why I'm trying to find out.
The reason we eat peanut butter IS the fat! Low-fat peanut butter is crap. Just get natural peanut butter - I like Adams crunchy, salted. Unsalted just tastes like wallpaper paste to me. And stir in the oil! Store it upside down or in the fridge once you've stirred it to keep the oil mixed in.

Scottyboy
09-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks, I'll try that stuff. All of my other foods look OK besides that?

getfit
09-16-2005, 10:09 AM
what is Kix?

ZDrax
09-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Kix is a cereal. Choosy Moms choose Kix.

getfit
09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
ahh ok! well if it's one of those super sugary cereals i wouldn't have it!

malkore
09-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Try Fiber One Honey Clusters for a cereal. Way higher in fiber, still tastes good, crunchy.
Cheerios ain't 'bad'...but there's better stuff.

If yer bulking, go for 1% fat cottage cheese, and skip the low-fat dressing. 'Low-fat' is usually synonymous with 'increased-carbs' typically from high fructose corn syrup, which corrects the food texture lost by removing the fat. HFCS is bad...illicits a large insulin spike, even when eaten with other low GI carbs. If you're talking about an italian dressing for your sandwich, make your own with virgin olive oil...its healthier fat.

Scottyboy
09-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm definetly not worried about eating too many carbs. I've been using fitday on and off and my carbs are usually below 200. It's the fat that I have trouble keeping down, thus low fat makes more sense for me. Also I'm very active, I bike every morning for about an hour, hit the gym hard, and play sports 2-4 days a week.

Built
09-18-2005, 12:07 AM
It's understandable that you would want to keep your calories down on a cut. But healthy fat will actually help support your endocrine system - part of which is test production.

I aim to keep fats >0.5g/lb lbm for this reason. **

**Dorgan J, et al. Effects of dietary fat and fiber on plasma and urine androgens and estrogens in men: a controlled feeding study. Am J Clin Nutr 64(6): 850-855. 1996.