PDA

View Full Version : Deficit/Surplus causes bf % change, but what about newbie muscle gains?

Nosaj
09-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Okay so I'm trying to help give someone advice on their diet. We've got his calories at about 2500, protein at 300g, fat at 100g (he weighs 190lbs) and the rest in carbs. His question to me was "How will I know if I gained weight from an increase in muscle?" He's going to stick to this diet for 2 weeks and see how things go. I know at a calorie deficit, LBM should not increase, but would it be possible for him to make newbie gains while on a cal deficit and theoretically gain weight while recompositioning? If he's looking at the scale and seeing the # go up, even though he might be looking better in the mirror (it might not be that noticable to him) and therefore he might get discouraged. I'm not sure if I am being very clear at all, or if I've made any big mistakes, but if you guys could look this over and let me know what you think I'd appreciate it.

HILL
09-16-2005, 03:30 AM
for a newbie recomposition is possible as we all have found out at the start or i did. The only way to do this properly would be to purchase so accurate calipers and get some1 who knows how to use them to test his bf%. then if and when his weight goes up he can check his bf/5 in say a month and if it hasnt increased then its likely muscle he his gaining and not fat. it could be a bit water but it is s hard to tell. Id get him to take a photo now train and eat his arse off take another in 6 months. then cut down to were the weight he was and let him see the extra muscle he is holding.

Tony H
09-16-2005, 03:37 AM
I'd tell him to just stay the hell off of scales altogether for a while. Have him weigh himself once a month or less, first thing in the morning.

You can't weigh yourself day to day looking for changes and not get discouraged. He should focus on sticking to his diet, drinking plenty of water, taking his vitamins, etc. If at the end of a good period of sticking to the diet and routine, like a month or so, his weight has not changed...then check his body fat and determine if the diet should change.

Unreal
09-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Two weeks is nothing. Tell him to weight himself in 6 weeks.

muscleup
09-16-2005, 07:54 AM
How tall is he? Has he ever lifted b4? I'm not sure I would put him in a calorie deficit if he is just starting lifting. He will probably gain muscle and lose some fat at maintenance or a couple 100 up from maint for the first month. Just let him know muscle weighs more than fat and hide the scale.

spanky33
09-16-2005, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't even worry too much about diet and weight right now. If he's new, and if he keeps his diet the same and just starts lifting weights, he'll notice a difference in the mirror after 2 or 3 months. My opinion is that he should ignore his weight right now.