PDA

View Full Version : breathing pullovers

squat it all!
09-16-2005, 02:31 PM
i've read a lot about high-rep squats supersetted with high-rep "breathing" pullovers. old-time bodybuilders used to swear by this as a way of boosting one's overall routine. anyone have experience with this?

Sensei
09-16-2005, 02:40 PM
i've read a lot about high-rep squats supersetted with high-rep "breathing" pullovers. old-time bodybuilders used to swear by this as a way of boosting one's overall routine. anyone have experience with this?

It's central to the "Super Squats" program by Randall Strossen. The program is good and I and a lot of my friends have gained a lot of weight on it.

Pullovers are a great exercise, but it's hard to see the gains and benefits, which is probably why most people don't do them anymore.

squat it all!
09-16-2005, 03:24 PM
cool. thanks. why did you and your friends stop, if the gains were good?

Sensei
09-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Well, (as far as Super Squats go) we didn't really want to gain weight anymore for one. For two, it's not fun doing high rep squats - after a while, you just dread going to the gym. For three, we started powerlifting and we realized the gains didn't really transfer well to limit strength. As a change, it's great but not something I'd want to do all the time.

Songsangnim
09-16-2005, 10:02 PM
I used to do this pullover/squat program. It was good and I experienced some fair gains. The problem was that it just can't be done year around (at least that's what I found). It's just too draining both mentally and physically and takes a toll on the joints, again that's my experience. Also like Mr. Sensei said it's not the best program for building strength.

Holy Cow I agree with Mr. Sensei on something!

Tomorrow the earth will open and swallow us all. :cool:

Sensei
09-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Holy Cow I agree with Mr. Sensei on something!

Tomorrow the earth will open and swallow us all. :cool:

I guess you're not wrong ALL the time! :windup: