PDA

View Full Version : Going organic

Jorge Sanchez
09-16-2005, 09:14 PM
So I have decided to switch to an organic diet. I haven't yet decided whether or not I will cut out meat altogether; I will definetly still eat fish, and I think I'm going to stick with chicken and turkey, but cut out all red meat. I will probably also keep dairy since it is a huge part of my diet.

I was just wondering if anyone else ate only organic, and what their experience has been with it.

Any personal experience with organic diets or suggestions about brands, recipes, or ways to help meet my caloric goals would be appreciated.

Thanks.

getfit
09-17-2005, 01:38 AM
my sister use to run an organic catering company if i can get in touch with her soon i'll let you know exactly what brands she used!

Jorge Sanchez
09-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks, that'd be awesome.

getfit
09-17-2005, 09:35 AM
i've emailed her and i'm sure she'll respond today or tomorrow i'll let you know! :)

rocknrollsoul
09-17-2005, 01:46 PM
where do you live, Jorge? are there co-op grocerys or Whole Foods stores around? I eat organic when I can, and about half of my grocery shopping is done there. I'll tell ya, its damn tricky being on a tight budget and yet trying to eat healthier... Some staples I get from the co-op are spirulina and emerald energy in bulk, eggs, milk, produce...

YungLifter
09-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Expect your bill to be hgiher when you go shopping. And how sure are you that what your buying is actually organic?

BG5150
09-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Why are you cutting out red meat, but still may eat fish chicken and turkey? And by red meat, does that mean just beef? Or will you not eat buffalo, venison, etc?

And I don't understand: why don't people consider fish as a meat?

getfit
09-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Expect your bill to be hgiher when you go shopping. And how sure are you that what your buying is actually organic?
if you're buying organic veggies or fruit they will have their own section!

with other stuff it will say on the package!

Patz
09-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Wild Oats is a good organic grocery..

Jorge Sanchez
09-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Rocknroll: I have looked into organic stores around my place and I have found a few, but I haven't checked any out yet.

Yunglifter: I know my bill will be higher but I am going to get my parents to pay for it in exchange for cooking dinner. One of the perks of living at home. And I'll just check the package to see if it is organic.

BG: I would ideally like to cut out all meat, except there is no way that I could get enough calories or protein without meat. And I will not be eating beef, bison, pork, or any other red meat.

I do consider fish a meat actually, but alot of vegetarians eat it and still consider themselves vegetarian for some reason. I'm not sure why.

Mrelwood: Thanks for the info, I'll try to see if there is one nearby.

getfit
09-17-2005, 03:25 PM
i found a few links that you might be interested in!

www.localharvest.org

www.freshfood.co.uk

Berkely farmers Markets

email:bfm@ecologycenter.org

getfit
09-17-2005, 03:28 PM
www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html ;)

Jorge Sanchez
09-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the sites getfit. I see you're in mtl. I'm not sure if they have Loblaws there, but have you (or anyone else) ever heard anything negative or positive about PC Organics? Those are probably the most convenient for me to get, but I don't entirely trust them for some reason.

getfit
09-17-2005, 03:43 PM
yes we have loblaws here and i buy often PC organics!

no don't worry! when my sister was here she read through them carefully and she thought their products were good and she's experienced with organic foods so i trust her! so go for it :)

Jorge Sanchez
09-17-2005, 03:45 PM
OK, good to know. I appreciate all your help.

getfit
09-17-2005, 03:46 PM
:)

Holto
09-18-2005, 01:58 PM
yes we have loblaws here and i buy often PC organics!

Thank god for loblaws.

Almost everything I eat is organic except my meats.

When I decide I can afford it I will go all organic.

In addition to the health benefits the effect on the environment is tremendous.

Not to mention the economic repercussions of giving money to small companies that care about our health VS Big-Agra.

getfit
09-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Thank god for loblaws.

Not to mention the economic repercussions of giving money to small companies that care about our health VS Big-Agra.
:thumbup: :nod:

Jorge Sanchez
09-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Thank god for loblaws.

Ya, I'm doing it for environmental as opposed to health reasons. The health benefits are just a bonus.

Bruise Brubaker
09-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Organic food is rare here and is just too expensive, I guess people aren't sensibilize enough to it, they don't believe that there is really a difference, they're like "huh, a fruit is a fruit".

Anyway this article is interesting: http://www.foodnews.org/reportcard.php
It says that things like bananas have much less pesticides residues than say, strawberries.

getfit
09-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Organic food is rare here and is just too expensive, I guess people aren't sensibilize enough to it, they don't believe that there is really a difference, they're like "huh, a fruit is a fruit".

Anyway this article is interesting: http://www.foodnews.org/reportcard.php
It says that things like bananas have much less pesticides residues than say, strawberries.
intersting article!