PDA

View Full Version : Smaller but stronger?

nejar462
09-17-2005, 09:40 AM
HEy guys I have a question because something VERY strange happened to me. I decided to finally cut weight (I'm getting into endurance sports now) so I began cutting cals out of my diet and also cut out my cheat meals. Now I didn't change ANYTHING else at all training regimen except I added HIIT sprints 3 days out of the week (I do westside pretty much standard except with fewer reps than normal for hypertrophy exercises.) Now I figure I cut about 20 lbs. However, my lifts didn't go down or stay the same at all. They actually went up substantially. I added about 30 pounds to my squat (which is now a nice even 510.5) and about 20 lbs to my benchpress. Normally I don't get such good gains in my lifts in such short time.

I used to be 5'2.5 at 195 lbs. (I've been lifting for about 5 years while being more or less on target with diet and training except for exam weeks.) Now I'm around 175 lbs and looking to get down to around 160 to see if my lifts continue to increase and if I get some more endurance and of course a better looking body.

My wrestling coach once said some guys get stronger at lower weights but I just assumed he was talking about of his ass because it doesn't make sense to me logically. However it seems to me thats whats happening to me. Any explanations. My training regimen is pretty much the same except for the added HITT so any incite on this would be nice. Dietwise I cut out my once a week cheat meal and reduced cals all around.

BTW im going to try an all atlarge supplementation program+2 tbls of flax oil, I'll tell you guys how it goes after 2 months. Chris mason and Hulk please start selling fish oil and flax oil!!!!

fixationdarknes
09-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Being smaller doesn't make you "stronger." That's total BS. All it does is cut potential strength from your muscles.

"Once you are able to recruit and use nearly all the muscle you have then the only way to improve is to increase the amount of horsepower that each contracting muscle cell generates. You do this by increasing the amount of protein contained in each muscle cell or, simply, get bigger muscles. When you do this a given motor unit will now put out more force when it fires since the muscle cells under it's control are now bigger."

And what's the question? If your lifts went up and you're doing well, then you have no problem. You increased your muscular motor unit recruitment so much that with smaller muscles, you're still stronger. If you gained weight, you'd get even stronger.

nejar462
09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Well this doesn't make any sense to me and flies directly in the face of pretty much everyone who has ever lifted successfully has told me. I was wondering if anyone could provide an explanation for it. It's a rumour within grappling circles I've been in that some people get stronger at lighter weights for an unknown reason but I chalked it up to BS until I did it. I literally added this much to my lifts within a 5 week period. I thought it might have to do with my motor recruitment as well. But I've been doing westside for awhile and my gains were pretty much minimal for a long time. It seems odd that my motor recruitment would shoot up simultaneously while I was cutting.

Hazerboy
09-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Might try looking at it this way.

Lets say conditions are ideal and you lost 20 pounds of fat. Now you have the same amount of muscle and less fat, so you're just as strong but when you're squatting you no longer have to squat the weight+ 20 lbs of body fat, just the weight, so you should be able to squat at least 20 lbs more. As for the other 10 lbs you've added to your squat? You've probably increased your motor recruitment.

Doesn't explain to much of your squat but is just another way of looking at things.

SkinnySadMan
09-17-2005, 06:58 PM
If someone was to train to get stronger but not bigger, can he still get stronger by eating normal amounts of food, or do you still have to eat a lot of food? Cause I hate trying to eat so much. You finish eating, your full. 2-3 hours later you know you have to eat again.... that 2-3 hours seems to fly by in "no time".

fixationdarknes
09-17-2005, 09:59 PM
If someone was to train to get stronger but not bigger, can he still get stronger by eating normal amounts of food, or do you still have to eat a lot of food? Cause I hate trying to eat so much. You finish eating, your full. 2-3 hours later you know you have to eat again.... that 2-3 hours seems to fly by in "no time".

You can get stronger without eating in a caloric surplus...but it's easier to get stronger when bulking.

nejar462
09-18-2005, 10:46 AM
I have been losing a lot of fat and getting more energetic. I feel a lot better at this lighter weight than I did when I all bulked up. Maybe my recruitment went up slightly and other gains are just from loss of fat. Also maybe I have a bit more energy now that I'm lighter.

fixationdarknes
09-18-2005, 10:47 AM
You should be proud of yourself then...you gained strength on a cut. Not a lot of people do that.

body
09-18-2005, 11:45 AM
you probably got better at the techniques thus you can squat more.

nejar462
09-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Yeah I guess a lot of little things added up to give me a big boost especially when i was expecting a loss....

galileo
09-21-2005, 10:37 AM
-20 bodyfat, +30 squat = +10 squat

Anthony
09-21-2005, 10:50 AM
-20 bodyfat, +30 squat = +10 squat

:withstupi

And a 510lbs squat at 175 is damn impressive.

fixationdarknes
09-21-2005, 11:01 AM

Yeah that really is. Ever think of entering powerlifting competitions?

nejar462
09-24-2005, 10:26 AM
haha, all my other lifts stink ass. I'd get murdered. My Bench is only like 300 and I haven't done any deads for awhile. Plus I have no idea how to use or purchase shirts.

drew
09-24-2005, 08:03 PM
1. You just got stronger. Some people can, most can't. It probably won't last forever, so enjoy it now.

2. I agree, a 510 squat is great at 175.

3. PL comps are a lot of fun and worth trying. You don't need to use a shirt to bench (I don't, and my bench is much worse than yours). 300 is a pretty damn good bench for your weight (especially if you drop to 160). You should be able to deadlift at least 400 and probably more if you work on it.

squat it all!
10-02-2005, 10:13 AM
yeah, first off, awesome squat! just FYI, i too have gotten stronger while cutting. i agree 100% with those who've said it's due to improved motor unit recruitment plus not having to move all that fat around.

MixmasterNash
10-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Yeah it is. But they should still factor in the distance the weight is moved. Us tall, skinny guys will never have a chance! :D