PDA

View Full Version : cardio

titan_014
09-18-2005, 02:36 PM
i started working out then quite. now im about to start back. i way 223 ibs. can i just do cardio till i way about 190 then start working out with weights or do both or just weight lifting :windup:

getfit
09-18-2005, 02:38 PM
diet+lifting+cardio= weight loss!

Jorge Sanchez
09-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Hit the weights for sure. It will help you hold on to muscle while you drop the weight. Also, when you lift weights your metabolism is sped up for a few hours afterwards, as opposed to cardio where the calorie burning benefits are over as soon as your heart rate returns to normal. But cardio is a good idea too because it will help you burn some calories, but mostly just because it is good for the heart.

Losing weight will require that you take a close look at your diet though. Check out the diet and nutrition forum.

Kayo
09-18-2005, 03:11 PM
dont make the same mistake i was i was overweight lost all the fat just by running so then i ended up looking like a rake

titan_014
09-18-2005, 05:47 PM
so basically do both but just maybe more cardio than weightlifting

Built
09-18-2005, 05:49 PM
No.

Other way around.

WEIGHT loss is diet.

Fat loss happens if you can somehow convince your body to hang onto muscle (that's the heavy weightlifting part). As an added perk, the lifting raises your metabolism for hours (and even days) after you lift. Cardio won't do this.

Cardio lets you eat slightly more while you maintain a caloric deficit.

Unreal
09-18-2005, 06:05 PM
As someone who has lost >100lbs, weight lifting is where its at. I've seen many other people that have done the same as me, and they are all now just sacks of flabby skin. Its gross. Lift hard, eat good, and if your bored, do some cardio.