PDA

View Full Version : Mastering the Insulin Spike

Mercuryblade
09-20-2005, 01:39 AM
After a workout I know its good to spike up the insulin as it increases nutrient uptake, but how much simple sugars should I consume. My Nitrean is supposedly going to arrive either thursday or Friday, and I'm going to start consuming a post workout shake instead of my usual huge glass of orange juice, and bryers yogurt (the natural stuff thats low fat but still has the high fructose corn syrup in it) anyway, how much sugar should I add to my shake? (BTW I'm mixing in oats and milk with the chocolate Nitrean)

Holto
09-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Don't use the orange juice, yogurt, oats or milk if you want an insulin spike.

The milk and oats will delay gastric emptying. This is your stomach releasing it's content (chyme) into the small intestine where it is absorbed into the body.

The oj and yougurt have the WRONG kind of sugar. Fructose will hang out in your liver squelching any insulin response.

If you want to know what kind of sugar to take do a search for Dextrose and or Maltodextrin.

Mercuryblade
09-20-2005, 11:37 AM
So water, nitrean, and dextrose or maltodextrin, will this taste alright?

Wierz
09-20-2005, 11:42 AM
As a small side note, if you're going to be using Nitrean as an after workout shake, and you're looking to manage insulin spikes - the carbs in Opticen are maltodextrin. About 25g per serving if I remember right.

Holto
09-20-2005, 12:06 PM

Only one way to find out :cool:

Optimum08
09-22-2005, 08:28 PM

yes this is my PWO shake everyday...about ~14 oz. of water + 2 scoops of protein (i use ON Whey PWO and Nitrean everywhere else) + dextrose=not bad tasting...

crazyaoshi
09-23-2005, 05:58 PM
The protein I use is over 90% protein, very little carbs or fat. So in order to get that insulin spike [which I just learned about less than a week ago] I've been blending it with water and prunes because yes they have fructose but they have twice as much glucose as fructose. It's too soon to tell if it's making a difference than what I was doing before [drinkable yogurt and protein only].

So my question is if prunes are a stupid idea to mix with a post workout shake, should I buy weight-gainer type whey? I can't find pure dextrose for sale, but I'm guessing that's what's in the gainer shake whey. Is that right?

thajeepster
09-23-2005, 06:20 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dex.html

[[[----]]]
09-23-2005, 07:38 PM
What about gatorade?

Built
09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Gatorade powder is okay, but the liquid one has fructose in it for some weird reason.

[[[----]]]
09-23-2005, 10:42 PM
So like one scoop of gatorade powder in a shake built?

Built
09-23-2005, 11:05 PM
I dunno. Depends how much dextrose you want, I guess. I don't use gatorade powder - you'll have to read the label. I would IMAGINE that it's MOSTLY dextrose.

I think the standard guidelines for PWO are two g carb per gram protein ... I've read 0.8g/kg carbs:0.4g/kg protein in a few places...

[[[----]]]
09-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Well thank ya beautiful!! hehe

Built
09-23-2005, 11:31 PM
:kiss:

crazyaoshi
09-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Well I went looking and couldn't find any dextrose/corn sugar/corn syrup. This is probably yet another example of a problem I wouldn't have if I were still in the USA.

So my new question is if I can't find dextrose, what is the next best thing I can likely find in Tokyo without having to go to a special import food shop? At the grocery store for example, they have white table sugar [sucrose] brown sugar [sucrose] beet sugar and cane sugar. No powdered Gatorade either. There is a sports drink called "pocari sweat" that looks promising. There is also Gatorade in liquid form, which was determined to be bad, plus a couple other sports drinks, for example "Aquarius" and "Amino Value".

Please, any advice would be appreciated. I'm making due with glucose from prunes for now, but the sooner I can find the bext possible choice I'll do that.

Holto
09-24-2005, 10:37 AM
I'd go with the cane sugar.

Spartan936
09-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I always used honey. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has glucose and sucrose in it, correct? Anyone see anything wrong with teh bee juice for PWO?

crazyaoshi
09-24-2005, 02:41 PM
According to nutritiondata.com, honey's most abundant sugar type is fructose followed by glucose. Prunes however indeed have fructose but they have twice as much glucose as they do fructose.

Cane sugar's breakdown isn't listed. I'll also be on the lookout for smarties/sweet tarts if they sell them here. And if possible home brew stores, though I've never seen one here.

viperc8
09-25-2005, 09:36 AM
is it really a big thing to get the right type of sugar in ur system after workout?? I thought any carbs and protein shake will make it spike..

Spartan936
09-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks crazyyoashi. So honey is not the greatest because of the fructose.

viper8 - It has to be a fast acting sugar like cane sugar or dextrose, and a lean protein source like whey. Fiber and fat are no good pwo because they aren't absorbed quickly enough.

Built
09-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Cane sugar is half fructose. (sucrose is dextrose bonded to fructose)

Pick something else.

Holto
09-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks Built, didn't know that.

crazyaoshi
09-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Well the best thing I could find after reading this thread and others on the post workout dextrose topic was powdered gatorade. There were other cheaper sports drink companies' powders too but I went with the more expensive gatorade because it's what was recomended here. Now I just hope Japanese gatorade is made of the same stuff its American counterpart is. The first ingedient listed for all brands [not just gatorade] is "sugar" followed by "grape sugar". The packaging is all in Japanese so it doesnt say what kind of sugar the first one is.

As a side note, I looked at the ingredients for a weight gainer shake and yes it was in Japanese but it clearly said "dextrin" as the main ingredient, which I guess is what they call dextrose here. When I asked the staff if they had just this sugar they said no and looked at me like I was crazy.

So I'll try this gatorade, whey and water thing for awhile and if it sucks, then I'll switch to the gainer shake post workout and the mostly protein whey any other time.

lifter4life
09-25-2005, 05:41 PM
dont think about the taste :evillaugh
I just started making a PWO shake like 3-4 weeks ago and i do it every week day and i still cant stand the taste. The only way for me to get over it mentally is to eat dog poop i think (not recommended).

Mercuryblade
09-25-2005, 08:11 PM
After making a nice PWO shake consisting of Nitrean, cane sugar (haven't gone out and bought glucose yet), and water, all I can say is ugh, ugh.

Spartan936
09-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks Built, didn't know that.

Nor did I... thanks!

tigo
09-28-2005, 05:39 AM
would these be ok substitutes for dextrose?

potatoes
corn syrup
corn

because i cant find it anywhere here and im kind of tired or ordering stuff online
(bad experience with creatine.. container was broken 2 out of 3 times took 3 weeks to get it)