PDA

View Full Version : In need of diet advice

dhtmldude
09-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Hello,

I have been lifting for about 3 months now. I've learned quite a bit about diet and nutrition as well as form and the actual movements. I need help structuring my diet mostly since I have learned that compound exercises are key for a guy my size. I'm currently 190lbs 6'2". My 2 year goal is to gain 50lbs over 2 years, at 1/2lb a week I think its accomplishable. However, without a solid understanding of what and how much I should be eating I am for sure going to fail - not an option.

I have a high metabolism. I can lose weight fast and eat anything I want and see few gains. As I get older its slowing down. I work a seated job and walk aprox 30 mins at a brisk pace to/from work.

I am working 5 days a week. I would like to think I push myself hard, altough when I am pumped to work out I usually dont end up getting the sore feeling after and I want to go back and do some more lifts. I am impatient but determined.

I have read that I should be eating fats, but I really dont I want to avoid them and stick to protein/carbs (in order of quantity)? I need help getting started with a "diet". I want to pack a lunch and eat by the clock. Your help is greatly appreciated, in whatever shape it comes.

Thank you

getfit
09-20-2005, 11:32 AM
no you need healthy fats!

soreness is not an indicator that you're not progressing!

Wierz
09-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Quoted from someone asking something similar not long ago.

All I can do is tell you what I've done to gain 15ish pounds.

No less than 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, but I eat about 1.5 grams per pound. It says you weigh 155 lbs, therefore try to get at least 210-230 grams of protein per day.

Eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day. Take your daily caloric needs (I'll go over this later) and split it up roughly between those 5 or 6 meals. I eat at 8am, 11am, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, and 9pm. This makes it easier to eat rather than stuffing yourself 3 times in one day. Also, I think this helps to keep your bloodsugar more stable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, plz.

Your daily caloric needs is trickier and only something that you can figure out, but I can give you a rough outline. You need to pay attention to the scale, and what you eat. Count the calories you eat in a day. As in, add them up. For your height and weight I would start around 3400-3600 calories. For a few weeks of eating this amount, track your weight. If you are gaining weight, you're in caloric surplus and you should keep going - don't forget to continually add calories slowly over the weeks. If you aren't gaining weight or losing weight and/or strength, you need to find a way to eat more calories to stimulate your body to add weight. Here is what my eating day looks like:

8am: Opticen Shake with 2% milk - 750 calories

11am: Chicken breast with some carb source (pasta, crackers, etc) - 600 calories

2pm: Chicken breast with carb source (pasta, crackers, fruit) - 700 calories

4pm: Pork Chops/Chicken with carb source - 650 calories

6pm: Chicken and salad and fruit - 650 calories

9pm: Either a smaller Opticen Shake (600 calories) or 2 Hard boiled eggs, small amt of chicken, and some pasta - 600 calories.

Total Calories: 3950
Protein: Around 210 grams roughly.

I am by no means an expert, but I think that will give you a good place to start from.

Anthony
09-20-2005, 11:43 AM
enter your typical meal plan into www.fitday.com, then adjust your plan for:

1+ grams of protein per pound of body weight

0.5+ grams of fat per pound of body weight

the rest of your calories from whatever combo of protein/fat/carbs you feel comfortable with

increase calories by 10-15% until you start gaining at the rate you want

Anthony
09-20-2005, 11:44 AM
And read all the diet/nutrition articles on this site for explanations on why you should do this.

dhtmldude
09-20-2005, 12:51 PM
no you need healthy fats!

soreness is not an indicator that you're not progressing!

How do I know I am gaining muscle mass and not just body fat then?

I am lifting as heavy as I can, maintaining form, until I have done all my reps and completely fatigued the muscle. Sometimes when I finish my set I immediately use a lighter weight to get the last ounces of energy out...

Built
09-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Why do you want to get the last ounces of energy out?

Anthony
09-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA) are fats the body requires, but cannot produce. They help repair cells, support several of your body's systems (cardiovascular, immune, nervous, etc), they regulate heart rate and blood pressure, they fight infection, and they help transport certain vitamins.

Now that you know why EFAs are good for you, take a look at what can happen if you're deficient: possible kidney and liver damage, hair loss, skin problems, ****ty immune system, joint problems, possible infertility, elevated blood pressure, etc.

The point is, good fats are ESSENTIAL. Don't ignore them.

As for your lifting, there are two ways to know if you are progressing: adding more weight to the bar and/or getting more reps. If you are doing one of the two, you're on the right track. Soreness means nothing. I'd even go so far as to say that soreness is a result of poor recovery, but some will argue with that.

dhtmldude
09-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Why do you want to get the last ounces of energy out?

I've read a technique where lifters extend their set using less weight past the fatigue point to get more tear out of the muscle fibres. Whether this works or not is debatable, but I figure I need all the help I can get...