PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to eat more while on campus

jole
09-20-2005, 11:50 AM
I recently moved into college, and with the student gym being so close and open all the time, I figured this was a good time to try to bulk up. But I have a question about food. How can I measure my caloric intake while eating food from the dorm's cafeteria? And has anybody tried eating 6 meals a day at college? I would like to hear people's stories/tips for trying to gain mass at college.

Edit: Also, I'm on a limited budget, so if your suggestion is to stop eating the cafeteria food, please post what/where I can buy foods rich in carbs/protein/fats for cheap.

getfit
09-20-2005, 11:57 AM
eggs
chicken
tuna
lean beef
cottage cheese
natty pb
olive oil
veggies
oats
milk
etc....

getfit
09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
diet/nutrition forum: "beast threads on diet and nutrition" have a look :)

jole
09-20-2005, 12:22 PM
I know, I looked at those, I'm talking about a diet specifically geared towards college students on a low budget, with tips on what is healthy to eat in a cafeteria where they prepare all the food for you.

Jorge Sanchez
09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
You could try asking the cafeteria if they have the nutritional value of the food they are serving you. I think they probably do. But failing that, you can just use fitday to estimate the number of calories. That's what I do; I rarely use the nutritional values on the packaging.

zimbo
09-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Does your cafeteria serve things like oatmeal, chicken breasts, scrambled eggs, or cottage cheese? I'm guessing it does. Fitday.com also has entries for stuff like lasagna, etc.

IMO, you should eat the cafeteria food since you're already paying for it. Assuming it's buffet style, you should buy some small tupperware containers and take an extra portion of individual foods for between meals. So, at breakfast take an extra helping of eggs or a bowl of oatmeal. During lunch, take an extra chicken breast, deli meat, or helping of lasagna and put it in the tupperware. You get the idea.

--Steve

DannyboyXJ
09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Does your cafeteria serve things like oatmeal, chicken breasts, scrambled eggs, or cottage cheese? I'm guessing it does. Fitday.com also has entries for stuff like lasagna, etc.

IMO, you should eat the cafeteria food since you're already paying for it. Assuming it's buffet style, you should buy some small tupperware containers and take an extra portion of individual foods for between meals. So, at breakfast take an extra helping of eggs or a bowl of oatmeal. During lunch, take an extra chicken breast, deli meat, or helping of lasagna and put it in the tupperware. You get the idea.

--Steve

Definitely eat the cafeteria food; I'm at MU right now and I have no problem eating healthy at the cafeterias. I mean sure, I cheat here and there (1 piece of pizza today), but its' easy to eat a lot of veggies, lean meats, etc.

Plus, go to the store and buy just a few things. I usually buy:

1.) gallon of milk (1%)
2.) natty PB
3.) wheat bread
4.) tuna (tons)
5.) yogurt

Along with some other things here and there, I buy the above at least once a week (milk and stuff at least).

That way, when you aren't at the cafeteria, you can still get some protein thrroughout the day and before bed for instance...

--Dan.

rookies
09-20-2005, 01:27 PM
I stop eating food at cafeteria long ago.
I couldnt believe how much it has changed the whole picture once I started counting cal and manage my macros. I can almost manage ur BF% and the rate of me gaining/losing weigh AT WILL.

I started counting cal 4-5 months ago when I decided to go cutting and get a control over my diet, and now I have dug out that six-pack I always had without working abs more than once a week in the past half year.

I live in at a college too and I must say it was real hard in the beginning to re-arrange your old eating habits. I buy raw food in supermarket and cook it myself, the plus is that its generally much cheaper to buy raw food from supermarket and cook it yourself than buying all those processed food.

As people mentioned, u would be doing fine if the cafe food has info on it or at least try to use fitday.com to keep track.
Anyway self-cooked food is DA BEST!

Unreal
09-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Clean food is cheap. Oats/protein/olive oil etc are stupid cheap. You can eat for a few bucks a day. Oats/whey/oil all can be stored easy, carried around, and need nothing more then some water/microwave to heat/enjoy.

Plus there is cans of tuna, and all sorts of other options.

Shao-LiN
09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
I know, I looked at those, I'm talking about a diet specifically geared towards college students on a low budget, with tips on what is healthy to eat in a cafeteria where they prepare all the food for you.

Use common sense. Grilled chicken, oats, yada yada.

DannyboyXJ
09-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Use common sense. Grilled chicken, oats, yada yada.

Exactly; all that's available at the cafeteria (at least at mine).

If you are paying for it; use it. Then next year, don't get a meal plan; or cancel yours early.

--Dan.

jole
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Instead of making a new thread I'll just ask this here, since it applies to college:

Since I'm in college, drinking is of course a big thing. I enjoy drinking, but there's the problem of calories coming from beer. How do you add those into counting calories for the day? I know it would be best to just not drink at all, but how do those calories get factored in?

Unreal
09-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Same as any other calories. Just they are empty carbs. Plus alcohol does other bad stuff for muscle building.

tigo
09-28-2005, 01:34 AM
mm most cafeterias at school dont ahve nutritional info (ithink)
usually what i do is eat stuff from the student store (chicken breasts, cottage cheese, milk, lean cuisines maybe).. theres probably a sandwich store on campus.. those are easier to gauge caloric value.. otherwise i check the menu for the cafeteria and if it says like rossetiere chicken, or roast beef or steak or anything like that i go there and load up on it.

also something else about cafeteria food..
the eggs arnt real eggs most cafeterias just this stuff from a can.. egg substitute.. and theres alot of starch in the food.. makes you full faster which would be bad if youre bulking

about the alcohol thing... i would think beer would be alrihgt since it has carbs and you are bulking.. not sure about the quality though.. just dont get wasted before a workout day.. no one wants to workout with a hnagover :angel:

btw what school are you at man?

jole
09-28-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm at Michigan State University.

p.s. GO GREEN!