PDA

View Full Version : Eggology

muscleup
09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Who drinks this stuff from the carton?
Eggology (http://www.eggology.com/tips.htm)
"Drinking Raw - Eggology is completely safe to drink raw, as it has been salmonella tested. For best assimilation of protein, always shake the bottle first. If you plan to make a protein drink, then it is best to stir or blend the drink for best protein absorption."

Canadian Crippler
09-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Drinking any egg whites from a carton as safe, dude.

AzBboy
09-23-2005, 10:52 PM
haha if I could stomach it I'd do it. Even worse is drinking vegetable juice. I made my own ''fear factory challenge'' to my lil cousins 5bucks whoever can chug a whole glas of veg juice...2 of 3 failed.

Shao-LiN
09-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Drinking any egg whites from a carton as safe, dude.

If they're pasteurized.

Kiaran
09-24-2005, 11:50 AM
wouldn't pasteurizing egg whites cook the egg white?

jack_of_all
09-24-2005, 01:49 PM
no, they pasteurize them in like the 160 degree range, its supposedly enough to **** up salmonella but without boiling the egg.

id cook your eggs, it denatures the avidin (which blocks biotin absorption and can give you a defficiency of it). i dunno if the pasteurization gets hot enough to break it down.

gettinjackT
09-24-2005, 02:08 PM
No they heat the eggs to a specific temp that will supposedly kill the salmonella, but will not cook the egg. From research I've read, I don't believe pasteurizing an egg will make it any more safe.

It is believed that salmonella is USUALLY found in egg yolks, not the white. However, only about one in every 30,000 eggs are infected.

The main problem with eating raw egg whites is that they contain a glycoprotein called avidin that is very effective at blocking biotin, so eating too many raw egg whites could lead to a biotin deficiency. Cooking the egg white deactivates the avidin. However, eating the whole egg compensates for this because the yolk contains LOTS of biotin.

So basically, too many raw egg whites can be bad unless you eat egg yolks with them.
I just eat the whole eggs raw or sometimes a cook them over easy. I'm not concerned about salmonella. Again it's very unlikely and a healthy person with a healthy digestive system should be only minimally affected by the salmonella bacteria, if at all.