PDA

View Full Version : How much protein can be digested in one sitting?

Mission
09-24-2005, 01:30 PM
There's the myth that only 50 grams of protein can be digested in one setting. Well, I just had a meal with about 57 grams of protein. Will 7 grams go to waste?

Kiaran
09-24-2005, 01:38 PM
I think that is probably just a guideline and everyone processes food differently. If you are throwing down hundreds of grams of protien in one sitting, I would probably say that you are wasting your efforts. I wouldn't be concerned with 7 grams or even 20 grams really.

Shao-LiN
09-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Your body will digest all that you give it. If it didn't, I could eat 500g of protein in one sitting and not gain any weight. That number is a myth. There is a point where your body will stop utilizing protein to repair/rebuild muscle and use it for other processes, such as gluconeogenesis, etc. but there is no universal number that your body will follow. Everyone is different.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Your body will digest all that you give it. If it didn't, I could eat 500g of protein in one sitting and not gain any weight. That number is a myth. There is a point where your body will stop utilizing protein to repair/rebuild muscle and use it for other processes, such as gluconeogenesis, etc. but there is no universal number that your body will follow. Everyone is different.:withstupi

There is a point where your body will stop utilizing protein to repair/rebuild muscle and use it for other processes, such as gluconeogenesis, etc.And body fat...

HILL
09-25-2005, 09:21 AM
There are a few possibly many threads on this so try a search. i agree with the above sometimes ill have 40g in one sitting but sometimes i know ive had 80/90g

Paul Stagg
09-25-2005, 11:16 AM
It's total bunk. It's been discussed over and over again. There is no limit. Anyone who says there is doesn't know what they are talking about, given the wide variation there would be among individuals.

For example, if you weigh 180 pounds, and I weigh 230 pounds, and I just lifted, and you just sat all day, do we still both just use 50g of the protein we eat in one sitting? How do you define a sitting?

So don't worry about it.