PDA

View Full Version : The results of bulking

heatwave345
09-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey guys

During the past month, I have been going on my first bulk. My main question is basically what are the results of a bulk? Sure, i definitly gained weight since i've been eating just about everything in sight... but it seems like I have a more chubbier look and a buffer look. Should I continue to eat eat eat until my target weight even if all of it seems like its going to my belly instead of my muscles.

thanks

diesel_dan
09-24-2005, 11:49 PM
the main results of a bulk should be more mass. for example: you start a bulk with 13inch biceps and hopefully end it with 14inch biceps.

Vitalize
09-25-2005, 06:47 AM
A 32 inch waist and end it with a 42 inch waist.

mattanshrager
09-25-2005, 08:22 AM
ye just keep lifting, maybe your not lifting well

dissipate
09-25-2005, 09:15 AM
your aim should most probably be to put on as much weight as possible with most of it being LBM. it's good to keep track of your weight and bodyfat while bulking if you're concerned about gaining too much fat.

HILL
09-25-2005, 09:19 AM
The idea is t put on muscle but you will gain fat as well. Also while on a bulk your strength should increase

Kaiser
09-25-2005, 03:18 PM
If you are gaining strength than I would think that you are on track.

Try tracking your macro's through fitday.com, it is a free and pretty easy way to keep track of things.

If you really think you are gaining too much fat than you can try dropping your cals a little bit but just make sure you are not dropping them enough to compromise your strength gains.

heatwave345
09-25-2005, 09:29 PM
ok thanks guys

I'm going to keep my diet until I gain about 10 more lbs and see if I'm gaining strength. What weight should a 5'11", male, 19 yr old be? I'm currently at 150 (up from 140).

thanks

ShockBoxer
09-25-2005, 09:50 PM
If you've gained 10 pounds you should have gained strength. How are your lifts? Are you happy with the strength gained and weight gain?

You shouldn't have to wait another 10 pounds to see results in your lifts.

Nosaj
09-26-2005, 02:21 AM
In my opinion, at 5'11" you shoulden't stop bulking until you're 180-200lbs. Then cut down to 8-15% (Until you feel comfortable with your look) then back up to 180-200. Your LBM will increase if your lifting and diet are on point, and you'll studlier in no time. Keep up the good work, it isin't easy, but it's worth it.

heatwave345
09-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey, i would like to update on my bulk and get some opinions as well

To tell you the truth, I really dissapointed with my bulk. It seems like I've been justing putting on weight into my belly and not seeing any (or minimal) gains.

I started to bulk around the beginning of september when I started college and had access to the gym and the buffet-style meals. I've been eating a lot, just about everything in sight. My diet is not perfectly healthy (which is OK on a bulk right?), but I do try to choose the healthy options in the cafeteria. I also lift 3 days a week. The only thing that I think I'm lacking is sleep as I get usually only 6 hrs / night. Do you guys think that's affecting my bulk.

I've gained about 15 lbs and looking at myself in the mirror, I do look bigger, but my belly sort of stands out. What am i doing wrong?

heatwave345
09-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Here's like a sample diet for me from yesterday.

B-fast:

granola bar
apple
water

lunch (cafeteria):
ham, turkey, cheese sandwich
pasta w/ maranara sauce (1 scoop of each)
three-bean chile (1 bowl)
chicken friend rice
2 cups OJ
apple nut muffin
corn (1 scoop)
cole slaw (1 scoop)

dinner (cafeteria):
curry beef w/ rice
salad
water
apple

pre-bed:
whey in skim milk (1 scoop)
jello
1 cup raisan bran
1 crissant

my workout is bascially the ones on the website with the cardio and leg portions removed. I also down 1 scoop of whey in water after my w/o

any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks

HILL
09-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Try and have 6 meals spread out through the day this helps eat more food but also keep your metabolism going and you dont feel lazy sluggish after a big meal. I read somewere maybe only have 4 meals for bulking but i prefered 6. count calories. Your maintanance maybe 2300 and you could be eating 3500 or 400 for all you know which will make you put on fat. Find your maintanence and add 500-700 cals ull keep fat to a minimum and add muscle. Then up again 500 cals when you stop gaining

heatwave345
09-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I really want to do that 6 small meals things, but due to classes and me being on a meal plan, it's really difficult.

sorry

DannyboyXJ
09-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I really want to do that 6 small meals things, but due to classes and me being on a meal plan, it's really difficult.

sorry

Go to the store; buy 2% milk, peanut butter, bread, (maybe some jelly), whole grain granola bars, and some good whole grain cereal. Plus, if money allows, go get some whey protein; a shake here and there in between meals if you're lacking in protein that day will work.

Use the above and you'll have what I eat all the time in between my 3-meals-a-day meal plan at MU... It's not hard; just takes a little extra money.

--Dan.

MasterOfPuppets
09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Do cardio, and drink some green tea. Just because you lift more doesn't mean hypertrophy. The more you weigh, the more you will be able to put up. (To a certain extent.) The cardio and green tea will help keep you lean. Instead of training like a bodybuilder, train like an athlete. :)

MOP

DannyboyXJ
09-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Yea, I'ma go get some green tea tomorrow. I need to go do cardio; I can already tell after lifting legs so much that I'm slower at running :(

CarlP
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Here's like a sample diet for me from yesterday.

B-fast:

granola bar
apple
water

lunch (cafeteria):
ham, turkey, cheese sandwich
pasta w/ maranara sauce (1 scoop of each)
three-bean chile (1 bowl)
chicken friend rice
2 cups OJ
apple nut muffin
corn (1 scoop)
cole slaw (1 scoop)

dinner (cafeteria):
curry beef w/ rice
salad
water
apple

pre-bed:
whey in skim milk (1 scoop)
jello
1 cup raisan bran
1 crissant

my workout is bascially the ones on the website with the cardio and leg portions removed. I also down 1 scoop of whey in water after my w/o

any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks

Work your legs too.

heatwave345
10-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Hey

Just a little update on my process. It's been about 1 month since my bulk, and yesterday I weighed in at 156 lb up from ~ 140 when I started. I'm definitly look a little bigger now and my lifts have increased a little bit as well. The only thing I'm kinda worried about is my big belly. It seems like it's increasing in size much faster than my chest/arms, etc. I heard this somewhere, but is it true that "when bulking, one should feel like a pregnant women at the end of the day"?... haha

so i guess what i'm trying to ask is that is feeling like carrying a baby in my stomach normal in the bulking process?

thanks

Unreal
10-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Your diet looks like mostly carbs, and very little protein/healthy fat. Fitday your diet for a few days and get the macros.

Jorge Sanchez
10-06-2005, 06:27 PM
My stomach expands quite a bit throughout the course of the day. I think looking and feeling like a pregnant woman is an accurate description for me just before I go to bed. When I wake up I no longer have the belly though.

spencerjrus
10-06-2005, 11:16 PM
My stomach expands quite a bit throughout the course of the day. I think looking and feeling like a pregnant woman is an accurate description for me just before I go to bed. When I wake up I no longer have the belly though.

Same here, sometimes though if I have been eating enough I will still have a fairly large stomach upon waking.

Canadian Crippler
10-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Why aren't you working your legs?

TOBART
10-07-2005, 07:52 AM
heatwave345, your diet looks acceptable, I would still add some foods that are high in protein. Drink more milk throughout the day, eat a can of tuna between a meal, etc. I would also cut the total calories down a bit, you said you gained 16 pounds in a month, thats a little quick for a bulk. Most people on here aim for 1-2 pounds per week.

As other people have mentioned, start working your legs, no excuses.

tdotteg
10-08-2005, 03:21 PM
hi, i wanted to share my bulk experience to you.. I understand how you feel about the belly thing. especially if you had six pack before you started to bulk up. I'm 5'5 and wheighed 130lb's with 8%bf during the summer. I started bulking mid June. Last time i wheighed myself i was tipping 168lb's but the love handles and the belly just made me miserable everytime i looked at myself in the mirror. so i'm on cut right now, we'll see where it will take me..

my food intake during bulk:

5 a.m.- skim milk, whey powder, eggwhites, natty pb, shot of olive oil, cup of cooked oat meal, honey and banana all blended together.

7 a.m. - whole wheatbagel with light creamcheese, half a cup of cottage cheese and glass of skim milk

8 a.m. work out

9:30 a.m. - 2 scoops whey with water, gatorade or pasta or pb sandwich

12 p.m. - 1 chicken breast, 3/4 cup or rice or pasta , cup of green veggies
2 glasses of skim milk

1:30 p.m. oatmeal to go bar

3 p.m. - pb sandwich

5:p.m. - whey with milk

7 pm - 1 chicken breast, 1 cup of veggies, 2 glasses of skim milk

before bed around 10:30 p.m. - whey with milk

I rarely eat cheat foods.. trust me if you eat like this you'll get sick of eating after a while and the last thing u wanna think about is food :)

Invain
10-08-2005, 08:37 PM
I've gained about 11 lbs so far in about a month and a half, and I haven't noticed any fat at all yet, maybe a teen bit on my stomach, but not enough to notice. Maybe it's because I'm only 17, and have always been in great shape with a fairly fast metabolism, and the fact that even though I'm on a bulk, I eat extremely healthy. My lifts have been shooting up, and I've noticed good amounts of new muscle.

I may just be lucky though. We'll see how much fat I have after I've gained about 30 lbs total.

heatwave345
10-09-2005, 01:13 PM
hey

yeah I start working on my legs this week. I haven't been doing so since I hurt my knee about a month ago playing basketball. Every time I run I get a shooting pain on the side of my knee. What kind of leg excercises should I do to not aggrevate this injury furthur ?

thanks