PDA

View Full Version : q about knee wraps

dw06wu
09-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Do you guys think knee wraps would help me out? I'm looking into them more for their protection than weight boost. I'm just wondering if they are at all necessary at ~450lbs, or if they are a waste of money until the big boy weights. Do you need to unwrap them when you are done with a set to allow blood to flow back down there? Can I just leave them on the entire time? It helps if I can just leave them on because it's a pain in the ass having to remove and reapply equipment.

I looked some up on e-bay and it looks like an ace bandage. I'm guessing it's basically the same thing, only made of more durable fiber. I couldn't find anything good with the search function.

Anthony
09-25-2005, 12:40 PM
If you are looking for knee protection, maybe consider a sports wrap or brace instead of powerlifting wraps.

dw06wu
09-25-2005, 11:57 PM
What's the difference?

dw06wu
09-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Ive been doing some researching at t-nation. It appears that knee wraps are only for achieving a higher total, and should not be used to train (only to hit maxes). Same idea as training in a belt, in that your trunk will develop weakness compared to the other muscles; a "crutch".

biggimp
09-26-2005, 06:00 PM
yeah, but you should still use a belt when you are getting up into higher percentages in your training (IE sets of 3, 2 or 1)

and you can wear knee wraps, they wont help you too much if you dont put them on that tight. they just wont offer much protection either.

DeusFacticius
09-26-2005, 07:46 PM
unless your knee's are injured or are hurting, the knee wraps really aren't worth it. of course you should use them when you're at or near your max (like the guy said, 3 reps or less) to help stabalize you, but for more reps they'll probably make it harder cause they cut off circulation. knee wraps give you a good boost for a rep or two but the longer you cut off circulation the more of a drag they become.
so yes, they do have to come off/rewrap every set.

i have a bad knee so for me, knee wraps are a must when hitting higher weights.