PDA

View Full Version : Is this actually healthy? =O

New_Sport
09-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Well. Everyday in the cafeteria I have a 6" subway sub. Roasted chicken breast with the veggies and whole wheat bread. No sauce, mayo, cheese or any of that junk. I have it with a strawberry whey protein drink. The meal comes to about 7g fat, 49g protein and 51.9g carbs. I was wondering if this meal was actually healthy? I buy it with my lunch money (close to my school) Because the cafeteria is all fries, 10 day old rice with clumps stuck together, greasy as hell hamburgers and chicken burgers and chicken nuggets and desserts etc. So I eat the subs. Good choice?

Kiaran
09-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Sounds as healthy as you are going to get for cafeteria food. Probably the only two things people would claim are "unhealthy" about it would be high sodium and high sugars. But I wouldn't really worry about that, just make sure to eat plenty of fiber and drink lots of water with your other meals. Looks good. What are your goals?

New_Sport
09-25-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm trying to gain about 10 pounds of muscle mass.

lifter4life
09-25-2005, 05:35 PM
mmm sounds good. dude you should hit up quizno's and get the turkey ranch and swiss toasted sub, but it all depends on what your definition of "healthy" is. It's not going to kill you and I doubt that one meal will make you fat.

getfit
09-25-2005, 05:36 PM
eating +lifting=gains :)

New_Sport
mmm sounds good. dude you should hit up quizno's and get the turkey ranch and swiss toasted sub

I would, but there's none around here. I go to subway because it's really nearby. About a 5 minute walk from the school.

getfit
+rest

Vapour Trails
09-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Sounds as healthy as you are going to get for cafeteria food. Probably the only two things people would claim are "unhealthy" about it would be high sodium and high sugars. But I wouldn't really worry about that, just make sure to eat plenty of fiber and drink lots of water with your other meals. Looks good. What are your goals?

Where are you getting sugar from? He said whole wheat bread, no sauces. It's pretty much all complex carbs.

And yes, it's a perfectly fine lunch.

beachmuscles
09-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Where are you getting sugar from? He said whole wheat bread, no sauces. It's pretty much all complex carbs.

if you consider brown colored bread whole wheat?

Kiaran
09-26-2005, 11:19 AM

Hmm, I would imagine there is a fair amount of sugar in any fast food. I don't know how much is in that meal, but all I said was people may CLAIM it has high sugars or sodium. Anyway, I don't really give a sh!t. I'd eat the hell outa that meal, sounds good!

spencerjrus
09-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Eat the healthiest thing you can, whether or not that is healthy in the big scheme of things is irrelevant.

Spartan936
09-26-2005, 04:36 PM
New Sport, if you are looking to gain muscle, then I would up your fat intake at each meal. It seems far too low in the meal you lay out. You'll need the calories, and yes, it will be perfectly healthy, assuming you eat mostly "healthy" fats.

Pjsb
09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
I am a big fan of Subway. I usually get a foot long turkey on wheat with veggies and oil and vin. I was eating it pretty much every day for lunch when I was workin outside in the summer. Its about the healthiest fast food you can find out there. I think its even healthy for home food standards (minding the amount of salt).

threatmix
09-27-2005, 08:28 AM
I used to work at Subway and, not that you have to to know the nutritional value of their food (just go to their website), but the wheat bread is definitely not whole wheat. Nutritionally, and the way it is digested, it is pretty much the same as the white bread. In fact, the wheat bread has more grams of carbs per serving and the same amount of fiber according to the nutrition information on their website. But I still get wheat bread everytime anyway, because I just can't stand actually ordering white bread, even if it is no different. Other than that, Subway is perfectly healthy (as long as you get one of the low-fat subs with no cheese or fattening/sugary dressing) especially for fast food. I usually get the turkey sub with all the veggies and olive oil and vinegar and mustard.

Built
09-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I find it interesting that so many people freak if a food actually TASTES good; like it therefore CAN'T be in any way healthy.

New sport, this sounds like a perfectly reasonable pre- or post- workout meal. Low fat, equal amounts of carb and protein. Done and done.

Relentless
09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
why don't you just pack a lunch instead?

Jorge Sanchez
09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I got sick from a chicken breast sub from subway yesterday. I am never eating there again.

TwiloMike
09-27-2005, 12:11 PM
The Subway meal seems perfectly healthy to me. I wouldn't skip the cheese, though.

CarlP
09-27-2005, 07:26 PM
I find it interesting that so many people freak if a food actually TASTES good; like it therefore CAN'T be in any way healthy.

New sport, this sounds like a perfectly reasonable pre- or post- workout meal. Low fat, equal amounts of carb and protein. Done and done.

Teach him about natty PB, tastes great and has good fats. :drooling:

Built
09-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Natty PB is proof of God's love.

But not for post workout.

:)