PDA

View Full Version : low - cal bulk update

AzBboy
09-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone. For those of you remember, last week I posted about gaining off 2400 cals. Half said increase to at least 3000, the gain could be anything, other half said stay, see what happens. I ended up increasing by 100 cals, to 2500, today marked another week, and I gained ANOTHER pound! Bodyfat has stayed the same. I'm more confused than excited, I'm still always hungry. I feel I can easily stomach 1000 more cals than I am taking in. I usually restrict my meals cus I know if I over eat it's gonna come outta my next meal. Is it uncommon to feel hungry on a bulk? I feel like I'm on a cut!

Canadian Crippler
09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
You can't measure weight increase by a pound, dude. I can gain a pound with 1 glass of water.

Built
09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
I feel hungry after a Christmas banquet.

And I'm with Crip - it's too soon to tell anything, and you only ate another 700 calories last week. NOT enough to be a pound of ANYTHING - just water and possibly a little extra LBM/fat.

AzBboy
09-26-2005, 11:30 AM
K so I started at 138 2 weeks ago now at 140. This could be anything? Canadian, you can't measure increase by a pound? Thats what I read all over the forums and articles, aim to gain 1 pound a week for minimal fat gain. I weigh on empty stomach when I wake up so it can't be a glass of water. How much do you guys go by? 2? 3 pounds a week? Maybe I can try 2 pounds but I always assumed the 1lb rule was the way to go, its the most common upon all the articles I've read.

MM
09-26-2005, 11:55 AM
K so I started at 138 2 weeks ago now at 140. This could be anything? Canadian, you can't measure increase by a pound? Thats what I read all over the forums and articles, aim to gain 1 pound a week for minimal fat gain. I weigh on empty stomach when I wake up so it can't be a glass of water. How much do you guys go by? 2? 3 pounds a week? Maybe I can try 2 pounds but I always assumed the 1lb rule was the way to go, its the most common upon all the articles I've read.

You have to go over a longer period of time than two weeks. Since you're lighter than some of us, your fluctuation will probably appear with less dramatic weight. I'll dip up and down around 5pounds over a period of days.

However, if you're weighing yourself first thing in the morning and wearing the same clothes (or no clothes) and you keep seeing these pound increases, I would assume you're gaining weight and not just fluctuating water weight.

Jorge Sanchez
09-26-2005, 06:25 PM
I also can fluctuate up to 5 lbs from day to day, weighing myself first thing in the morning.

But if you're gaining weight you must be doing something right. Given your weight, I wouldn't think you actually need to increase your cals too much if you don't want to. But, if you want to gain weight more quickly and are comfortable with putting on a little bit more fat you can always increase your cals.

Optimum08
09-26-2005, 06:32 PM
i still don't see the point in a "low-cal bulk"...i understand the fact that u don't want to gain fat and have a spare tire but if your gonna bulk, bulk...and then u can cut all that fat off later...

Built
09-26-2005, 06:43 PM
...well, there's no point putting on a TON of fat with a bulk. You DO want to keep it down to a dull roar. Some of us pack on fat a lot more quickly than others. I have to control my bulks or I just get fatter and fatter.

The leaner you are when you bulk, the more partitioning you get into muscle. (http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_jul272001.htm) It stands to reason that if, over the course of your bulk you get much fatter, your partioning gets WORSE.

If you're not careful to keep this under control, each additional pound you gain gives you more and more fat, and less and less muscle. Less bang for the buck.

If this doesn't matter to you, then keep going. But if you want to maximize your LBM gains and minimize your fat gains, you might consider watching it.