PDA

View Full Version : 275 & 300lb deadlift vid

diesel_dan
09-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I know that amount of weight isn't very impressive but I figured might as well post the video's. I started with 275 and then did 300. On the 300 i switched the camera angle so it looked better. It felt rather easy and would of tried more but 300lbs is all the weight I have at the house. I'll have to wait until I go to the gym or school to max out with as much as I can. Another thing, I haven't been dead lifting too long so any critique etc on my form would be great.

http://275mb.com/upload/275lbs_09-26-05.wmv
http://275mb.com/upload/300lbs_09-26-05.wmv

biggimp
09-26-2005, 08:01 PM
ok, i have a few things for you:

-im glad you only have 300lbs. much more and you are risking injury with that form. watch your legs. they are almost fully locked out before the weight even leaves the floor! which means you are basically doing a stiff legged deadlift. and it looks like you are rounding your back! not good.

what you need to do is kind of sit back in the lift. maybe if you look up at the ceiling, that will help you. try to keep your chest up. also you want to extend your knees at the same rate that you straighten your back. and never round your back! look at http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html for a video of the deadlift. that will show you perfect form.

-the other thing is, how do you lift to country music????

diesel_dan
09-26-2005, 08:29 PM
ok, i have a few things for you:

-im glad you only have 300lbs. much more and you are risking injury with that form. watch your legs. they are almost fully locked out before the weight even leaves the floor! which means you are basically doing a stiff legged deadlift. and it looks like you are rounding your back! not good.

what you need to do is kind of sit back in the lift. maybe if you look up at the ceiling, that will help you. try to keep your chest up. also you want to extend your knees at the same rate that you straighten your back. and never round your back! look at http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html for a video of the deadlift. that will show you perfect form.

-the other thing is, how do you lift to country music????

thanks for the advice, i'll work on it. that video really helps. umm as far as the country music, I generally don't lift with music and the gym I go to doesn't play music on the days I lift so at the house I just listen to country since that's the kind of music I like. country music is where the motivation is at man lol..

fixationdarknes
09-26-2005, 08:46 PM
lol. Country music when maxing? Try death metal!

Okay, biggimp basically nailed it all. You need to sit back more at the start of your deadlift and make sure you don't lock out your legs so quickly. Keep the back straight, look up, shoulders back, chest out, and pull like a mofo!

TOBART
09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
The form isn't horrible, but I agree, you need to involve your legs a lot more. You did lift the weight quite smoothly though the movement and its looks like you have a lot of lower back strength. If you perfect your form, I wouldn't be surprised to see you pulling a lot more weight within the coming months.

diesel_dan
09-26-2005, 08:56 PM
thanks guys. im really going to be working on my form the best i can. i will probably post another video in a month or so just to make sure the form is good. even with bad form though that weight didn't seem that hard at all.

fixationdarknes: heck yeah man, country music lol

TOBART: yeah i think my lower back is one of my strong points as far as strength. i really hope i will be pulling more within a couple months, with proper form that is.

--off to go watch TUF (the ultimate fighter)

D Breyer
09-26-2005, 09:35 PM
question about form (for somebody who has perfected it):

How far down are you when you initiate your deadlifts?

TOBART
09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
question about form (for somebody who has perfected it):

How far down are you when you initiate your deadlifts?

I am at parallell (hamstrings to floor) when I start a deadlift.

jkirkpatrick
09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
^ same here, parallel to floor.

D Breyer
09-26-2005, 10:46 PM
okay, thanks. that is how i've been doing it, just making sure.

jtteg_x
09-26-2005, 11:04 PM
slightly over paralell over here. i tend to stiff leg my lift as well on max but my back isnt rounded

heres a good site titled "top 10 deadlifting mistakes" http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744

also check out www.irongame.com <---- that site has many powerlifting/pro/olympia lifting videos. watch how those pros dead and whatnot.

fixationdarknes
09-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah, it's not bad to be a bit higher than parallel, but make sure your leg drive is sufficient. That being said, I start at about parallel.

Bohizzle
09-27-2005, 08:44 AM
i'd say where u initiate depends on how flexible you are... i used to jsut do basically what diesel dan did but with less rounding of the back, and now i go to just above parallel before starting.

Andrew

dw06wu
09-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Three quick tips:
1) If you are going conventional, I think your feet should be just a little bit closer and pointing straight ahead, not angled at all. This should remove all stress on the knee joint.

2) Arch your back and start lower. You want your legs to be taking as much of the load as they can. Your butt should not move at all before the weight is lifted off the ground, and your lower back should not bend forward at all.

3) Shoulders behind the bar. This allows you to sit back into the movement more. If the bar is already on your shins and your shoulders are in front of the bar, that makes this impossible. Remember, pull BACK, not UP. This takes some getting used to, but the weight being where it is will stabilize your balance.

Vapour Trails
09-29-2005, 04:05 PM
You'll want to pull your shoulders back to fully lockout the lift at the top.

Gutz981
09-29-2005, 06:26 PM
**** yeah country music is where its at bro!

diesel_dan
09-29-2005, 09:50 PM
**** yeah country music is where its at bro!

im glad im not the only one that thinks so, lol. Anyways, ive been practicing on my form and taking your guy's advice and it feels like when i deadlift now it is easier to move the weight and i have less strain on my back. thanks guys.

Bruise Brubaker
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Cinematographically wise, I prefered the first (275) video. You get the see the lift and the form perfectly.

dw06wu
09-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Feet are easy to fix, so I think that a direct side on shot would be the best angle. Then you can really see what's going on with the curvature of your back.

diesel_dan
09-30-2005, 03:50 PM
ok ill remember that when i take the next set of vids.