PDA

View Full Version : Egg whites

john992
12-25-2001, 08:16 PM
As long as they are pasteurized such a burnbrae farms egg whites in a carton they are edible yet research still states that eating raw eggs can interfere with the uptake of the vitamin BIOTIN...

flake
12-27-2001, 09:21 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at with this.

Henyway the reason it could interfiere with uptake is that egg whites contain avadin, and egg yolks biotin. Avatin and biotin combine in a powerful reaction, this is seen when you whisk eggs. Because you have no yolk there is no biotin therefore the avadin is still available to react with biotin, theoretically reducing biotin uptake.

I'd doubt this would significantly effect biotin uptake though. And even if it did, the levels of avadin you'd have to consume would be quite high.

If I'm wrong I'd be interested to read any such studies.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-27-2001, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by flake
And even if it did, the levels of avadin you'd have to consume would be quite high.

rather. 24 egg whites. nice.

btw, if you're taking a multivit or extra B vits then don't stress so much.

john992
12-27-2001, 10:32 AM
Raw egg whites contain a protien called avidin. Avidin binds to biotin and prevents it's absorption from the intestine. But whole raw eggs are not usually a problem, because egg yolk is a very rich source of biotin and the avidin in exclusively in the egg white. So, if a whole raw egg or two are eaten, the avidin binds most of the yolk's biotin, but biotin is also plentiful in other foods so no real harm is done.

The problem arises when people do not want to feed egg yolks (because of high fat and cholesterol) and seperate out the yolk, feeding only several egg whites. Now the avidin binds up the biotin in OTHER foods and can lead to a deficiency (wieght loss, weakness, hair loss, rashes, and, when severe, some neurological damage).

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-27-2001, 10:46 AM
I don't think anyone eats raw whites on here anyway.

Cooking the whites inactivates the avidin too, so don't worry.

flake
12-27-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by john992
Raw egg whites contain a protien called avidin. Avidin binds to biotin and prevents it's absorption from the intestine. But whole raw eggs are not usually a problem, because egg yolk is a very rich source of biotin and the avidin in exclusively in the egg white. So, if a whole raw egg or two are eaten, the avidin binds most of the yolk's biotin, but biotin is also plentiful in other foods so no real harm is done.

The problem arises when people do not want to feed egg yolks (because of high fat and cholesterol) and seperate out the yolk, feeding only several egg whites. Now the avidin binds up the biotin in OTHER foods and can lead to a deficiency (wieght loss, weakness, hair loss, rashes, and, when severe, some neurological damage).

er, wasn't that basically what I just said? Nevermind.

Short N Buff
12-27-2001, 01:56 PM
lol thats what i thoght. at first i thought u posted twice.

Wizard
12-27-2001, 02:44 PM
It's a backup