PDA

View Full Version : I was going to buy whey protein today but held off because...

Jase N'
09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
It's only 110 calories per serving. Am I missing something here? I thought this was supposed to be good for putting on weight, not some you could basically do with most foods. Is there anything with more cals than this? It just seems like it's not really worth it for weight gain purposes. There must be something better? Perhaps with 500 or greater calories per serving (because 110 is not going to do it for me). Any tips?

greathuskie
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
no, its good for building muscle. its probably 80-90% protein, and someone with that concentrate of protein is not going to have alot of calories.

d'Anconia
09-28-2005, 10:43 PM
I thought this was supposed to be good for putting on weight, not some you could basically do with most foods.

Basically... it's easy to add calories but hard to reduce them. Whey protein is just that, almost all protein which only gives 4 calories/gram. That's the way it should be because IF you want to add calories it is ridiculously easy... go eat some more food. Want to know a good way to add calories to protein shakes? Add olive oil which is VERY high in calories. As a plus I've found that adding olive oil makes it taste better given that you don't add way too much.

Protein is not just for gaining weight but rather maintaining and gaining muscle. People dieting who want to maintain their muscle need to take protein and if that protein shake has a lot of calories in it then it won't help them with their diet.

In the end it's just so that an individual can have more control over how many calories they are getting and where those calories are coming from.

PowerManDL
09-28-2005, 11:27 PM
It's plenty calories if you add 2 cups of milk, 2 tbsp of PB, 2 tbsp of olive oil, and some ice cream.

jtteg_x
09-28-2005, 11:30 PM
mix it with whole milk

CarlP
09-29-2005, 06:34 AM
2 scoops in 24oz of milk is 550 calories. Start drinking.

ShockBoxer
09-29-2005, 07:17 AM
If you want something with 500 calories a serving ask the clerk about "Meal Replacement" or "Weight Gainer". Whey is a protein supplement, not a bulk builder.

Anthony
09-29-2005, 07:31 AM
It's only 110 calories per serving. Am I missing something here? I thought this was supposed to be good for putting on weight, not some you could basically do with most foods. Is there anything with more cals than this? It just seems like it's not really worth it for weight gain purposes. There must be something better? Perhaps with 500 or greater calories per serving (because 110 is not going to do it for me). Any tips?

Yeah, you're definitely missing something. Think of a scoop of whey protein as a steak. Seriously. So is steak good for putting on weight? Well that depends. Are you consuming more calories than you burn? That's what you're missing.

russ
09-29-2005, 04:25 PM
protein isn't meant for gaining you wait. It heals and repairs your muscles so they can grow easier and more efficiently. take some extra carbs, or just eat basically anything semi-healthy if you want some cals.

Ron Burgundy
10-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I herd "muscle milk" is great for gaining weight, i think it has 500 cals in it somone know the stats?

spencerjrus
10-01-2005, 12:27 PM
It's plenty calories if you add 2 cups of milk, 2 tbsp of PB, 2 tbsp of olive oil, and some ice cream.

I actually drink that exact shake but w/out the whey protein. Works fine for me. :)