PDA

View Full Version : Post what foods you ate on your low carb diet

wmiller
12-26-2001, 04:23 PM
Ok, I am fat as hell now. I have been eating and eating and eating trying to gain mass. With the holidays and eating junk, I have to go on a diet. I have been very successful with low fat diets in the past. I can prolly take off 3-4 pounds a week if I do a ton of cardio, but I figure to keep as much muscle as I can, I would try to lose 2 pounds a week.

Now, I have to decide if I should do a low fat or low carb diet. I heard a lot of people being very successful on low carb diets. What foods did you eat? Cheese? Peanut Butter? How many carbs a day can you eat and be successful at losing about two pounds a week?

gopro
12-26-2001, 04:45 PM
My low carb plan usually is to take in 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of carbs per lb. of bodyweight. My protein is split evenly through the day over my 6-7 meals and my carbs are taken in at meal 1 and at post workout...the rest of the day is veggies.

Foods include all kinds of protein, and carbs from brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatos, and barley...but only 1 gram per lb. of bodyweight. I also eat broccoli, spinach, lettuce, and other greens...I do not count these toward my carbs as they are mostly undigested.

My protein will stay the same throughout the diet, but will adjust carbs or or down as needed.

Wizard
12-26-2001, 06:15 PM
Low carb?
Well,avocados are great,then you can have some cheese (like brie,camembert,mascarpone and not the yellow ones) any oil is great too,eggs are a good addition and finally any meat fits perfectly in the plan.

Paul Stagg
12-27-2001, 08:25 AM
Low carb or keto diet?

Tryska
12-27-2001, 09:14 AM
well my diet is low/carb isocaloric.

pretty much all i did was cut out all starchy, grainy or sugary carbs, and allow my carb sources to be full-fat dairy, vegetables and fruits. everything else is pretty much normal stuff. except i stay away from processed foods containing trasn fats as well.

you can take a look at my journal if you want examples of what i normally eat.

Paul Stagg
12-27-2001, 09:20 AM
Ace.

I'm asking because it will make a difference (big one) to Mr. Miller.

Franco
12-27-2001, 09:20 AM
My guidelines are very similar to GoPro.

Sweet potato, brown rice, Oatmeal. High protein, don't count the carbs from veggies.

wmiller
12-27-2001, 03:11 PM
Paul - I am thinking of low carbs versus low fat. I think I want to stay away from the keto diet. I would rather lose fat slowly than crash. I figure two pounds a week should be a healthy weight loss. I just need to figure out what I am going to eat and how many carbs a day is a "low" carb diet.

Paul Stagg
12-28-2001, 07:41 AM
Then go with the suggestions given.

The main thing is your caloric level.

gopro
12-29-2001, 01:10 PM
Read my post again...it works very well :)

Marcel
12-29-2001, 01:24 PM
GoPro - just curious about any fat intake in that plan of yours?

gopro
12-29-2001, 08:12 PM
Marcel...for my fat intake I get what is naturally occuring in my meats, and, I take in about 3 tablespoons of Udo's Choice Oil Blend and maybe 1 or 2 tbs of olive oil each day.

Delphi
12-29-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by wmiller
[B]Now, I have to decide if I should do a low fat or low carb diet./B]

I've heard this choice mentioned recently. Are there pro's/con's of a low fat vs a low carb diet? Other than the food selection, are there marked differences in their results?

Tryska
12-30-2001, 08:56 AM
well with a low fat diet you are at the mercy of insulin response, and it's attendant affects on brain chemistry. it's the old-fashioned (ie last 30 year trend) for losing wieght.....but i personally think a lower carb diet makes more biochemical sense.

Goin_Big
12-30-2001, 09:15 AM
I wanna do a low carb diet at college but to do that with the money I'll have I'll be on like a 1k cal diet a day, not good.

My plan was eggs in the morning, 2 pieces of chicken for lunch, and 2 for dinner. My sister claims I need to eat some carbs, maybe I should throw some vegetables in, I dunno, is there any high cal, low carb low fat foods?

Tryska
12-30-2001, 10:09 AM
why would you want a low carb low fat food?

if you are lowering carbs, you need to make up the difference in fat, so that protein doesn't get burned for fuel instead, leading to catabolism of muscle tissue.

and frankly...i live on tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, chicken and ground beef, and fresh vegetables, and it comes out cheaper then if i was eating a whole lot of carbs.....

Wizard
12-30-2001, 12:33 PM
Protein is very expensive but especially the sources of lean protein are really expensive.(like protein powders)
You need lean sources of protein only when you do a low fat diet.You can have some tuna instead but it contains big amounts of sodium and it's better to reduce its consumption.

When you're on a low carb diet you can select among a big variety of sources of protein which are often cheaper than quality carbs.

ElPietro
12-31-2001, 08:42 AM
Has anyone tried any of the food that's come out specifically for keto diets? Like atkins brand stuff? Or keto cookies, bread mix etc.

Here's a link to a site just to show examples.

This is the bread section...

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/reviews-breads.html

Basically, I'm pondering going on a keto diet, and I don't know if I will be able to control all the food I am eating. My willpower is "ok" but the worst part will be conquering the work lunches I always go out on. But even if I don't go CKD and just cut carbs somewhat, that would be an improvement. If anyone has experience with these products or general opinions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, for you canucks, if you know if most of this shite is available in Canada or not. Thanks.

Paul Stagg
12-31-2001, 08:59 AM
Pros and cons of the diets will vary based on the individual.

What is a pro to me, might be a con to you.

As far as reasults, again, it ends up depending on the person.

When I was VERY overfat, I used a low cal, high carb, low fat diet, and lost a lot of weight. Since I didn't, at the time, measure bf, I don't KNOW how much muscle I lost, but I think I lost a lot.

I've had excellent success with a more isocaloric (40/30/30) approach, but it can be tough to be hungry.

Keto dieting kept hunger at bay and let me eat lots of yummy stuff, but carb cravings suck, and I had trouble functioning at times.

So, all in all, dieting sucks, and the type of diet you pick is based on what part of your life and eating habits you are willing to have suck. :)

Seriously, it really does depend on the individual. I think the best approach is the most balanced, which is an iso diet - but that's a very general statement.

ElPietro
12-31-2001, 09:12 AM
Thanks Paul, are there any good web resources out their you'd recommend on isocaloric diets? I'm not familiar with it...or if it's just restricting calories etc. Did a search in here and didn't find any threads specifically targeting this diet.

If you have any background info or quick pointers it would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Reinier
12-31-2001, 09:14 AM
sound like im just eating the same when i cut, just less of it

ElPietro
12-31-2001, 09:42 AM
Tryska yer on this diet any points to add? Don't make me start a new thread! :mad: ;)

Tryska
12-31-2001, 10:16 AM
well my diet is a bit different el pietro......

imo, keto or a true low carb, while they definitely keep you fat burning, can be a bit catabolic and bit hard to stick too, although, allegedly the cravings for carbs stop once your in ketosis, but the whole keto-breath thing just won't do for me..*lol* it's also hard for me to negotiate with my schedule....hard to find foods with NO carbs whatsoever.

basically what i do, although isocaloric (roughly 33%split between macros), is low in glucose-containing carbs. meaning i stay away from grains, starches and sugars.

the carbs i get come from dairy, fruit and vegetables. I don't pay attention to fat at all, well fat grams anyway, but i do pay attention to transfat intake. And i make sure to eat protein at near every meal.

i do get carb cravings, usually during PMS. I beginning to think this is due to low serotonin levels due to hormone fluctuations though. either way considering what i'm reading now, i might do a carb load every few days, because it aids with thyroid production, and prevents catabolism. I'll give it a whirl and see how the fat-burning goes.

Twizted
01-06-2002, 01:07 AM
a killer low carb salad is chicken strips(not the breaded kind)shredded cheddar,lettuce and ranch or blue cheese dressing