PDA

View Full Version : Just be a beast about it - McIrish's journal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

McIrish
09-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Hey. My name is Tim. I've lifted for about a year or two and I never really noticed any noticeable progress, until a friend of mine clued me in on something - my eating habits were abysmal. Don't get me wrong, I ate perfectly healthy food, there just wasn't nearly enough of it on my plate. For reference, one day I told him "No way, I'm eating enough," only to later calculate out that I'd consumed approximately 1900 calories that day. Yep, not gonna cut it.

So, here I am. I'll start with me. I love lifting because I love the feeling of waking up in the morning and feeling sore (and having people comment, "hey, have you been working out?"). I'm an athletic guy, and I play sports all the time. I was actually quit fat as a kid, but now I'm skinny. Go figure. Anyhow, I boxed in college and I think the best I've EVER felt about my looks involved the following situation (after a few hard months of working out and training to get my face pounded in two short rounds :))

*knock at door* (I open door shirtless while doing pushups/crunches in room)
*girlfriend's best friend stares in disbelief at my stomach, gasps for air, then stammers something about sorry she's interrupting me and leaves.
I hear from my girlfriend a week later "oh my gosh, when she saw you she was soooo surprised, she thought only football players had six packs!" She then proceeds to tell me how much she likes my arms - now, mind you, I've never been complimented on physique ever (I was never particularly big and I'm lanky). That was it, I was hooked. :)

Anyway, I'm 5'9 and just over 150 lbs (depending on scale/time of day/etc., I'm somewhere aroudn 152 lbs.)

I've been lifting and eating more (is it enough?) for the past few months, but a brief sojourn in China this summer took away all my hard-earned gains (did you know that it's practically impossible to eat well out there? Yep.)

Here's today's Friday workout (end of week wrap-up, arms and abs)

Dumbbell curl : 65x8, 70x6, 75x3 (ahhhh felt so weak, next time I'll see if I can't bust that 75 up a few more times)
Weighted Dips : +15x8, +15x6, +20x6
Skull Crushers: bar+25x10, bar+25x10, bar+30x10
Tricep Cable pulldown (using that rope piece): 120x8, 130x6
Push-ups (I had some extra time at the end): insidex15, middlex15, outsidex15

Abs:
230 crunches (I just tack on 10 more every week, it's easy now but it'll eventually rip the old stomach back)

Now, this warrants some explanation - our gym is kinda crappy (#1 in the nation in fitness riiiiiiight), so for arm stuff at the end of the week I just always do whatever is easy and around. I have a pretty set routine for the rest of the week, and Friday's I just take it easy and focus on biceps and triceps (and throw in some ab stuff to leave the stomach sore for the walk home).

Afterwards, I walked home and totally housed a protein shake (unfortunately I'm growing to hate banana flavored anything at present).

My daily calorie intake averages somewhere around 2600 (roughly 40 carb/40 protein/20 fat, give or take).

Anyhow, thoughts? Mind you, my goal here is to get bigger WITHOUT getting the bigger stomach. I'm all ears...appreciative stares at the beach await! :)

Built
09-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey, props on figuring out that eating more and heavy lifting = gains.

What do you do for legs? And what do your macronutrients work out to? (ratios don't really tell us anything important).

Welcome to the board.

:)

SpecialK
09-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Pushups? Situps? Ahhh have I taught you nothing??? High reps aren't going to bring your abs back dude, next time stick to the weighted ab work. Same for the pushups.

Oh and I'm going to call you up and bug you if you don't keep updating your journal ;)

Built
09-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Eeeeep! 230 crunches? That won't rip up your abs! That part is diet and short sets of heavy weighted ab work.

McIrish
10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Well, today was bench day. I think I ate a ton of garbage over the weekend and sleep wasn't happenin too well, so I was afraid that might affect this week's workouts (I went to visit aunt and uncle and ended up eating kinda bad for the weekend, but whatever, c'est la vie).

Anyhow, I was happy with my progress from last week on the bench...

normal 143x6, 148x4 (and ALLLLLLLLLLMOST housed up that #5, darn)

decline 138x6, 138x6 (these were pretty easy, i'll up it next week)

incline 116x6, 121x4 (and ALLLLLLLLLLMOST housed up numero cinco, carajo)

Afterwards, I did some burnouts just to make sure I had nothing left in my bench tank and did 111x12 until my arms went to jelly.

Butterfly machine
80x6
90x5 1/2

Afterwards, my chest was burning like nothing else. While the numbers aren't huge, they're a steady progress from my humble beginnings, and bearing in mind that I weigh just over 150, it's getting there.

I finished the day with some cable crunches
100lbs x 12
130lbs x 12
140lbs x12 (I'm still getting the motion down to make sure that I'm using JUST my stomach, and according to what my good buddy says, numbers may be deceiving, since cable crunches are like snowflakes... they come in all shapes and sizes!)

Anyhow, I'm still housing up somewhere around 2600-2700 calories per day, and I'm gradually growing (slooooow this time, which is fine, since I'm trying to minimize the amount of fat I put on). Any recommendations would be great, either on workout strategy or eating or keeping off the spare tire while putting on the big guns... lemme know! I'm still a bit of a n003 on such matters, but I'm willing to learn!

McK

McIrish
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Leg workout day

Squat
158lbsx6, 163x6

Lunge
99lbsx6, 104x6

Leg Press
191lbsx6, 196x6 (this is just the weight of the plates, I don't actually know how much the carriage itself weighs... the odd numbers are due to the fact that I'm using sweet sweet kilogram plates since that's all this stupid gym uses)

Hamstring machine
90lbs x6, 100 lbsx4

Seated calve press
67.5kgx6, 67.5kgx6 (I will up this next week)

At any rate, I'm still holding steady at around 2700 cals/day, and my weight seems to be increasing, though I'll have to try this for another few weeks to know for sure.

As always, any thoughts? Hey, I hear today is the most popular day in America to be born - so happy birthday to all of you! It is my wonderful girlfriend's birthday today also! Ciao for now.

McK

Focused70
10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Eeeeep! 230 crunches? That won't rip up your abs! That part is diet and short sets of heavy weighted ab work.

Abs are made in the kitchen.

Oh, and have some :spam:

Good luck, we'll be watching. :p

Focused70
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Wheelz seems fine, although I think you'll see better results eventually as you replace the hamstring machine for SLDLs or glute-ham raises.

And do standing calf raises also. Seated raises work the soleus; standing raises work the gastroc, which you need for that diamond shape.

Stash

Built
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Nice workout!

You ever do RDLs for hammies? I love those.

McIrish
10-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Alright, so the girlfriend saw the posts and made fun of me for using such words as "house" and "beast." Oh well, that won't stop me from housebeasting out today. ;)

Today was 'back' workout day.

Deadlift (bent-leg, not stiff)
168lbsx6, 173x6 (up more next week)

Bent-back rows
89lbsx6, 94x6 (these were kinda tough, I'll probably up it to 94/94 next week)

Weighted pull-ups
body weight + 10 lbs x 6
body weight + 15 lbs x 6
After this, my arms were jelly and I tried the last set on just BW to see what I had left (I got 6)

Lat pull-down machine
120lbsx6, 130x6, 130x6 (I think I'll up this again - I was previously around 150 but I brought the weight down a few notches to make sure I was doing them entirely correct)

Shoulder-press machine (military press?)
150lbsx6, 160x5 (arrrr house/beasty)

I always weigh myself on Thursdays, since that is the only time I can get a scale (weird class scheduling precludes my use of 1/2 the gym during hte rest of the week) - 69.3 kg, give or take. Rough brain calculations tell me that is somewhere in the mid-150's, which is healthy. I don't plan on getting too much bigger than that.

On a side note, can we just agree that I'm a cooking beast? Emeril Ligasse better start sending out the resume because he is soon to be out of work. I cooked some monstrous spinach tonight for dinner with a light olive oil + garlic + toasted almonds glaze on top, and it was quite superb. Now, I shall go study Chinese characters until I collapse.

McK

McIrish
10-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I skipped Friday's normal arm workout in lieu of going today (I spent all Friday afternoon figuring out how to make my skype work so I can call my baby... argh I'll have that figured out sooner or later).

soooo without further ado...

Da' Guns

Barbell curls
70 lbsx6, 75x4 (arrr, I hefted this piece one more time than last week)

Dumbbell curls
35x6 (but I was 'cheating' a bit on these by getting some swinging motion, so I bumped the weight back down to 30's to not cheat as much and get my form right), 30x6

Dips
Body weight + 15lbs x 6
Body weight + 20lbs x 6
Body weight + 20lbs x 6 (I think next week I will push this up to +25x6)

Skullcrushers
bar (I have no idea how much this curvy bar weighs... maybe 10 pounds?) + 25 lbs x 10
bar+30 x 10
bar+30 x 10

Tricep pulldown w/ rope
130lbs x6
130lbs x6 (I may push this up to 130/140 next time, we'll see)

Afterwards, I polished off the day with some heavy weighted ab work, courtesy of the recommendations of this forum - I really felt it, too!

Cable crunches
130lbs x 10
140lbs x 10
150lbs x 7 or 8, though I was cheating on the last few for sure (I'm also still experimenting with the weights on this, since I'm not really sure what to go with, so I think I'll start somewhere around here)

My caloric intake is still hovering somewhere in the 2600-2700 range.

Philosophical workout moment of the day - there's a lot of confusing things going on in life lately and actually while working out once it occurred to me that I sometimes wish life had some of the same constancy and predictability as working out. It also occurred to me that maybe this is a primary reason for so many people to lift in the first place - in a chaotic world, I figure some people try to reassert control over the one thing in life that they CAN control with some reasonable constancy - themselves. Who knows. As for me, I just like taking care of myself. At any rate, I think it's still a great release from a tough day of work, whatever your reasoning.

McK

Built
10-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Oh, I'm SO with you on the satisfaction of micromanaging a tiny little closed system like your own body.

So much more satisfying than real life, on so many levels.

And you get to walk around wearing this totally cool sculpture if it works.

McIrish
10-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Chest dayyyy - I had to lift today instead of tomorrow because I have a ton of work tomorrow and then Wednesday I'm going on a trip to visit this amazing girl ;) im so amped.

Anyhow, back to the business at hand.

Bench press
143lbs x 6, 148 x 5.5 (5 on my own, 6th with help from the spotter, etc.)

Decline
138lbs x 6, 143 x 4.5

Incline
116lbs x 6, 121x 5.5

Afterwards, I did a set of burnouts on 111 lbs to see if my arms had anything left. I did 10 and then on the 11th my arms turned to jello.

I finished up with some butterfly machine, up from last week's 80lbs/90lbs to:
90lbs x 6, 90lbs x 5.5 (soooo close to #6, too)

Anyhow, I will push the normal ab workout to tomorrow since I had to run back to my apartment because of some good news. More to come on that later, perhaps?

McK

McIrish
10-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Legs

Squats
163lbsx6, 168x6 (this was pretty tough, so I may up it to 168/168 next week)

Lunges
94lbs x6, 99x6 (on the other hand, this was fairly easy, so I will definitely add more)

Leg Press
4 blue plates + 20 lbs (which I *think* turns out to be the carriage + 196 lbs) x 6, 4 blue plates + 25 lbs (which should therefore be carriage + 201) x 6

Hamstring machine (I will be replacing this with RDL shortly, as per a friend's recommendations... more effective, perhaps?)
95x6, 100x6

Seated calve press
67.5kgx6, 70kgx5

Unfortunately, no time today for a standing calve raise. I'll make sure to fit that in next week.

I finished the afternoon with the ab work I should've done yesterday.
Cable crunches
130 lbs x 10, 150 x 10, 150 x 10

I still didn't feel that I was exerting enough effort focusing entirely on *just* the stomach, though, so I may revise this come next time.

Best,
McK

McIrish
10-18-2005, 10:40 PM
I haven't been in a gym for a week - just got back from Ireland to visit the love of my life and I had an amazing trip. It was "grand," as they say.

Anyhow, today is Tuesday, which is my chest workout day. I decided to up the bench weight by 5 lbs to start working on a new plateau. Next week I'll shoot for another rep or two on the higher weight, etc. Slow progress is still progress.

Bench
148lbs x 6, 153 x 3.5 (and *almost* got #4).

Decline
138x6, 143x6 (next week, I shall up this to 143/143)

Incline
121x6, 126x4 (I find that I am incredibly weak on the incline... any suggestions? Maybe it is due to the fact that incline comes after regular and decline?)

Finally, I had one set of burnouts on 111 lbs to make sure that my chest was good and sore and had no energy left. I managed a solid twelve before my arms gave way (which is actually a gradual improvement, since I started out roughly a month ago with only 7 post-workout).

Butterfly machine
90lbs x 4, 70 x 6

This was a bit surprising, since last week I managed to get 6 repetitions of 90 lbs, though I only noticed belatedly that the seat height on the butterfly machine was definitely different than last time, so I must not be used to that. Next week I will check first, and attempt to do what I *should* have done today.

I finished off the afternoon with some ab work (again, I'm still trying to find the most ideal routine on the cable machine for my abs to make sure that all of my efforts are coming from the abs, and not from the back/arms/etc.)

140lbs x 10, 150 x 10, 160 x 7

Afterwards, I didn't feel as if I had expended enough effort entirely from the stomach, so I lowered the weight to 120 and focused on redoing the exercises slowly and using only my stomach. I definitely felt sore afterwards, which is a good sign. I'll keep experimenting with this.

As always - suggestions?

McK

SpecialK
10-20-2005, 04:57 PM
You want some suggestions?

1. Don't do burnout sets. Just do the few heavy sets to failure. Muscle soreness is not an indicator of muscle growth. Point - I usually don't get sore after most workouts, unless I have taken a week off or something, yet I obviously make progress (while bulking anyway)

2. I don't know what a "butterfly machine is", but if I were you, I'd just stick to free weights, except for a few things like cable crunches, lat pulldowns, tri pulldowns, etc.

3. Eat more!

McIrish
10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Yesterday, I played about an hour and a half of basketball in lieu of doing my leg workout, and instead pushed the week's workouts all back one day (looks like I'll be lifting on Saturday this week, oh well). I actually noticed marked progress in my 'ups,' as I was able to monstrously block the guy I was playing with, which was a nice new experience. The view is different from way up there ;) I'm about 5'9'' or thereabouts, and it's been a lifelong goal of mine to just throw down a dunk ONCE (I can palm the ball standing, but in the air is another story), so this was at least moderately encouraging. I'm only a few inches off rim right now. Hopefully if I keep up the squats/lunges the rim will grow ever closer...

Anyhow, today was leg workout day.

Squats
168 lbs x 6, 173 x 4 (wowwww I felt weak - I'll try this same weight again next week and see if I can't get another rep. in there, etc.)

Lunges
104 x 6, 109 x 4 (I stopped early because I was fairly certain if I went down for #5, I wouldn't be coming back up again - again, I'll try the same weight next week for more reps)

Leg press machine
4 blue plates + 25 (again, this is 201 lbs plus carriage weight) x 6, 4 blue plates + 30 (206 plus carriage weight) x 6 (arrrrgh, I'm a monster... I'll be able to add that elusive 3rd blue on either side in no time!)

Hamstring machine
95 lbs x 6, 100 x 5 (I didn't warm-up before doing these, so I felt quite weak)

Seated calve press
67.5 kg x 6, 70 kg x 4.5 (same as last week... arrr)

Standing calve press (this was my first time attempting a standing calve press, so I fiddled around with the weight a bit)
88 lbs x 10, 132 x 10 (I can still safely go up from here quite a bit, but it's good to know where to start, no?)

My caloric intake is still hovering somewhere about 2,700/day, and I've had some friends positively complimenting my progress (outside of the gym, that is), so it's nice to have some positive feedback. I'll keep the eating habits fairly similar for the next month or so, and that'll give me three straight months of this eating scheme so I can better evaluate it. In the meantime, I shall continue my beastly habits. I'm a house!

Best,
McK

McIrish
10-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Since the rest of my week was pushed back one day, here is my back workout (normally Thurs., now Fri.).

Deadlifts
173 lbs x 6, 177 x 6 (again, a steady progression, approximately up 5 lbs./week... I'll crack 200 in no time! Mind you, my lifetime personal record is 210 from last summer, so I'm looking to get back to where I was before two months of China-induced illness and abysmal diet)

Rows
95 lbs x 6, 95 x 6 (next week I will push this to 95/100)

Pull-ups
BW + 15 x 6, BW + 15 x 5 (absolutely no cheating on these, so next week I mayyyy try +15/+20)

Lat pull-down
130 x 6, 130 x 6, 140 x 4 (I think I am not doing these correctly, as I feel most of the effort in my biceps, rather than my lats - any suggestions?)

Shoulder press
150 x 6, 160 x 5 (grrr, no progress on this one)

I weighed myself in at the end of the back workout (as I do every week, and I'm up to 69.9 kg, or just under 154 lbs., which is roughly 3-4 lbs. a month... not bad for me).

Soooo my girlfriend has taken to reading these posts and teasing me for having started a "weightlifting journal." Oh well, you love me baby, I know no matter how nerdy I get you'll still like me (just wait till you see my magic card journal!! ;))

Ridiculously awesome and easy recipe of the week:
Buy a George Foreman mini-grill. Honestly, it's the best <$20 investment you'll ever make. Then, if you feel like splurging a little, buy salmon. In my locale, it's roughly over $5/lb., and I buy 2 lbs weekly. Then cut said salmon fillet in half, put a half lb. on the grill, and while you're waiting, make some long-grain brown rice (which Rice-a-Roni sells for less than a dollar a package, it's comparable to top ramen, only palatable). Sautee some spinach in light olive oil with garlic, throw that on the bed of rice, and place salmon on top. Voila. It's so tasty, I should open a restaurant.

Best,
McK

McIrish
10-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Well, due to a slight scheduling change in school, I've elected to push my entire schedule forward one day, so henceforth and forthwith, Mondays shall be my chest workout day. I felt exceptionally strong today for some reason and I think I am closer and closer to breaking all of my personal records, which is encouraging.

Bench
148 x 6, 153 x 4.5 (although this is only one more rep. than last week, I ALLLLMOST had #5, so I feel like I've made good progress. Next week, I should be up to 148x6, 153x6, which will feel good).

Decline
143 x 6, 148 x 3.5 (I added 5 lbs since last week, so although 3.5 doesn't seem particularly good, progress is progress)

Incline
121 x 6, 126 x 5.5 (Again, I added one more rep. on this last set from last week, so I should be able to easily throw down 121x6, 126x6 next week, and then I'll finally be able to upgrade to the elusive blue 20kg plate the week after that).

Afterwards, despite K's recommendations to the contrary, I love the feeling of industriousness of doing a burnout set afterwards, and figure it can't *hurt* my growth, right? Anyhow, I like doing them to prove to myself that my arms have nothing left in the tank - I did 111 lbs x 12, which is roughly on par with what I have been doing the past few weeks. However, I focused on doing the motion slowly and using my chest muscles as much as possible. Ahh what a good feeling.

I *was* going to do some fly's right now, but the benches were packed and I was anxious to leave for home (lots of work tonight)! In lieu, I elected to work on the machine I've been using the past few weeks, for 90 lbs x 5, 90x4 (whiiich is actually weaker than last week, though I think I expended more effort on the heavier weights on the bench today).

Finally, I rounded off the afternoon with weighed cable crunches
150 x 10, 150 x 10, 160 x 7 (I think next week I will push this to 150/160/160, to see if I can't at least get 10 on that first set of 160 lbs). The abs were killing afterwards, which is a good sign.

Anyhow, I'm still weighing in around 154 lbs (give or take, depending on time of day, etc.), so I figure the benching numbers are respectable for now. My personal goal is to be able to house up 225 for one rep EVER in my life and I figure this year is my chance. Since I'll only weigh somewhere in the 160 range in the foreseeable future, that's a reasonable goal, all things considered.

Delicious food thought of the day : Alright, I'll level - I think I'm addicted to watching Iron Chef: America. Granted, I'll never go out of my way to find the show, but I absolutely cannot avoid watching it if it is on TV. At any rate, I was inspired by the show + a restaurant in San Diego that had probably the best food I've EVER eaten before (Lamont Street Grille, if you were wondering), so I'm going to attempt tomorrow to recreate a grilled (blackened?) tuna steak with a light sliver of fried gorgonzola cheese (I'll use olive oil as a moderately heart-healthy alternative for shallow frying) on top with a spicy jalapeno glaze. That was perhaps the best food I have ever tasted in my life. Geeeeez. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Best,
McK

Built
10-25-2005, 12:08 AM
I wanna eat at YOUR place.

Saint Patrick
10-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Anyone with a name like that is okay in my book. What part of Ireland did you visit?

McIrish
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
:D
Anyone with a name like that is okay in my book. What part of Ireland did you visit?

My girlfriend is currently in Dublin so we split the time between Dublin and County Mayo, on the western coast, where my grandfather and grandmother were born. Their old house is currently somebody's farm-shack. My great-grandmother (99 years old!) still has such a thick Irish brogue I can hardly understand some of the things she says :cool:

McIrish
10-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Okkkk, so I guess I have to admit I actually like writing on this thing. :) It's good motivation, at the very least!

Today was leg day.

Squats
168 x 6, 173 x 6 (not bad, up two reps from last week and I'll add 5 more lbs. next week)

Lunges (6 on each leg)
104 x 6, 109 x 6 (again, not too hard, so I'll up this again next week)

Leg press
206 x 6, 211 x 6 (again this wasn't bad, I'll push it up next week)

Hamstring machine
95 x 6, 100 x 6 (I'll try this on 100/100)

Seated calve press
67.5 kg x 6, 70 kg x 5

Standing calve raise
70 kg x 10, 80 x 10 (I'll start on this next week - it wasn't bad)

Have a great week.
McK

McIrish
10-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Wheelz seems fine, although I think you'll see better results eventually as you replace the hamstring machine for SLDLs or glute-ham raises.

And do standing calf raises also. Seated raises work the soleus; standing raises work the gastroc, which you need for that diamond shape.

Stash

Soba, I finally started doing standing calve raises and I'm feeling stronger already. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.

McIrish
10-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Another thought - I *LOVE* the feeling of having sore legs/hamstrings when I'm walking around campus. I can just *feel* the basketball rim shrinking ever closer. I'll be launching my lanky white boy frame into space in no time. :evillaugh

McIrish
10-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Today I worked out the back.

Deadlifts
177 x 6, 182 x 6 (arrrrrrr I'm gettin monstrous)

BB Rows
95 x 6, 100 x 5.5 (I'll do 100/100 next week)

Pull-ups
body weight + 15 x 6, + 20 x 4 (but I could've done another two, I just slipped since my hands were sweating and it's hard to hold a dumbbell between your feet)
body weight x 8

Lat pull
130 x 6, 130 x 6, 140 x 6 (I'll up this to 130/140/140 next week)

Shoulder press machine
150x 6, 160 x 6 (arrrghhhh monster)

DB Shrugs
50's x 12, 50's x 10, 45 x 10 (it's my first time shrugging in a while so I have to get back to figureout what weight to use).

I made the best greek food today, more on that later when I have a chance.

Best,
McK

McIrish
10-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Today was working on arms (biceps and triceps).

BB Curls
70lb barbell x 6
75lb x 5

DB Curls
30s x 6
At this point, someone stopped me and asked if I wanted to do resistance curls with him since he saw me working biceps. So not only did I make enormous guns, but I made a friend. I agreed and did two sets of resistance curls on a preacher stand. Wowww, I don't think my arms have ever been that sore.

Weighted dips
BW + 20 x 10
BW + 25 x 10
BW + 30 x 8 (I'll do 25/25/30 next week)

Skull-crushers
Bar + 30 x 10
Bar + 30 x 10
Bar + 35 x 8 (next week I'll do +30/35/35)

Tricep pulldown (with the rope)
130 x 6
130 x 6 (next week, up to 130/140)

I finished off with some weighted ab cable crunches.
150 x 10
150 x 10
160 x 8 (hey, it's more more than last week, at least)

Now, it's time for a relaxing weekend (actually no thats a lie, it's midterm project weekend, so I'll be up to my eyeballs in power-point slides...arrgh). See you all next week.

McK

McIrish
10-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Happy Halloween! Today was back to the chest.

BB Bench Press
148 x 6
153 x 4.5 (grrr, no progress here!)

BB Decline
143 x 6
148 x 3.5 (again, no progress! grr)

BB Incline
121 x 5.5 (aaaand I lost a rep on this?)
126 x 3 (aaaaaand I lost 2 reps on this? Whaaaat, it's like the twilight zone, only instead of aliens from outer space, it's like I can't lift weights off my chest to save my life)

I finished my bench workout with burnouts, as per usual. Instead of last week's 111 x 12, I only managed 111 x 8, argh, so weak today. Maybe I didn't drink enough water?

Fly Machine
80 x 6
90 x 5

Cable Crunches
150 x 10
150 x 10
160 x 10 (inexplicably, my abs have become stronger as my bench decreased from last week - I don't get it)

Anyhow, I weighed myself since I'd forgotten to last week - roughly 70.9 kg, or 156 lbs. That seems to be a steady increase of roughly a pound or so a week, and I'm still eating somewhere around 2700 calories a day. Maybe it is time to up this number to 3000... I'll see if tomorrow's workouts have similar losses, and if so, I'll bump it up a little bit. I've still totally got the abs, which is nice, and I don't want to sacrifice those to just get huge (with a spare tire). Grr, tomorrow I better not have lost any on my squats :bang: Haha, anyhow, today was a great day otherwise. Happy Halloween dudes

McIrish
11-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Today was "teh wheelz."

Squats
173 lbs x 6
177 lbs x 5

Lunges
109 x 6
114 x 5 (roar, it's gettin to almost PR territory here)

Leg Press
4 Blue + 35 lbs (sooo I think that is 211 lbs + carriage) x 6
4 Blue + 40 lbs (216+carriage?) x 6

Hamstrings
95 x 6
100 x 6 (next week it'll be 100/100)

Seated calve raise
67.5 kg x 6 (but I thought I was cheating a little, so I made sure to try again in lieu of putting on more weight)
67.5 kg x 6 good ones

Standing calve raises
80 kg x 10
roughly 88 kg x 10 (I'll start here next week, this wasn't hard)

I LOVE this feeling of sore legs. Our gym has one of those hanging measures to see how big your ups are, and I can reasonably get my hand above the 9'7'' one, meaning if I can only increase my ups by a conservative twelve inches, I'll be slam dunking a basketball in no time, and then I'll have realized one of my life's greatest ambitions (ohhh, the little things :)) Sooo... another foot, eh...gosh I dream of the day where I can get one on a fast break and just throw it down :evillaugh

McIrish
11-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Today was back day.

Deadlifts
182 x 6
187 x 6 (booyah, I'm about 20 lbs away from PR territory... slowly but surely)

BB Rows
100 x 6
100 x 6 (I'll up this second one to 105 next time, since I was cheating a liiiiiiittle bit on these)

Pull-ups
BW + 20 x 6
BW + 20 x 5 (roarrrrr, these were perfect form)
BW x 8

Lat Pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6
140 x 6
I still feel like I'm not doing these right - when you do them, do you pull the bar till it literally touches your chest (like I see some people doing), or just reasonably below your chin? ideas?

Anyhow, I had to run after the workout to call my girlfriend para quien soy loquisimo :D At any rate, I feel a bunch stronger lately than I have before, so I think this working out thing is actually having some good effects (since I started roughly 2 months ago... yayyyy that's good motivation to keep it up). I told my roommate I'd swim with him tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m. (I know, what was I thinking?) soooo I'll keep this brief... peace dudes

Oh! Also, I weighed myself (as with every wednesday)

with shirt/shorts, 70.4 kg (sooo roughly 155 lbs, which while lower than last time's weight is likely due to fluctuation...but on the long term, I'm still goin up around a pound a week)

McIrish
11-03-2005, 03:07 PM
WOW. I swam this morning for 20 minutes (don't get me wrong, I didn't actually swim straight for 20 minutes, I'm actually quite awful at swimming now... I used to be good when I was really young but I lost that after 10 years of not going regularly) and I finished 10 laps (haha bad, I know), so now I'm going to go twice a week for cardio to get my work in there. I'll post periodically to see if I can't get more laps/day.

McIrish
11-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Arms.

BB Curls
75 x 6
75 x 5 (not bad, I'll stick with this for one more week probably to make sure I can easily get that 2nd set)

DB Curls
30's x 6
35's x 5 (I'll stick with this again, too, to make sure my form is perfect)

Weighted dips
BW + 25 x 10
BW + 25 x 10
BW + 30 x 10
Hey, you think I should be doing less reps on these? I think next week I'll do +30/+30/+35 and just go for less reps

skullcrushers
bar + 30 x 10
bar + 35 x 10
bar + 35 x 10
I'll push this to +35/+35/+40 next week as these were not that difficult.

Tricep cable pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6 buuuut I think I used shoulders on this one a little to cheat, so I'll stick with this weight

DB Shrugs
50s x 10
55s x 10
60s x 10 (I'm still experimenting with what weight to use, so next week I'm starting with the 55's)

Ab cable crunches
150 x 10
160 x 10
160 x 10 (these were beatingly difficult and I used my arms to cheat a little, so I'm sticking with the same weight to make sure next week)

Afterwards I got home and totallly took a protein and raw oat shake to the nugget, roarrr I'm a house.

SpecialK
11-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I would move the reps down to the 4-8 range if I were you. Everyone has their own personal preference but I have found that lower reps/higher weight seems to work best.

Also I would do barbell shrugs instead of DB shrugs. DB shrugs will get to be a real pain as you move up in weight.

McIrish
11-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I went to do my chest workout today, and much to my chagrin, the ENTIRE gym on campus was shut down due to a broken water main and a horribly flooded basement. Apparently, nothing will be working until NEXT Monday at the earliest!! ARRRRRRRRRR *frustration sets in*. In the meantime, at least I'll be able to swim in the OTHER gym building on campus (which conveniently lacks a weight room).

SpecialK
11-07-2005, 06:59 PM
I went to do my chest workout today, and much to my chagrin, the ENTIRE gym on campus was shut down due to a broken water main and a horribly flooded basement. Apparently, nothing will be working until NEXT Monday at the earliest!! ARRRRRRRRRR *frustration sets in*. In the meantime, at least I'll be able to swim in the OTHER gym building on campus (which conveniently lacks a weight room).

Damn, that sucks...haha you're going to shrink back down to like 135 lbs. ahahha

McIrish
11-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Well, it sucks to not have a gym - the latest update is the gym won't be available for lifting until at least Saturday. The student at the desk politely told me I could seek a temporary membership at 24 Hour Fitness, after which I headbutted him in the face and told him that this was not a possibility because it requires a) a car to drive to said facility, and b) paying a month's membership. Well, half of that story is true anyway. So I swam instead this morning (7 a.m. again!) and I did 10 laps again, but they were WAY easier - I'll keep going 2-3x a week and push this up each time.

McIrish
11-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, FINALLY the gym re-opened, so I've just pushed back the workouts a few days, that's all. I actually ahd some nice gains.

BB Bench
148 x 6
153 x 5 and 3/4, I allllmost got this one - next week I'll do 153/153

BB Decline
143 x 6
148 x 5 and 1/2

BB Incline
121 x 6
126 x 5 (and I should have had #6, also, but I nicked something on the way up and it threw off my lift)

I finished the chest workout with some burnouts, as usual, and did 111 lbs x 12, which is actually on par with where I was before last week, so that's good.

I finished the day with some weighted ab work
Cable crunches
150 x 10
160 x 10
160 x 10

Built
11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Nothing like a forced rest!

Glad you're back at 'er!

SpecialK
11-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Nice workout. I'd personally drop the burnout sets though. They are totally unncessary, IMO. It's the heavy sets that cause you to grow.

Built
11-10-2005, 07:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing. They don't really do anything.

McIrish
11-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Built, SpecialK: Actually, you're both probably right, and I'll defer to you on this one, anyhow. I think from now on, I'll probably just take them out - worker smarder, not harder, as they say... thanks!

McIrish
11-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Today was my leg day - I had some minor annoyances/good motivation today so when I walked into the gym I was pumped and ready to go. I honestly think no matter what the problem in your life is you're better served by avoiding your initial reaction/getting pissed off; rather, just go for a run or lift up some heavy objects and replace them or something and then you'll calm down - at least in my experience, I'm far more able to calmly handle things when I have some time to mull them over and work out any initial frustration. And, I'm so serious - anything that gets me working out my legs is good, because I *WILL* dunk a basketball in my lifetime. ph33r m3, b45k3tl3a11 r1m

Legs

Squats
177 x 6
182 x 3.5 (I'll stick with this next week, I just felt I was putting too much pressure on my back with the lift...but all in all, a nice increase from my humble beginnings at 133 two months ago)

Lunges
109 x 6
114 x 6 (another rep, not bad, a few more pounds and I'm in lifetime PR territory)

Leg Press
Carriage + 216 lbs x 6
Carriage + 221 lbs x 6 (roarrr, not bad for me)

SLDL (this was my first time ever doing these, so I had *no* idea how much weight to use)
89 x 6
89 x 6, this was definitely too easy so I will try with 10 more next week and judge from there

Seated Calve Press (I felt like I cheated on these last week so I wanted to make sure to do them all correctly)
67.5 kg x 6
67.5 kg x 6 (I'll push this second set up 2.5kg next week)

Standing Calve Press
196 lbs x 10
206 lbs x 10

Afterwards, I weighed myself - 71.2 kg, or roughly 156.6 (that's a full 3.2 kg increase since I started weighing myself weekly on Sept. 15th... sooo, all in all, a 7 lb increase in two months... not bad, not bad. bulk bulk bulk :evillaugh )

Built
11-12-2005, 01:35 AM
SLDLs are great. I do 'em as RDLs, which I like even better. You're not locking your knees on these, hey? Making sure you keep a strong arch in your back?

Ever do GMs?

McIrish
11-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Built: Thanks for the heads-up on the SLDL - I clicked one of those demonstrative links online that show you a video of someone doing a SLDL and I *think* my form is passable. Next time, I'll take extra pains to do them exactly right.

So today was my 'back day' (well, not really, but a stupid gym flooding pushed my workouts back a few days... apparently, as of last weekend, you could've ridden a canoe around our indoor track. Now THERE'S a sight...)

Deadlifts
187 x 6
192 x 6 (roar. My lifetime PR is 205, so I'm so close...)

BB Rows
99 x 6
104 x 6 (again, not bad at all - I think I'll try 104/104 next week)

Weighted Pull-ups
Body weight + 20 x 6
Body weight + 25 x 4
Body weight x 9 (I had some nice progress on these from last week, and next week I'll do +20/+25/+0 again...I was happy I could throw down 9 pullups after doing two weighted sets)

Lat Pull-down (I decreased the weight on this a little, which was a bit of a letdown, but I wanted to make sure I had a full range of motion)
120 x 6
120 x 6 (these were as close to perfect form as I could ask for, so I'll up this to 120/130 next week)

Afterwards, I jogged home in time to see Notre Dame spank the Naval Academy. That being said, I have nothing but respect for all of our men and women in the armed forces (in my pre-college years I heavily considered attending AFA), and I was cheering every time Navy picked up the ball. Who else can't wait to watch the Army v. Navy game at the end of the season?

Built
11-12-2005, 04:04 PM
This is the form I like to use for SLDLs/RDLs

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/GluteusMaximus/BBStrBackStiffLegDeadlift.gif

I keep a stronger arch in my back, and stick my ass out and back farther. Weight travels up and down the body, directly over the feet. I start 'em at the lowest pin in the power cage, and I never use a platform.

McIrish
11-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Chest

Today was the best workout I've had in a while... PRs here I come.

BB Flat bench
153 x 6
158 x 4.5 (up 5lbs from last week)

BB Decline
148 x 6
153 x 4.5 (up 5 lbs)

BB Incline (where I had magically huge gains?)
126 x 6
133 x 6 and I could've done more... finally 1pps!!

I finished off the afternoon with some cable crunches for hte abs
140 x 10
150 x 10
160 x 10 (I pulled the weight down on the sets to see if I could make sure to use the right form)

Goals coming ever closer... :evillaugh

McIrish
11-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Today's workout was alllllll legs.

Squats
177 x 6
182 x 6 (booyah! I'm 25 lbs away from a lifetime PR)

Lunges
111 x 6
116 x 6 (I've finally graduated to a 15kg plate per side, and since at our gym they're bright yellow, this is a large step up from the drab, grey steel of the 10 kg plates...I love conspicuous progress! oh and I'm 15 lbs away from a lifetime PR!!)

Leg press
carriage + 220 x 6
carriage + 225 x 6

Hamstring machine (I would've done SLDL, but some doof was doing *multiple* sets of curls in the squat rack... we're talking like more than 10 sets, and I couldn't bear asking him to work in lest my head explode)
100 x 6
105 x 6 (not bad, up 5 lbs from last time I did these)

Seated calve press (as per SpecialK's recommendations, I dropped the weight considerably on these to perform 10 reps as opposed to 6)
60 kg(132 lbs) x 10
132 lbs x 10

SpecialK: thanks!

Standing calve press (in a smith machine, I think? one of those standing squat racks?)
bar + 206 x 10
bar + 211 x 10 (not bad, another 5 lb increase from last week)

Today was a pretty sweet workout. I finished up the workout with 300 side bends (per side!) with a 2.5 lb weight. I was going to do more (weight, not reps!) but I know that the more weight you add, the more bulky you get, and if you know me, you *must* know how I detest bulky sides (side note : who doesn't?). Then I went back to the squat rack, high-fived the guy there, and shared 10 sets of curls with neglible weight. I celebrated by going home and housing a delicious protein shake with honey.

Alright most of that last paragraph was a lie - I did feel good about the workout today and adding honey really made the shake palatable for once. I'm pretty sure I once read in Beowulf that the ancient English kings also threw a pretty sweet party back in the day where everyone got frunk on honeyed mead, so all I need to do is ferment tomorrow's shake and I'll be halfway on my way to a middle-English partayyyyy. You're all invited.

Then for dinner, I noticed I had a random half onion from something from before, so I ate half an onion (sauteed) with some salmon and rice. Ohhhh holy halitosis batman, that was a mistaaaaaake - good thing my girl's out of town now (come home soon, ok? i miss you, beautiful). :angel:

SpecialK
11-16-2005, 09:55 AM
You can just imagine how pissed I was getting reading that paragraph about the side bends, but then I saw you were just joking, so now I feel better. ;)

McIrish
11-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Today's workout will be subtitled : "are they called deadlifts because after you complete them you would rather be dead?" Haha, I have literally zero energy left right now.

I was throwing down deadlifts today and was in the zone and didn't notice that apparently I'd started profusely bleeding. I guess thats a sign I'm performing them correctly, right? Right? Buehler...Buehler...? While lifting them up, I keep the bar close to my shins, and I guess I'd dragged the bar on my right shin without noticing, and had bled a bit. Someone then told me, I quickly exited the zone, cleaned myself up, and re-entered the zone (with about an inch distance carefully buffering me from further war wounds provided by a rolled-up t-shirt [side note : aha, mandatory gym apparel proves useful, as I could use own t-shirt to cover myself up momentarily]).

Anyhow, the numbers are on a steady upward climb and I'm making great gains.

Deadlifts
192 x 6
197 x 6 (mwahaha, next week I graduate to the 1 blue (20kg) plate + 1 yellow (15 kg) per side... more conspicuous plateaus reached)

BB Rows
104 x 6
109 x 4 (again, next week I'm up to the 1 yellow/side... nice)

Weighted pull-ups
body weight + 22 x 6
body weight + 27 x 3.5 (this was quite tough, I'll stick with this same weight...does anyone else find it moderately disconcerting to have large, weighted plates hanging on your waist?)
body weight x 9 (not bad, not bad)

Lat pull down
120 x 6
130 x 6 (I lowered the weight intentionally the past few times to get the bar as close as I can to my chest, but I swear I can't actually reach my chest with it at all... thoughts?)

I weighed myself afterwards, and I'm at 72.0 kg (158.4 lbs, which is approximately a 2 lb increase from last Friday, though much of this is due to water, I'm assuming, as the diet has remained largely static)...anyhow I'll keep an eye on this. I'm somewhere around 3,000 calories per day... not bad, not bad. Did you know that tabasco sauce makes anything palatable? I was lazy this afternoon for lunch and it even made tuna sandwiches taste like (you guessed it) blazingly hot tabasco sauce (which is better than tuna anyday in my book). Thanks, Daves, you've killed all of my taste buds.

McIrish
11-16-2005, 11:55 PM
I discovered another half an onion and rather than make the same mistake I made yesterday ("oh, I know... I'll sautee this thing for about 30 seconds and then try to eat it almost raw") I totally sauteed it in some light olive oil WITH some mustard in the pan and then put it on my normal ham sandwich with some spinach. Nooooot bad, if I do say so myself.

McIrish
11-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I have nothing but respect for any of you who are competitive swimmers on ANY level. Geeeeez, what a draining sport - I swam 8 laps today, but I did so in combinations of 2 at a time (yeahhh gettin there!), at moderate pace/sprint/rest 30 seconds (but as I went through the cycles, my 30 seconds extended somewhat... I must work on that). I'm fairly confident I could actually throw down 3 in a row now, which is somewhat of an improvement from last week's 1 at a time/stop to cough out half the pool that i swallowed. Booyah, gettin it done.

McIrish
11-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Today was the end-of-week wrap up, including bis/tris/shoulders. I also swam this morning, but it wasn't particularly taxing due to time constraints (I only got 15 minutes in the pool due to telling myself "ohhh I'll just give another 5 minutes of sleep" which turned into 20 before I had realized it).

BB curls
75 x 6
80 x 4 (not bad, up 5 lbs again... I feel I'm reaching the point of diminishing returns here, though)

DB Curls
35s x 6
35s x 5 (not bad, I'll keep this on the same next week unless I feel a sudden burst of energy hit me)

Dips (I dropped down from sets of 10 to 6, and I upped the weight accordingly)
body weight + 33 x 6
body weight + 44 x 6
body weight + 44 x 6 (that's a lifetime dip personal record, heck yeah!! It's about time I put some red in this journal. I like hanging a huge blue plate while dipping - afterwards I felt really beastly, not unlike that guy in the "under armor" commercial, so I pounded my chest and screamed "We must protect this house!", after which pyrotechnics erupted and a throng of cameramen scrambled to interview me while cheerleaders fainted in the background)

Skullcrushers
curvy bar (what is that one called?) + 40 x 6
curvy bar + 45 x 6
curvy bar + 45 x 6 (these weren't hard, so I'll push this up another 5 lbs next week)

Tricep cable pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6 (not bad, not bad... I'll stick here to make sure I have the form down)

Shrugs (in a weird contraption I'd never used before... it's a bar that has a mysterious square opening in the middle, within which you stand, which places the plates on your outsides with the rest of the bar... has anyone seen this mysterious bar before? Know how much it weighs?)
bar + 88 lbs x 12
bar + 88 lbs x 10

Ab cable crunches (upped reps by 2)
140 x 12
150 x 12
160 x 10 (I couldn't get the last two...stick with it!)

All in all, today's workout felt great. I felt monstrous hanging that plate from my waist and then dipping... more red to come! :evillaugh

McIrish
11-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Well, I did not feel too beastly today. You can't have great workouts EVERY time, I suppose. At any rate, I'm still on the gradual upward progression, and I've had people comment lately, asking if I've been working out, so I suppose that's a good sign?

Chest

Bench
153 x 6
158 x 4.5 (although no numerical improvement, these were markedly easier than last week's)

Decline
148 x 6
153 x 3.5 (grr, I lost a rep on these)

Incline
133 x 6
138 x 2.5 (I was totally wiped but thought instead of doing 126/133, as with last week, I would just try 133/138... I guess I'll just stick 133/138 for a few weeks, as these were beatingly hard... but that *IS* a PR for me, since I have never incline pressed 138. booyah.)

Butterfly machine
80 x 6
90 x 6 (but I cheated 1% on the last one)

Ab crunches
140 x 12
150 x 12
160 x 12 (booyah)

Actually, the abs are coming in nicely - thanks Built and SpecialK for the reminder that abs are made in the kitchen, and that short, weighted sets > hours of futile crunching.

Afterwards, I was walking out of the gym when I ran into someone I know from a youth group - here's a bit of background. She's from Poland and runs track, and happens to be around 6'0'', blonde, and pretty. Anyhow, I stop to say hi and catch up for a second and as I'm walking away, some dip who is clearly checking her out then asks me quite loudly "Dude-bro, what country is she from?", to which I reply "Poland," and then while still clearly in earshot he says "Wow, those Polish girls... *catcall*". I don't know why, but that really irritated me - I mean, come on, have some respect - she's still standing right there, the least he could do is have some class. If you don't respect women I will just be a beast about it and punch you in the face myself :soapbox:

SpecialK
11-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, I did not feel too beastly today. You can't have great workouts EVERY time, I suppose. At any rate, I'm still on the gradual upward progression, and I've had people comment lately, asking if I've been working out, so I suppose that's a good sign?

Chest

Bench
153 x 6
158 x 4.5 (although no numerical improvement, these were markedly easier than last week's)

Decline
148 x 6
153 x 3.5 (grr, I lost a rep on these)

Incline
133 x 6
138 x 2.5 (I was totally wiped but thought instead of doing 126/133, as with last week, I would just try 133/138... I guess I'll just stick 133/138 for a few weeks, as these were beatingly hard... but that *IS* a PR for me, since I have never incline pressed 138. booyah.)

Butterfly machine
80 x 6
90 x 6 (but I cheated 1% on the last one)

Ab crunches
140 x 12
150 x 12
160 x 12 (booyah)

Actually, the abs are coming in nicely - thanks Built and SpecialK for the reminder that abs are made in the kitchen, and that short, weighted sets > hours of futile crunching.

Afterwards, I was walking out of the gym when I ran into someone I know from a youth group - here's a bit of background. She's from Poland and runs track, and happens to be around 6'0'', blonde, and pretty. Anyhow, I stop to say hi and catch up for a second and as I'm walking away, some dip who is clearly checking her out then asks me quite loudly "Dude-bro, what country is she from?", to which I reply "Poland," and then while still clearly in earshot he says "Wow, those Polish girls... *catcall*". I don't know why, but that really irritated me - I mean, come on, have some respect - she's still standing right there, the least he could do is have some class. If you don't respect women I will just be a beast about it and punch you in the face myself :soapbox:

Hey, that's not as bad as the time Tally and Jhosk were sitting out on the quad, calling out numbers right as girls walked by....lol...

Tally: "ONE!"

McIrish
11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey, that's not as bad as the time Tally and Jhosk were sitting out on the quad, calling out numbers right as girls walked by....lol...

Tally: "ONE!"

Hahaha, actually my girlfriend walked RIGHT by while they were calling out numbers...while they were discussing what number she was, Talley says "Yo, naw man, tha's my RA's girlfriend." I'm biased so *I'D* give her a ten (hey, I'm all about respecting women for personality and intelligence, but she IS incredibly sexy), but I think they'd 9 her up. :nod:

McIrish
11-22-2005, 08:07 PM
I get to see my beautiful girl in just over a month, so I have approximately 5 more weeks to get even more cut and nasty large. :thumbup:

Just kidding, that's not my only motivation, but it sure is icing on the cake. I love the feeling anyway. And I swear as you wanna-be-big monsters as my witness, I will dunk a basketball. I'm gettin' it done!

I swam twelve laps this morning, and I actually managed to do three straight, and then sets of slow/sprint/rest, which was a GREAT workout. I feel like I'm making good progress on my swimming, too, which is nice.

Tonight was teh wheels. I felt like a true monster. As with always, numbers are in pounds, unless otherwise specified.

Squats
182 x 6
187 x 5 (noooot bad, gettin it done)

Lunges
116 x 6
121 x 5 (booyah, that's PR territory)

Leg Press
carriage + 225 x 6
carriage + 230 x 6 (not baaad)

Hamstring
100 x 6
105 x 6

Seated Calve Press
60 kg x 10
60 kg x 10

Standing Calve Press (in a Smith machine, I believe?)
bar + 211 lbs x 10
bar + 216 lbs x 10 (roarrrr, not bad)

Afterwards, just for goofs I attempted to see what my max bench was (mind you, I benched yesterday, so I'm still a bit sore, and I did no warm-up whatsoever... this isn't so much an exact science as it was a lark) - I actually threw up 177 relatively easy and could've done (possibly) 185 (roarrrrrrrr). That deserves some red.
Bench Press
177 lbs x 1

McIrish
11-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Well, I've definitely earned a mountain of turkey tomorrow. I monstered out at the gym today and feel like I'm making great gains.

Deadlift
199 x 6
204 x 4 (not baaaad, after 210 its alllll PR)

BB Rows
104 x 6
109 x 5 (not bad, one extra rep from last week)

Pull-ups
body weight + 22 x 6
body weight + 27 x 3.5 (geez, these were easier than last time but still incredibly tough)
body weight x 9 (these, on the other hand, felt like I was doing pull-ups on the moon... easy)

Lat Pulldown
120 x 6
130 x 6 (I think I'll push this to 130/130 next week)

BB Shrugs
89 x 15
109 x 15 (I think I'll push the weight up a bunch and drop down to 6-8 reps next time, these were kinda easy)

Afterwards, I weighed myself, and while this was earlier in the day than normal, and I could've lost some water weight, I mysteriously weigh only 71.3 kg, or 156.9 lbs, which is less than last week's 72.0 kg. grrr. Oh well, my lifts are going up, so this loss is likely water more than anything else.

Now, it's time to go devour an entire crop of sweet potatoes and perhaps a few turkeys at my aunt's house. Should be fun - have a great Thanksgiving everyone! There's a lot to be thankful for!!

McIrish
11-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Well, after a solid two days of non-stop eating, I figured I should at least get back to swimming over the weekends. Booyah, I did three laps straight to start it out, which is a great improvement for me (haha). Afterwards, I did sprint/slow/rest, which drained me like no other, and after about 15 minutes of this grueling punishment, I staggered back home with the biggest pump I've EVER had in my life. Honestly, I felt like my shoulders and lats were going to rip right out of my skin.

denami
11-27-2005, 08:25 AM
lifts are lookin good man, haha ive always drempt of dunking a basketball too, unfortunately at 5'8 the closest ive come is getting rim haha

McIrish
11-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Denami - haha I hear that bro... I'm convinced if I keep at it though, I'll actually be able to get it ONCE in my life. I won't give up, that's for sure.

Monday
Today was the chest workout day.

BB Bench Press
158 x 6
163 x 3.99999 (I was so close to throwing down that fourth one... arrrr. If I get above 165 for reps, that's PRRRRRRR)

BB Decline Press
148 x 6
153 x 6 (heck yeahhhh, next week I'll be @ 158, which is PR territory)

BB Incline Press
133 x 6
138 x 5 (alriiiiigt, not bad... the PRs keep coming)

Fly machine
90 x 6
100 x 5.999999 (sooo close... next week I'll start here)

Ab cable crunches (I decided that doing a simple set of 12 wasn't targetting my abs enough, so I'm going back to doing a drop set and making sure I get the form right on 25 reps)
130 x 25 x 3 (I'm fairly confident nearly all of the motion came from ab contraction alone)

Anyhow, this was a great workout, and I'm benching over 160 for reps, which is nice - I'll be able to throw down 170 for reps by the end of 2005 for sure!

McIrish
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Today I worked out the legs (on limited time, so I neglected calves at the end)

Squats
187 x 6
192 x 5 (yeahhh)

Lunges
121 x 6
126 x 4 (hell yeah thats definitely PR)

Leg press
carriage + 230 x 6
carriage + 235 x 6 (heck yeah)

Hamstrings
105 x 2
100 x 4 (for these, my legs randomly started bothering me, so I elected to call it an early night due to time constraints).

Now I'm going to eat an entire cow for dinner.

SpecialK
11-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Time to up those cals to 3300

McIrish
12-01-2005, 06:18 PM
SpecialK : haha thanks for the heads up bro, when I want to become a monster I'll push those up in this piece

Today I worked out my back.

Deadlifts
204 x 6
209 x 6 (yeah! PR next week after I push above 210 pounds)

BB Rows
111 x 6
116 x 4

Pull-ups (these were hard today, I think it's because I felt a little under the weather at the time)
BW + 22 x 5
BW + 24.5 x 2 (ahhh sooo tired)
BW x 10 (but these were inexplicably ridiculously easy)

Lat Pull
130 x 6
130 x 6

BB Shrugs (on a 'smith machine,' I believe, as nothing else was available)
bar + 88 lbs x 12
bar + 118 lbs x 10 (I'll do this weight from now on if I use a smith machine)

Afterwards, I weighed myself. I'm gradually gettin there - today was at 72.3 kg, or 159.06. Not bad, gettin to 170 slowly but surely.

SpecialK
12-01-2005, 07:04 PM
For shrugs, just use a regular bar. Go inside the squat rack and set the bar down on the safety pins.

McIrish
12-02-2005, 06:29 PM
SpecialK: Thanks!!

HAha today was the end-of-week arm stuff and ab work.

BB Curls
75 x 6
80 x 4

DB Curls
35's x 6
35's x 6 (alriiiight, next week I'll try 40's)

Dips (apparently my bones are hollow or something? It feels like I'm doing these underwater...wayyyy too easy)
body weight + 44 lbs x 6
body weight + 49 lbs x 6
body weight + 54 lbs x 6
(I'll start next week here)

Skullcrushers
bar + 45 x 6
bar + 45 x 6
bar + 45 x 6 (I'll push this last set up to 50 next time, it was pretty tough)

Tricep cable pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6

Ab crunches
130 x 25
130 x 25
130 x 25 (not bad, my abs are burning right now)

Afterwards, more on a lark than anything else, I warmed up for a bench just to see what I could get (to see if I could throw down any more than last week's 177). I was THISSSSSSSSS close to getting 182 on the bench.

SpecialK
12-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Dude quit obsessing over bench so much. Just do it once a week like everything else. If you keep trying to max out every week in addition to your normal training, you might run the risk of overtraining, and then you are in trouble.

McIrish
12-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Dude quit obsessing over bench so much. Just do it once a week like everything else. If you keep trying to max out every week in addition to your normal training, you might run the risk of overtraining, and then you are in trouble.

SpecialK: Yeah, come to think of it, you're right - I was only performing extra bench sets purely for an ego boost ("aha, I can bench 180 lbs!"). Thanks for keepin me on track, bro.

12/05 Monday
Today was the chest day.

BB Bench
158 x 6
163 x 4.5 (up one rep from last week, gotta stick with this!)

BB Decline press
153 x 6
158 x 4.5 (not bad, up 5lbs from last week)

Incline
138 x 5
138 x 4 (and this last one had a little help, so I'm not really sure if it was *all* me)

Butterfly machine
100 x 6
105 x 4.9999999 (almost had this one - short a few inches on the last rep)

Weighted ab cable crunches
130 x 25
130 x 25
140 x 25 (not bad, I felt like I was focusing all of the effort here on my stomach, which is good)

All in all, a pretty good workout - someone saw me doing it, complimented some of my #'s, and asked if I took any supplements. I told him I eat protein powder, but I don't count that a supplement in the same vein as creatine/etc. Afterwards, I told him he should check out WBB and he laughed adn though I was making a joke (admittedly, this illustrious site's name is laughable... though I *do* wanna be big, afterall :french: ). However, on the upside, people have definitely commented lately that they think I'm looking bigger, and shirts are beginning to shrink (though that is clearly a function of my drier, which only has two settings, both of which are needlessly hot). I found out I can use a webcam I own to take pictures to track some progress, so some should be coming shortly. Peace all.

McIrish
12-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Due to a bunch of final projects at inopportune times, I had to push back lifting by two days this week... oh well, I'll still get it all in.

Legs

Squats
192 x 6
197 x 4 (not bad, gettin there slowly but surely)

Lunges
121 x 6
126 x 4 (again not bad, I'm always afraid if I try to push myself I'll just tip over on the last rep, so I take these a little easy)

Leg press
carriage + 235 x 6
carriage + 240 x 6 (I'm so close to getting 3pps, soooo close)

I skipped hamstrings today in light of time constraints.

Calve press (sitting)
60 kg x 10
60 kg x 10

Standing calve press
216 lbs x 10
221 lbs x 10 (not baaad, I feel my calves growing as we speak)

All in all, today was a good workout - it's a great way to relieve stress, that's for sure, and what with finals/friends/family and everything life has been kinda stressful lately.

McIrish
12-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Today I walked into the gym pumped because of some mild annoyances that I constructively knocked out after a good workout. roarrrr

Back

Deadlifts
209 x 6
214 x 6 (I felt so 'in the zone' on this one and threw this weight down like it was paper... yay for being miffed when you work out?)

BB Rows (no progress here, though)
111 x 6
116 x 4

Pull-ups (minor progress)
body weight + 22 lbs x 5
body weight + 24.5 lbs x 4
body weight x 9

Lat Pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 4 (not bad, I'll stick for next week)

Afterwards, I weighed myself at a solid 73 kg, or 160.6 lbs, which is a nice increase over the past few months. On top of that, some friends have definitely commented that I'm looking bigger, which is nice. Hoooooray for positive reinforcement.

http://www.4q.cc/vin/index.php?topthirty

Hahahaha you HAVE to check that out - "When Vin Diesel was born, the nurse said, "Holy crap! That's Vin Diesel!" Then she had had sex with him. At that point, she was the third girl he had slept with. " haha.

McIrish
12-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Operation "Get huge before the girlfriend comes home in 3 weeks" is underway... haha. I miss you, come home baby.

Today was end of week arm stuff and stomach workout.

BB Curls
75 x 6
80 x 4

DB Curls
35 x 6
40 x 3

Dips
body weight + 54 lbs x 6
body weight + 59 lbs x 6

Skullcrushers
bar + 44 lbs x 6
bar + 44 lbs x 6
bar + 49 lbs x 6

Tricep cable pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6

Afterwards, I finished up with some ab crunches using a cable.
140 lbs x 20
140 lbs x 20
140 lbs x 20 (I'm gradually progressing the weight upwards and reps downwards and making sure that all of the effort is focusing on the stomach)

Hahaha honestly these stupid fake facts about Chuck Norris make me laugh so hard... I'm particularly fond of "To prove it isn't that big of a deal to beat cancer, Chuck Norris smoked 15 cartons of cigarettes a day for 2 years and aquired 7 different kinds of cancer only to rid them from his body by flexing for 30 minutes. Beat that, Lance Armstrong."

McIrish
12-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Today I worked my chest (and apparently going to bed at 3 a.m. last night ruined me for today, darn).

BB Bench
158 x 6
163 x 4.5 (no improvement here, and my spotter reallllllly made me work on rep #5, so I was consequently weaker for the rest of the workout... boo)

BB Decline Bench
153 x 5.5 (boo, lost a rep here)
153 x 2.5 (alright what the f, I felt weeeeeeeak here...last week I got 158 x 4, what gives?)

BB Incline Bench
133 x 4.5 (again, going down??)
133 x 4

Butterfly
100 x 5.9999 (almost got rep #6)
100 x 4.9999 (almost got rep #5)

Finally, I rounded off the afternoon with some ab workout with a weighted cable.
140 lbs x 20 reps x 3 sets

Afterwards, I went home and ate a cow. That'll show my muscles to get weaker (*burp*). Girlfriend home in 2 weeks!!!!!!!

SpecialK
12-14-2005, 03:23 PM
WTF is a butterfly? Sounds like another lift you would probably be better off eliminating. Focus on the big moves. Your 6 sets for chest (BB Bench, Incline, and Decline) are plenty.

McIrish
12-14-2005, 10:36 PM
WTF is a butterfly? Sounds like another lift you would probably be better off eliminating. Focus on the big moves. Your 6 sets for chest (BB Bench, Incline, and Decline) are plenty.

SpecialK: thanks for the advice, bro - I didn't really feel they were doing that much, so I'll just eliminate them without replacement, since there's diminishing marginal returns on doing so much chest work, anyhow.

Today was the wheeeeelz before a business final tonight (which I'm fairly certain I spanked).

Squats
192 x 6
197 x 5 (one more rep than last week, not bad)

Lunges
121 x 6
126 x 5 (again, one more rep)

Hamstrings
100 x 6
100 x 6 (I really should make a better effort to do SLDL every week - I think these hamstring machines are not as effective)

Sitting Calve Press
60 kg x 10
60 kg x 10 (I'll definitely push this up next week, as these were finally noticeably easier)

Standing Calve Press
221 lbs x 10
226 lbs x 10 (not bad, up another 5 from last week)

All in all, this was a nice workout - I feel like my legs are finally having noticeable gains (slowly but surely), and I'm trimming down the workout to make sure I keep only the most effective exercises. I'll dunk a bball yet :evillaugh

McIrish
12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks, school officials, for deciding that today you needed to 'investigate' the weightroom for yearly maintenance. Harr harr, too bad I snuck into the faculty weight room (this thing was honestly directly out of the 1940's and looks like it has seen many years without 'yearly maintenance').

Anyhow, today I housed out the back workout.

Deadlifts
215 x 6
220 x 4 (booyah, that's a lifetime PR)

BB Rows
115 x 6
115 x 4

Pull-ups (no dip belts to be found, so I just did BW on this one at the very least)
BW x 9
BW x 8 (alright, this is WEIRD... usually I do two sets of weighted dips before doing body weight and I get 9 on my first bodyweight set AFTER doing weighted pullups...what gives?)

Lat pulldown (the prehistoric lat pulldown machine only had cryptic number markings, so I pulled down on #8, YEAH!)
#8 x 6
#9 x 6

While I *did* weigh myself, the scale read 151 - aw man, I lost 9 lbs in a week!! It wasn't the normal scale I use, however, which was 'under maintenance' ( :scratch: why do you need to do maintenance on a scale?)

SpecialK
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Dude just get your own scale. I got mine at meijer for like $12. It's more meaningful to weigh yourself first thing in the morning every time anyway.

McIrish
12-22-2005, 09:20 PM
So I finagled my way into a gym back home for a "short term membership" ($15 cash that the manager pocketed, most likely) but at least I'm working out again - the venality of the Bally's staff aside, it's an alright place to work out (never any lines on the weights upstairs, but if you're a cardio bunny you're screwed!).

Chest

BB Bench
160 x 6
165 x 4 (not baaaad, getting to my goal of 170 for reps!)

BB Decline
155 x 6
160 x 4

BB Incline
135 x 6
140 x 4

Ab Cable crunches
140 x 20 x 3 sets

McIrish
12-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Only a few more days to squeeze in before the awful January 1st-January 8th mad rush at the gym... I hate this part most EVERY YEAR because it's actually impossible to get any working done since everyone's new year's resolution is to work out and stay in shape...

Legs

Squats
195 x 6
200 x 4

Lunges
115 x 6
120 x 6 (I didn't actually realize that this was less weight than I was doing before... I was on auto-pilot and I'm not used to having my weights in pounds, again, rather than kilograms)

Leg press
6 plates x 6 x 2

Hamstring machine
90 x 6
110 x 6 (this weight is randomly easier than the machine I'm used to back at school... took some getting used to)

Calve press
135 lbs x 10
140 lbs x 10

Standing calve press
225 lbs x 10
235 lbs x 10

All in all, a good workout... judging by how I feel right now, I have a feeling Santa Clause is going to bring me a heaping helping of DOMS for Christmas presents this week. Oh well, I'm gettin there! Goals here I come (should have most/all of them by the start of the new year!) :evillaugh

McIrish
12-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Arrrgh, it seems my plans to save money have been foiled again.. apparently there are actually 2-week FREE passes you can print out to use the gym to "see if you like it" or not... that's karma, folks... I tried to trick the man and I ended up paying for it. Oh well, my conscience is clean now.

Today I did the back workout (and hit the first of my goals! booyah!)

Deadlift
220 x 6
225 x 6 (2 PPS! thats a lifetime personal record for me)

At this point, some big dude says 'hey nice numbers bro, wanna use my chalk' out of nowhere, so I used it for rows and we talked meathead things like deadlifts and chalk for a few minutes. Nice.

BB Rows
115 x 6
115 x 6

Pull-ups (no weight belt here, though... boo)
body weight x 9
body weight x 7 (boo, lost a rep from last week)

Lat pulldown
135 x 6
135 x 5 (then again, the machine was different from the one I normally use, so it'll take one session to get used to it, I suppose)

Anyhow, that is one of my "big three" goals achieved. Booyah, bench and squats here I come. I also get positive reinforcement from my friends at home, who all immediately comment on my gains, which is nice. The funniest is my buddy's dad - my best friend from HS is getting his PhD right now and his dad says within earshot "Son, don't lift as much as he does... that's not an 'academic look.'" Haha, I like that... I guess I wouldn't fit in at a PhD program because I'm not fat and lazy? I personally think I would respect my professors MORE if they could manage to be intelligent and beastly.

KevinStarke
12-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Congrats on the DL PR man!

SpecialK
12-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Nice work on the deads PR. Haha about the "academic look". I'm the second biggest guy I've ever seen in my EE department, so I definitely stand out and maybe don't look too "academic", but whatever. Oddly enough there is a powerlifting computer science major here who is significantly bigger and stronger than I am. Go figure.... He's a nice guy though, I see him at the gym a lot because we workout around the same time.

McIrish
01-09-2006, 06:26 PM
KevinStarke: Thanks a lot for the encouragement, man! I'm really impressed by your numbers and your feedback is great to hear.

SpecialK: hey, thanks a ton ya beast. Got any more recommendations for the upcoming week that don't involve eating more?

AAAAAAAAAAAND, I'm back! It's been a few weeks (as it turns out, it was beatingly hard to get on the computer back home to update this journal thing... on top of having younger brothers using the computer 24/7, I lost my physical journal, so I had to guestimate my numbers at the gym... sigh).

At any rate, I'm back in the swing of things. I took my one week off (I'm currently doing something along the lines of Max-OT and it was time for my requisite week off).

Today was the chest workout day (and I was feeling the ill effects of three weeks worth of non-regimented eating).

BB Bench
158 x 5
163 x 3

BB Decline
148 x 5
153 x 3

BB Incline
136 x 4
133 x 3

Abs (weighted cable crunches)
140 x 20
140 x 20
150 x 20

Well, that's it. It's time to re-earn the gains I lost in the past few weeks, and I've got my work cut out for me. Here goes!

GREAT food idea of the day - my ma made this AWESOME salmon in phyllo dough the other night, and I feel obligated to share it with the world. Layer a single layer of phyllo dough and lightly brush with olive oil. Repeat for 8 layers. Place salmon on top of dough - glaze salmon with mixture of brown/dijon mustard, chopped garlic, and a tiny bit of horseradish. Finish with 8 more similarly layered phyllo dough pieces. Bake on 350 or thereabouts for 20 minutes, enjoy (it's quite delicious).

KevinStarke
01-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Nice bench strength man, why do all 3 variations though? That salmon dish sounds awesome, havnt had fish in a long while.

McIrish
01-11-2006, 07:49 PM
KevinStarke: any recommendations on benching? I do all three different types of benching (2 sets each) to make sure I hit the chest hard 1x/week... any reason I should eliminate one of these? Seems like it's been helping so far... besides, on chest day, I only do benching and then some ab work - my workouts last maybe 40 minutes that day.

Today was the wheeeelz.

Squats
182 x 6
187 x 5

Lunges
111 x 6
116 x 5

Leg Press
220 x 6
225 x 6

Hamstrings
110 x 6
120 x 6

Sitting calve press
132 x 10
132 x 10 (that's it, I'm upping this next time)

Unfortunately, the smith machine is gone, so I can't do standing calve raises. I'm still feeling the ill effects of eating garbage for 3 weeks straight over winter break so I had to drop down the squats by about 10 lbs or thereabouts... oh well, I'll get back up to solid numbers soon.

McIrish
01-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Today I worked out the back (geeeez the gym was full... tons of 'first week back resolution'-ers... can't wait till next Monday/Tuesday when it clears out again).

Deadlifts
199 x 6
209 x 6 (I took it a little easy on these since I had three weeks of garbage food, so though I hit 230 x 5 at home, I dropped these down a little lower to take it easy on the way back in to working out).

BB Rows
111 x 6
116 x 5.99999 (likewise on these)

Weighted pull-ups
body weight + 22 x 6
body weight + 22 x 4
body weight x 6

Arnold presses
40's x 6
45's x 5

One more thing (oh gosh the girl is going to laugh at me for admitting this) - over break, I monstered out a "Chico State Shake" (this thing is a beast). Check out http://www.deepsquatter.com/shake.htm for details, or just google up "TUNA SHAKE OH YEAH BABY." Let me just say this - you are not, in fact, a man at all until you have taken a Chico State to the dooooooome.

KevinStarke
01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I myself see no reason to decline bench if your trying to get stronger. With a good arch your really hitting your lower chest anyway so I make my big money maker exercise heavy flat bench with some heavy dumbell incline afterward. Close grip is also very key.

McIrish
01-13-2006, 07:42 PM
KevinStarke: I dunno, I've always been partial to doing all three of the bench exercises - it's not like I'm wasting a ton of time, I'm in and out in 40 minutes tops anyway. Similarly, I prefer barbell to dumbbell, myself.

Today was the end of the week wrap-up with arms and some direct ab work.

BB Curls
75 x 6
80 x 5

DB Curls
35's x 6
40's x 4

Weighted Dips
body weight + 44 x 6
body weight + 66 x 4 (not baaaaad, gettin there... my goal is to dip with 3 digits... eventually)

Close Grip Bench Press
89 x 6
99 x 6 (this was my first time doing CGBP, so I wasn't sure how much weight to use... also, I wasn't sure how far apart my hands were supposed to go, since my wrists were killing me... any ideas?)

Tricep Cable Pulldown
120 x 6
140 x 6 (I thought the week off back home would've made me a ton weaker here, but it seems I'm basically where I was at before)

DB Shrugs
65's x 12
70's x 12 (I haven't done DB shrugs before, so I'll push this weight up next time)

140 x 20
150 x 15
150 x 15 (haha I'm almost at the point where I can't actually do any more weight on ab cable crunches, because there's nothing holding me down - as soon as I try crunches at 160, I start getting pull up off the ground)

Weight
71.1 kg, or 156.4 (I lost a few pounds over break as I took a three week break from regimented eating... I'll be back and stronger shortly)

KevinStarke
01-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Stick your arms straight up from laying on the bench and thats your grip for close grip. For me thats my index finger being right at the line where the smooth part meets the rough part.

McIrish
01-16-2006, 05:05 PM
KevinStarke: Thanks for the heads up on the CGBP, bro - I'll work that in next time I'm doing tricep work (?).

Today was the chest workout, and the bench is slowly creeping back up.

BB Bench
158 x 6
163 x 3.99999999 (this is the closest I've ever come to achieving a rep and then still failing on it)

BB Decline Bench
148 x 6
153 x 5 1/2

BB Incline
133 x 5
133 x 4.5 (gettin back up there)

Weighted Cable Ab crunches
150 x 15
150 x 15
150 x 15 (ummm... what to do now? I can't actually do any more weight on these since the weight just lifts me off the ground whenever I tack on another 10 lbs... any ideas for how to intensify the ab workout?)

McIrish
01-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Geez, I've never seen a gym more packed than it was tonight - and on top of it, there was someone using (wasting?) one of the Olympic racks... he wasn't even doing curls, however... he was using one of those weights attached to a rope, which is attached to a stick, and you twist the stick until the weight gets lifted all the way up. There was literally zero reason to need to use a squat rack for that.

Anyhow, I did the legs today.

Squats
187 x 6
192 x 5 (not bad, getting back up to the pre-winter break range, and keeping the form tight)

Lunges
116 x 6
121 x 5 (same on these)

Leg Press
225 x 6 (plus whatever the carriage weighs)
230 x 6 (likewise)

Hamstring machine
120 x 6
130 x 4 (argh, I felt like my legs were being ripped off)

Seated Calve Press
137 lbs x 10
137 lbs x 10 (finally got another 5 lbs on there... I was stuck at 132 for the longest time)

Well, all in all, I had a good workout today. I experienced a most unusual phenomenon... either I had a huge hole in my workout shorts or the girls doing the elliptical/bike machine near the squat rack were clearly ogling my derriere as I squatted and lunged. It's like a finely tuned snare drum!!! *whap whap* Aaaaaaaaaand, I'm out.

SpecialK
01-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Geez, I've never seen a gym more packed than it was tonight - and on top of it, there was someone using (wasting?) one of the Olympic racks... he wasn't even doing curls, however... he was using one of those weights attached to a rope, which is attached to a stick, and you twist the stick until the weight gets lifted all the way up. There was literally zero reason to need to use a squat rack for that.

Anyhow, I did the legs today.

Squats
187 x 6
192 x 5 (not bad, getting back up to the pre-winter break range, and keeping the form tight)

Lunges
116 x 6
121 x 5 (same on these)

Leg Press
225 x 6 (plus whatever the carriage weighs)
230 x 6 (likewise)

Hamstring machine
120 x 6
130 x 4 (argh, I felt like my legs were being ripped off)

Seated Calve Press
137 lbs x 10
137 lbs x 10 (finally got another 5 lbs on there... I was stuck at 132 for the longest time)

Well, all in all, I had a good workout today. I experienced a most unusual phenomenon... either I had a huge hole in my workout shorts or the girls doing the elliptical/bike machine near the squat rack were clearly ogling my derriere as I squatted and lunged. It's like a finely tuned snare drum!!! *whap whap* Aaaaaaaaaand, I'm out.

Dude if someone is using the power rack for something that is completely unnecessary, don't be afraid to go up to them and point out that they don't need the rack to do their exercise and could they kindly move because you do. Unless they are a really big dude, although that is unlikely because the big dudes usually use the rack for what it was intended for.

I kicked many a curl-jockey out of the squat rack in Rolfs back in the day.

Oh yea and you must have been imagining that, you aren't THAT big of a squatter... YET... haha

Now go down that chico.

irishred
01-18-2006, 07:10 AM
lookin good my fellow mic...our weights are slightly similar, and by similar I mean you have me beat on next to everything :)

bschatz88
01-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Solid workout bro! Next time some ****er is wasting the rack, get'em out.

McIrish
01-18-2006, 08:14 PM
IrishRed: haha thanks bro, great to see a fellow irishman gettin beastly...hey i looked at your journal, numbers are lookin solid, you'll be swoll in no time. Oh, and hey, if you're going to call me a mic, I'd prefer at LEAST that you preface it with something more colorful, like 'hey irish, you drunken mic,' or 'Hey, Irish, you crazy mic.' :)

BSchatz: haha you know I will man - if I even see another guy doing curls in the rack, I'll punch him right in the face.

I played bball the other day and I got winded quicker than I usually do, so I decided to work some hard cardio back into the routine, so today I just did some sprints (being freaking 5,000 feet up in the mountains doesn't help much, either, as I swear this thin air is killin my running).

Anyhow, I pulled some HIIT and did 4 meager laps around the track (1/2 sprint, 1/2 jog), and I'll keep this up for 2x/week and add a lap each time or each week, depending on how fast I can get back into shape. The plan is to be cleaning dust out of the 6pack with a Q-tip before summer even starts.

SpecialK
01-19-2006, 08:12 AM
IrishRed: haha thanks bro, great to see a fellow irishman gettin beastly...hey i looked at your journal, numbers are lookin solid, you'll be swoll in no time. Oh, and hey, if you're going to call me a mic, I'd prefer at LEAST that you preface it with something more colorful, like 'hey irish, you drunken mic,' or 'Hey, Irish, you crazy mic.' :)

BSchatz: haha you know I will man - if I even see another guy doing curls in the rack, I'll punch him right in the face.

I played bball the other day and I got winded quicker than I usually do, so I decided to work some hard cardio back into the routine, so today I just did some sprints (being freaking 5,000 feet up in the mountains doesn't help much, either, as I swear this thin air is killin my running).

Anyhow, I pulled some HIIT and did 4 meager laps around the track (1/2 sprint, 1/2 jog), and I'll keep this up for 2x/week and add a lap each time or each week, depending on how fast I can get back into shape. The plan is to be cleaning dust out of the 6pack with a Q-tip before summer even starts.

Cleaning dust out with a Qtip? Are you giving up on bulking already?

McIrish
01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
SpecialK: First, K, nah - I haven't given up on bulking, I'm just trying to bulk and minimize fat (and I figure the cardio is good for me either way - it'll burn off whatever fat I have plus its good for the ticker). Second, what the mo is that bird thing?

Today was the back workout... my hands are KILLING me right now. I think I might buy a brick of chalk since they get all slippery when I'm lifting heavy things and putting them back down.

Deadlifts
212 x 6
224 x 6 (yeahhhh back to almost as high as I've ever had, PR here I coooome)

BB rows
116 x 6
121 x 4 (booyah)

Pull-ups
BW + 22 x 6
BW + 22 x 5
body weight x 8

Arnolds (I had some extra time and I'm not sure what else I could do on my back workout day... ideas?)
45's x 6
50's x 3

At any rate, today's workout felt really good and managed to lift me out of a small afternoon funk. Honestly, I feel probably 10x better every time I go for a run or lift some weights whenever I feel a little funk-y. I think part of it is the weather - as of late, it's been REALLY cloudy and cold out here and I'm counting down the days until I get to head back to visit the wifey and a bunch of my college buddies. As of right now, it's about thirty or so... tooooo many.

McIrish
01-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Tonight was end-of-the-week arm workout... all in all, it was a nice one. I'm a fairly skinny guy so I love it when I load up a dip belt with 50+ lbs and work in with some guy who's telling his buddy all of his secret weightlifting techniques (including benching 4x/week and dipping the other days). At any rate, I'm still trying to bulk slowly... but I think I might add more calories at some point soon, since I'm not seeing the best results ever (my weight stays near the same, though paradoxically my lifts are all still going up... what gives?)

BB Curls
80 x 6
85 x 3 (but I cheated that last one, oops)

DB Curls
35's x 6
40's x 5

Weighted dips
body weight + 66 lbs x 6
body weight + 66 lbs x 4
body weight x 15 (I was just doing these to see if I could do ten easily... heck after that 66 off I felt like I was doing these underwater or something, it was so easy - next week we're up to 71 lbs for sure)

Close-grip Bench Press (thanks go out here to KevinStarke, who gave me the correct form on these beasts... my wrists thank you, they were killing me last time)
100 x 6
110 x 6 (still finding out how much weight I should be doing on these... next time I'll probably try 115/115)

Tricep cable pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6 (for sure upping this to 140/150 next week)

DB Shrugs (I was lazy and didn't feel like loading up a barbell)
70's x 12
75's x 12

Weighted Ab cable crunches
150 x 15
150 x 15
160 x 10 (though I think that it wasn't ACTUALLY 160 lbs - the pulley must've made it lighter or something, since I wasn't actually lifted off of my legs with that much weight, which *should* happen since I'm < 160 lbs).

Anyhow, I weighed myself afterwards. Maybe it's water or something but I've apparently LOST weight since last week? 70.8 kg (155.8 lbs). :scratch:

Anyhow, hope you all have nice weekends! Looks like I'm going to stay in and study tonight, wahooooo.

KevinStarke
01-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Np bud, close grips are a much loved exercise once your wrists are happy.

bschatz88
01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Some solid looking workouts bro. Fine work with the BB row pr as well as the new CGBP form.

SpecialK
01-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Yes, you need to add some cals (200-300 at a time) if you aren't gaining any weight. Give it a month and see what happens before you raise it again. How many are you eating now?

Also about what % of your cals is protein, carbs, and fats right now?

Your strength is still going up because of n00b gains. When you first start you can make quick increases in strength even if you aren't gaining any weight.

McIrish
01-21-2006, 09:05 PM
KevinStarke, BSchatz: thanks guys, great to see your support. keep up bein beasts

SpecialK: well im doin about 3000 cals with roughly 20% fat, 40% protein and 40% carb, if fitday is to be believed. it fluctuates daily but it averages out around there... and i WAS gaining weight before on the same amt of calories, what gives i think i need my own scale before i can decide. thanks for the support bro i really appreciate it

McIrish
01-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Geez, I think I'll switch from doing the chest on Mondays to doing it Tuesdays instead. It seems the rest of the free world works out their chest on Monday nights.

BB Bench
158 x 6
163 x 3.5 (no progress here, if this doesn't go up for another week I might just up those cals)

Decline
153 x 5.5 (up 5 lbs from last week)
158 x 5.5 (not bad, minor progress is still progress)

Incline
133 x 6 (up a rep, yay)
133 x 4.5 (I think I'll try 133/138 next time, hopefully I'll get 4 reps on the latter)

150 x 15
150 x 15
160 x 15 (this intrigues me... the weight doesn't lift me off the ground as it should... oh well)

here's the poll of the day : if you're spotting for someone and he's just doing it WAYYYYY wrong (but somehow still very vocally thinks he's doing it perfect... odd how those go together?), do you stop and tell him? I've spotted for people who use their chest like a trampoline to bounce the weight back and I feel like I should have mentioned that a ribcage isn't meant to bounce back and forth like that, but I kept my piece since I thought it imprudent. Thoughts?

SpecialK
01-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Keep your mouth shut. That's my policy when it comes to anything related to diet or working out. Most people just don't want to hear the truth. When they ask for 'advice', what they are really asking is for you to validate what they are already doing.

clvmike19
01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
I usually keep to myself at the gym, unless someone asks me for help. Best way to go about it...looks like youre very close to me in weight/size...good work man. Ill be stopping by this journal...check out my pathetic numbers if youd like...and EAT BIG! :D

McIrish
01-24-2006, 07:59 PM
SpecialK: Yeah, that's what I end up doign most of the time.... I don't like getting in discussions with people about why I feel like benching 6x a week (but taking that last crucial day off) is possibly bad for them.

Mike: Hell yeah, great to see you around these parts, bro. I'll be checkin up on your journal to see that you're gettin that lazy irish arse back in the gym after this little break! Haha.

Today was teh wheeeeelz0rs.

Squats
192 x 6
197 x 3 (alright, I could've honestly had 4 or 5, but I asked for a spotter beforehand... so basically in the MIDDLE of my first rep, this kid comes over and positions himself ON TOP of me and goes down with me on the squat... mind you, he had his hands ON my chest and I honestly felt like a girl at a club getting grinded on by some dude she doesn't know. Ladies, you've got my sympathy) :mad:

Lunges (said doofus took the bar when I went to get a drink of water and I didn't want to work in for fear of what he'd come out with next, so I did dumbbell lunges for this week :mad: :mad: )
50's x 6
55's x 4 (my grip failed me booo)

Leg press (finally, at least some improvement here)
230 + carriage x 6
235 + carriage x 5 (thats a steady 5lbs/week)

Hamstring machine
120 x 6
130 x 6 (nice, up two reps)

Calve press
62.5 kg x 10
62.5 kg x 10 (I'll up this next week)

I weighed myself afterwards for kicks and I'm mysteriously down to 69.5 kg (153 lbs) :omg: holy malnutrition batman, that's not enough calories to grow bigger! I don't trust this unholy demon of a scale, though - mayhaps it's time to suck it up and purchase my own.

clvmike19
01-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Eats! You're in Cali and use metric weights? Or am I reading it wrong?

Try upping your cals about 500/day. That should give the extra boost you need to get over teh hump! Do it...or my cripple shoulder ass will pass you by shoveling tuna down my throat! :D

Good leg day man...Lunges work wonders. Consider keeping them/adding them to your leg day...

McIrish
01-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Mike: Actually, the gym where I'm currently at is still stuck solidly in the dark ages and uses weights that were invented prior to the discovery of such useful things as Euclidean geometry and the pound as a measuring unit. Soooo sometimes, I'll leave things written in kg's (mostly for my benefit, so I know exactly without thinking for a few seconds exactly what I need to put on next week... this is the case with calve raises), otherwise I'll do the mental translation and leave everything in pounds.

Today = no lifting. I went for a run (as per my usual Wednesday routine) and housed out 5 solid laps (just under a mile) of roughly half a lap sprint/half a lap job, lather rinse repeat. It's not much, but it's one more than last week, so I figure if I keep up at this pace (which will get beatingly difficult in short order), I'll be able to munch munch munch to my heart's content and not worry about putting on fat. I just ate an entire crop of yams and a freakish gargantuan mutant of a chicken for dinner. Mmmmmmm. :p Yams have quickly become my go-to food of choice - man, boil those beasts in hot water for like 10-15 minutes, take 'em out and put a little honey on top with some crushed pecans? Geez.

SpecialK
01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Mike: Actually, the gym where I'm currently at is still stuck solidly in the dark ages and uses weights that were invented prior to the discovery of such useful things as Euclidean geometry and the pound as a measuring unit. Soooo sometimes, I'll leave things written in kg's (mostly for my benefit, so I know exactly without thinking for a few seconds exactly what I need to put on next week... this is the case with calve raises), otherwise I'll do the mental translation and leave everything in pounds.

Today = no lifting. I went for a run (as per my usual Wednesday routine) and housed out 5 solid laps (just under a mile) of roughly half a lap sprint/half a lap job, lather rinse repeat. It's not much, but it's one more than last week, so I figure if I keep up at this pace (which will get beatingly difficult in short order), I'll be able to munch munch munch to my heart's content and not worry about putting on fat. I just ate an entire crop of yams and a freakish gargantuan mutant of a chicken for dinner. Mmmmmmm. :p Yams have quickly become my go-to food of choice - man, boil those beasts in hot water for like 10-15 minutes, take 'em out and put a little honey on top with some crushed pecans? Geez.

Cardio's good for your heart no doubt, but don't think that it's a protection against gaining fat. Cardio burns calories - some of them may come from fat, but they could very well also come from cals that would have been used to build muscle. You can obviously eat more if you are doing cardio, but it's not like a safeguard against fat gain or anything.

The fact of the matter is, building muscle requires being in a caloric surplus. Fat gain also occurs when you are in a caloric surplus. The ratio of these two will depend on genetics, your experience level, how much of a surplus you are in, drugs, and probably a billion other factors, but the bottom line is, it's damn near impossible for a normal person of average genetics to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, unless they are very inexperienced to all of this and were overweight to begin with.

McIrish
01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Kev, you're always such a downer... haha. So I might not have the best genetics in the world or I'd be 6'6'' and beastly large, but as it is, I'm a mere 5'9'', 155 lbs, and I figure the running is a) good for the heart and b) can't hurt me. I know gaining ultimately means putting on some fat, but I can at least minimize fat (at the cost of slowing down muscle growth). But I'm comfortable with that - I didn't begin this elaborate experiment in transforming my body just to get larger at no cost, I guess.

Your job is just to keep telling me to eat more. Haha. And to be the only kid messed up enough to nugget a 'chico state' with me - hey any of the rest of you reading this, I'm issuing a CHALLENGE right now. Go drink a tuna/OJ post-workout shake. Now.

Built
01-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Honestly, I think you're better off not overeating than overeating and running off the excess.

I got up to 170 lbs running 10k 3x a week. I got LEAN with diet and lifting.

clvmike19
01-25-2006, 08:41 PM
5'9 155- built like a true irishman! :D

If I come in here and see you lifting "20 stone" its over. Keep up the good work man. Doing some running here and there cant hurt, just eat like the monster you want to be.

McIrish
01-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Built - Yeah, actually, I agree - when I say that I'm pushing the calories up along with running a little more, I don't mean I'm going crazy on the cals... actually, they're still hovering about 3,000/day, depending, which has so far given me roughly a little under a lb of gain per week. I'll re-evaluate this if I see any marked change (drastically slower gains, etc.).

Mike - Haha, yeah bro, I can't escape what the genes have in store for me... and that is a 5'9 (and ALMOST 5'10 booyah) frame. My dad is 6'0 but apparently my mom's genes wrecked me. Boo.

Today was the back workout. I'm so close to romping through all my own personal records. Roar.

Deadlifts
224 x 6
229 x 6 (niiiiiiice, my record is 230... my hands get so slippery on this one, grip always gives out first)

BB Rows (no changes here)
116 x 6
121 x 4

Pull-ups (again, no changes here)
BW + 22 x 6
BW + 22 x 5
BW x 8

There was a throng of curl jockeys wasting the dumbbells so I elected to substitute a military press machine for arnolds (I was also in a bit of a rush).

weird machine
160 x 6
170 x 5 (hmmm, only goes up to 200... I don't think I'll be using the machine again, I'll stick with free weights for presses, etc.)

I weighed myself afterwards, but I'm leery about this infernal contraption. Apparently, I'm back up to 71.2 kg this week, which is 156.6... gotta buy my own scale! arrr.

I did a little lifting introspection today after one of my best buddies is considering his own motivation for doing this entire lifting trip. I came to the following - sure, I'm not a monster, and I can't bench 300 lbs or squat 500, but I'm pretty stoked with how far I've come since I started, and I like the lifestyle. Also, it helps me stay healthy both in body and mind, since sometimes I need a release or I feel like I'll go insane at school. On top of that, three weeks till I see the love of my life again (haha you know its serious when your mother starts asking when you're taking the proverbial plunge), so I have even more motivation to keep the figure I'm (gradually) getting.

Built
01-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Nothing wrong with 5'9" - you're still taller than me. ;)

clvmike19
01-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Do it for you good man, and appreciation from others will follow. Good workout!

My dad is 6'0'' and mom is 4'11'' so Im right in between...

McIrish
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
1/30 Monday

Geez, there was a line that took me twenty minutes to get into the gym today. Despite the fact that this university has 30,000 students, we have ONE gym for student use. Yep, thanks guys.

On a plus note, my protein powder finally arrived today - I had ordered far too late and was without for about a week or thereabouts… back to delicious protein-shake breakfasts, mmm.

Today was the chest day.

BB Bench
163 x 5
168 x 2.5 (well, it appears I upped the weight by 5 lbs a little too preemptively on this one… oh well, I can work at this heavier weight for now and get another rep or so per week)

BB Decline
153 x 6
158 x 3.9999999 (not bad, up 5 lbs from last week)

BB Incline (no progress here)
133 x 5.99999999
133 x 4.5

Abs
150 x 15
160 x 15
160 x 15

Afterwards, some guy was loudly explaining to his friend just how he got such “shredded obliques” - his secret? “Tons of these weighted side bends, bro… they’re killer.” Guys! I don’t know if the majority of you knew this - side bends…. THEY’RE KILLER!

clvmike19
01-31-2006, 09:03 PM
The obvious response to that outburst would be as follows:

Sneek up behind the jackball...and with a knife, razor, or any other sharp object cut his throat to keep from exclaiming anything else. Watch with amusement as the irony of his final words "Theyre killer!" sink in among his equally dimwitted friends.

McIrish
01-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Mike: Haha, I can see it now... N003 #1: "Dude, look at my shredded obliques" Me : *PUNCH IN THE FACE* "Oh, you just got punked!"

Heh, in general I have no problem with misinformed people. My only concern is when they feel this obligation to share their enlightenment with the rest of the world, as if I cared to know how he ended up with "shredded obliques" (for the reference, they weren't even that impressive for a skinny guy). C'est la vie. I just don't like people bragging about how smart they are in general, I s'pose.

Anyhow, today was the wheelz. I'm one step closer to dunking that bball, I swear it.

Squats
192 x 6
197 x 4 (up one rep from last week without Captain Abysmal spotting me)

Lunges
121 x 6
126 x 5 (these were just flowing, that was a great increase from last week)

Leg Press
231 + carriage x 6
236 + carriage x 6 (thanks, metric system)

Hamstrings
130 x 6
140 x 6 (roar, another 10 lb up from last week)

Seated calve press
62.5 kg x 10
62.5 kg x 10 (I should up this, I think I could squeeze at least 8 reps out of 65 kg)

All in all, another great workout. I tihnk I'll defy my skinny chicken legs yet.

McIrish
02-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Today I managed to hit the gym and get a run in for a little bit. I upped it to 6 laps (probably just over a mile) of alternate sprinting and jogging.

I do have a funny story, though. While I'm running, all of a sudden I'm surrounded by a horde of large, sweaty, shirtless men - it appears the university rugby team showed up and had practice. I silently bemoan my bad luck and secretly say "Man, why the RUGBY team of all teams? Why couldn't it have been the university girls' soccer team?" ...

...all of a sudden, the guy's melt away to their practice, and after two seconds of peace and quiet, I'm *SURROUNDED* by a throng of short blonde girls swarming around me... all wearing HIGH SCHOOL varsity soccer t-shirts.

Ever tried sprinting through a group of jogging 17-year old girls on a small track? I caught about 7 elbows in the abs.

McIrish
02-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Today was the back day. This was without a doubt the most monstrous I've EVER felt while lifting.

Deadlifts
229 x 6
234 x 6 (booyah - that's a lifetime personal record for deadlifts...these flew up off the ground, I probably could have done another 10 lbs at LEAST)

BB Rows
116 x 6
121 x 6 (alriiiiight, up two reps)

Pull-ups
body weight + 22 x 6
body weight + 22 x 6 (booyah, another PR)
body weight x 9

Military press machine (alright, I was really just wasting time at the end since I'd shattered so many of my own records, I didn't really want to leave)
170 x 6
180 x 4 (the machine only goes up to 200, so I'll be stacking it by the end of the month, harrrr)

Hmmm, but as of yet I have not purchased my own scale... the gym says that I weigh in at a staggeringly low 60.7 kg, or 155.5, which can't actually make sense, since ALL my lifts are going up and I've been eating like a grizzly bear. What gives? Time to buy a scale, no lie.

KevinStarke
02-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Hell yah man PR's all over nice pulling!

Mik
02-04-2006, 01:23 PM
PRs all around. You're one stong mick! ;)

clvmike19
02-05-2006, 12:31 PM
God listened to your prayer. Be thankful...you shouldve hooked up with 4/7 of the blonde soccer hos.

Nice pullin you Irishman! :D

McIrish
02-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Kev, Mik, Mike: Haha thanks you crazy Mics, it's nice to see you all around these parts and it's great to have your support.

Today was the bench day, though I must have had some bad sleep last night or something because my bench did kinda awful today. Grrrr. I'm sold, it's time to up the calories by like 200/day or so starting now. I think it might've been a lack of warming up enough, though, because the decline and incline were doing alright.

BB Bench
163 x 3.5 (and I'd had 5 last week, arrr)
163 x 2.5 (and I'd had 168 x 2.5 last week, booo)

BB Decline
153 x 6
158 x 4.5 (up a rep)

BB Incline
133 x 4.5 (down from 5 reps to 4.5 reps)
133 x 4.5 (a pretty solid guy showed me a better form on this so I was able to squeeze out 4.5 reps again and almost had the 5th... glad to finally have good form here)

Weighted Ab cable crunches
150 x 15
160 x 15
160 x 15 (not bad, the abs are gettin a good workout)

Well, all in all a kinda disappointing workout... my bench is stuck, boo. Time to up the cals, I think. The deads and squats on other days are still going well... but bench, boo.

clvmike19
02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
You can always have an off day for a number of reasons. If it keeps up, up those cals/protein.

Incline bench is my enemy, but they are good for you. Keep pushin....Mick.

Mik
02-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Bench is my nemesis.

Guinness before benching helps. :)

KevinStarke
02-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Benching takes time, lookin strong man keep at it.

SpecialK
02-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Dude the answer is always "Up the cals..." What are you up to now, 2800? Haha, j/k, but seriously, you must have a crazy metabolism to still not be gaining weight. I'd up it by like 400 if I were you.

McIrish
02-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Mike - damn man I saw some of your old #'s... 180 on bench for 10? I'm impressed man, keep it up now and you'll be throwin that stuff down again in no time. What happened to the ubiquitous rejection report, that shiz was hilarious

Mik - Guinness is the only supplement I take - I'm pretty sure that Ahnald himself recommends it. I find it's most effective when consumed after working out... on an empty stomach.

KevinS - thanks for the kind words bro, I'm just gonna go there week after week and put that bar on the rack, and I have one of two options... sack up and lift it off my chest, or slowly suffocate.

SpecialK - dude I can't help it if I'm a skinny Irishman... I upped the cals today with a heaping plate of breezy, that oughta help the buuuuuuuulk

So after a lackluster performance yesterday I got super pissed and psyched up - I even ate a frisbee. Then I hit the wheelz hard.

Squats
192 x 6
199 x 5 (not baaaad, I think 205 is my lifetime personal record and I was probably 5-10 lbs heavier then)

Lunges
126 x 6
133 x 4 (FINALLY. That's 1 pps, took me long enough)

Leg Press
235 + carriage x 6
240 + carriage x 6 (for those counting, that's just shy of 3pps... sloooowly gettin there)

Hamstring machine
140 x 6
150 x 6 (roar)

Seated calve press
62.5 kg x 10
62.5 kg x 10 (no progress here... I still have skinny Irishman calves)

Well, I felt more monstrous today - I was filled with an intense fury and that helped me get that weight up there.

So, I failed a dance test (I'm taking intro to ballroom dance to learn how at some point in my life) the other day. I mean failed miserably. I saw the videotaped performance today in all of it's agonizing glory. I am apparently blessed with not only two left feet but two wooden legs to attach to them... so anyhow, I had to meet with my partner today for tomorrow's dancing competition (right, a dancing competition? Since this IS the whitest college I've ever seen, think "You Got Served" meets the Brady Bunch), and she's like "Wow, we have a lot of work to do."

Did I take one look at her thighs and tell her "Wow, we have a lot of work to do?" No, I took it in stride and sucked it up at dancing the waltz for another hour... but I swear to you, by tomorrow night, I'm going to be a freaking waltz machine and I'm going to serve my teacher AND my picky priss of a dancing partner. I'll hook up a sweet report of exactly how much I p0wn3d the dancing world later on.

clvmike19
02-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Yeah man, dug up some of my old material? :D I used to pwnd teh b3nch!@
I dont remember the rejection reports, Ill have to look it up, or maybe you can paste one in my journal.

Nice leg day man. Keep pounding the squats they work wonders for gaining teh weight. Leg day is key for strength.

As for dancing. We usually go swing dancing on thursday nights. Ill dance once in awhile, but Im pretty shy about asking girls to dance. I feel like a lame ass because I only know a few steps, spin, etc. But its fun to watch and try once in awhile. I never tried ballroom dancing, but it might be very cool. Getting and keeping rhythm can be pretty daunting.
Tell your little dancing girls, if you can last 20 mins out on the dancefloor, she owes you 20 mins in the..........nevermind.

Mik
02-08-2006, 07:02 AM
So after a lackluster performance yesterday I got super pissed and psyched up - I even ate a frisbee. Then I hit the wheelz hard.

LOL! Permission to quote?

Nice leg day Irish. Grats on the PRs.

McIrish
02-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Mik - haha quote away brother.

Mike - dude, see below... I totally just p0wn3d on the dance floor tonight. I'm impressed, though... I can only do waltz and merengue (I lived in the Dominican Republic for a while before and that's the thing to do), but the only thing I can "swing" is a bat.

Well, though technically I didn't actually work out today, I had to write about the night anyway because it was such an owning.

So, mind you, I failed my ballroom dance test last week in spectacular fashion - we're talking AWKWARD. We had the dance competition tonight and my partner tells me "You and I have LOTS of work to do" yadda yadda. We practiced a bit yesterday.

Anyhow, suffice it to say that I was stoked enough to hear my # called back after the first round, meaning we were better than roughly 1/2 of our "heat"... then when it got called AGAIN and AGAIN and I find myself in the freaking ballroom dance competition QUARTERfinals (top 32 of 100 or so dancers), I was DARN pleased with my progress. Now, sadly, this story doesn't end with me winning the trophy and coming home to mack on the woman, but heck I'm pretty stoked either way... I mean I came home with some confidence in my artistic ability. Oh, and I see the woman in 8 days, so the mack can wait a week ;)

Hah, during the 3rd round my dancing partner randomly forgets part of the routine and kinda falters and goes "Uhhhh, I don't know where we are!" and I don't miss a beat and I'm like "just keep smiling!" and I basically dragged her along there. Confidence is always better than actual ability, anyhow... if you keep smiling, the rest of the world can't tell that you don't know what the heck you're doin.

Built
02-09-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm impressed! Sadly, I dance like Elaine from Seinfeld. I have GOT to take me some dance lessons one of these days...

McIrish
02-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Built, I'm so serious, you've GOT to try it out sometime! Dancing is most assuredly not "my thing." Dance was one of the top three things I was afraid of doing up until about four hours ago! Take some classes, learn a routine, and do a show!! I felt like a new man afterwards and I can't wait until the next competition. I like having the competitive aspect of it... gives ya even more motivation to get it done and well.

Also, do it with the hubby - it seems like a GREAT way to spend some time together and learning new things can never hurt, right?

Built
02-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Oh, I absolutely intend to take up dancing. I'm thinking next winter, when the weather gets crappy.

And hubby said he'll learn it with me, which is cool. I think it'll be fun for us both - neither of us can dance, and it's something that I've always wished I had the confidence to do.

Mik
02-09-2006, 07:06 AM
I'm impressed! Sadly, I dance like Elaine from Seinfeld. I have GOT to take me some dance lessons one of these days...

HAHA! I always tell my wife the same thing.

clvmike19
02-09-2006, 11:06 AM
If you can ballroom/merengue....then I swear you can swing. Learn the freakin 3 step jitterbug and you're gold!

SpecialK
02-09-2006, 07:46 PM
If you can ballroom/merengue....then I swear you can swing. Learn the freakin 3 step jitterbug and you're gold!

Swing was the first style I ever learned and I had a ton of fun with that. Now tap dancing, that was a completely different thing....

McIrish
02-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Mike - dude that's next, I'm going to swing like it's my job.

Kev - haha ladies and gentleman, this was LITERALLY the only kid in the TAP DANCING recital who could deadlift 400+ lbs. Quite a sight, I guarantee you.

Today I worked the back.

Deadlifts
234 x 6
239 x 6 (so close to hittin the goalllllls)

BB Rows
121 x 6
126 x 3.9999999 (booyah)

Pull-ups (I used a wider grip than normal to try out hitting some different muscles on the curved pull-up bar (not the straight bar))
BW + 22 x 6
BW + 22 x 4 (boooo)
BW x 8

Military press machine
180 x 6
200 x 3 (heh, this was more for ego than anything else... that's the first machine I've ever completed racked... roar)

I weighed myself afterwards and I'm somewhere around 71.1 kg (156.4 lbs), though I don't know if this scale can be believed.

Daaaaaaaaaang, my back is KILLING me right now. I gotta go take a Tylenol or something. Roar.

Mik
02-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Nice rows and DLs Irish! That calls for a Guinness and some potatoes.

clvmike19
02-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Potato diggin mick! :D

Nice weights there man...feeling strong lookin strong.

Now go take a swing class...and be awsome like me.

McIrish
02-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Mike - gulp. Ahhh, Guinness for Strength!

Mik - dude, I just ate an entire crop of pratties. Take THAT, Ireland. Potato famine #2 is on the way.

Today was the end of the week wrap-up - arms and abs, etc.

BB Curls
80 x 6
85 x 3 (up one rep from last time)

DB
35's x 6
40's x 5 (no progress here)

Dips
body weight + 66 x 6
body weight + 66 x 5 (up one rep)

CGBP
109 x 6
114 x 6 (this was easy, I'm still finding the right amount of weight to use)

DB Shrugs
75's x 12
80's x 8 (gosh this was hard)

Ab weighted cable crunches
150 x 15
160 x 15
170 x 10

Aha! Me and the wifey are taking a dancing class this summer (latin, perhaps), so hopefully I'll learn me some salsaaaaaaaa (unfortunately, she is quite curvy, and I am quite incapable of moving my hips independently of the rest of my body).

SpecialK
02-11-2006, 12:21 AM
My goodness, my guinness!

Nice dips, ya dip.

KevinStarke
02-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Balls to the wall with the close grips man rep out 135 you got it in ya

McIrish
02-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Kev - thanks bro, I put my hand up on her hip, when I dip she dip we dip.

KevinStarke - I'm going to monster that out this week bro, I figure I could at LEAST throw up 2-3 reps at 1pps. What seems to be the ratio for other people and their regular bench vs. cgbp? I've never done cgbp before about a month ago.

Well, I didn't actually workout this weekend, since I take the weekends off... I did, however, do some hiit sprinting/running at the gym. Somewhere in the vicinity of just over a mile. Geeeez, I was so hungry about an hour afterwards that I milked a cow dry then I ate it.

clvmike19
02-12-2006, 07:17 PM
I hAet running outside of playing football etc...I think Id puke if I sprinted just for the hell of it...hey ever play raquetball? If your gym has some courts take it up, great sport for speed, reflexes, etc.

McIrish
02-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Mike - dude, I hate sprinting too, it's probably the worst ever... but I *LOVE* having that feeling where I know I could just quit like a little Sally if I wanted to, and the *only* thing keeping me going is willpower. Mind > matter. Afterwards, I just laugh at my quivering legs and say "rest up you little nancies, you're gettin it again in 3 days..."

Today was the benching day - except for a minor oops (ouch, my chest still says it was a major oops), I did some good #'s today.

BB Bench
163 x 5.5 (so I'm back to where I was 2 weeks ago without last week's mysterious slip, nice)
168 x 2.5 (now, mind you, I was capable of powering up #3 and likely #4, but on the way up, I WHAMMED the bar into a peg and it ricocheted downwards and slammed on my chest... hence the "ouch, I appear incapable of lifting this 168 off my chest again," which while disappointing, wasn't the worst thing ever... I know I'll hammer it next week)

BB Decline
158 x 5.5 (not bad, up 1 rep from last week)
163 x 3.5 (that's a PR, most I've ever declined before)

BB Incline
133 x 6
138 x 3.99999 (almost past that last sticking point on this one)

I finished up the afternoon with some good weighted ab work.

Weighted ab crunches
150 x 15
160 x 15
170 x 10 (mind you, this was incredibly difficult, being that I weigh considerably less than 170, so the weight kept lifting me off the ground and I had to focus on keeping my body attached to Mother Earth).

All in all, it was an alright workout today - I'm looking forward to evening out those #'s and getting 6's across the board, rather than the 2's and 3's I have on some of those lifts right now. Fuel for the fire.

Ok, here's another bit of wood for my fire and hA3t for the furnace - haha, my gf's ex (mind you, from like 7 years ago) randomly tells her he's going to hit the gym hard... for what he calls his "wedding night workout" (his plan is to gain 25 lbs of muscle by this coming August). Is 4lbs a month of muscle even possible without gearing up? It just makes me wanna put 200+ lbs on my shoulders tomorrow and squat down to the ground and power it up again like a beast monster and gain it the right way. Roarrrr. Dedication.

clvmike19
02-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I like the way you think my man. It gets things done! Dont worry about the bench mishap. Ive done that before, and it throws everything out of whack for the day.

You could do 200 anyday of the week! You dont need freakin ex's talking to your woman anyhow. Drop a plate on his head. BAM!

offhegoes03
02-13-2006, 09:04 PM
looking good man.. ouch, that sucks about hitting the peg, you alright? Did you have a spot to help you out? One quick question, I thought most people were able to do more weight on decline than flat bench? Not sure, I haven't done decline in a while, so I wouldn't know what type of numbers I could put up on that. Regardless, that looks like it was a solid workout minus hitting the bar on the pegs.

Built
02-13-2006, 09:06 PM
2 pounds a month is possible for a natty male. 4? Wishful thinking.

SpecialK
02-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Nice workout. Speaking of the running, back when I was a runner in high school I would definitely get the so-called "runners high", damn it felt good too. The thing was, I would only get it after a race or an extremely hard practice. Just going out for a jog would never do it. Consequently I have never felt the "runner's high" since high school. Oh well....

Anyway, nice workout. About the gf's ex, I think 4 lbs of muscle/month is HIGHLY unlikely without chemical assistance. Most likely he'll workout out hard without giving his diet a second thought. "Whaaaaatttt... what do ya mean I gotta eat to growwww?" <retarted sophomore/junior voice>

Honestly to stick this lifestyle for a long time, I think you must have a deeper reason for doing it than spring break, a wedding, a reunion, SO, etc. Using those as sources of motivation will almost guarantee you will lose interest sooner or later. Maybe it will work for some people, but ask the people on this site who have been at this lifestyle for years what their motivation is, and I highly doubt any of them will respond with any of the things I mentioned above. To really see results here you have to think in terms of years.

McIrish
02-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Offhegoes - hmm, I don't know man, it seems that I've always had a lower decline than I have on flat bench. This could be a function of the fact that I do flat bench before decline, but I'm not really sure.

Built - haha, thanks for confirming what I thought.

Kev - dude, I know the feeling. I never get 'workout high' or 'runner's high' unless there's some element of competition involved. Then again, you're talking to a guy who got the same feeling from chess tournaments back in the day - CHESSSSSSSSSSS HIGHHHHHHH!

Nothin much interesting today - I hit the gym pretty hard with a little extra motivation, being that it's Valentines Day and I'm stuck alone out in freaking Utah for now. Boooooo.

Haha check THIS out - so a girl in my class gets all excited and shows us all a note she received from a young man she's dating. It says stuff like "I care so much about you, I think the whole world of you, you're the most amazing girl I've ever met," etc., etc., and it's LOADED with similar superlatives. So I say, "Hey, so this guy seems pretty serious... how long have you two been together? A year or two?" Nope. Two dates. My prediction is that they'll be married before summer. Average marriage age in Utah for first marriage? In the range of 22ish. Being that this girl is 21, she's almost over the hill! :scratch:

Squats
199 x 6
204 x 4

Lunges
126 x 6
133 x 5

Leg press
240 + carriage x 6
245 + carriage x 6

Hamstring curl machine
150 x 6
160 x 6

Seated calve press
62.5 kg x 10
65.0 kg x 8
67.5 kg x 6 (I decided to up the weight up a little to see if I couldn't push myself a little further)

clvmike19
02-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Good leg day man. Gettin two hunny on teh bar. I should come out to Utah. Im 23! Id be a married old man by now. :D

McIrish
02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Mikey - dude, it's so serious... I PROMISE you this place is THE best place in America to meet single women. I hate to say it, but it seems girls here are *so* hell-bent on marriage and the domestic life that they get married early and just start the baby factory ASAP. Now, mind you, I'm all for gettin hitched someday, but I've heard *numerous* examples of people dating for 2,3,4 months and then getting married. Utah also has the lowest marriage age in the US - girls are at 21 and change, and guys are around 24, according to the census I read (compared to the national average of 24/26, respectively).

Anyhow, today was the backkkkkkk workout.

Deadlifts
236 x 6
241 x 5 (PRRRR booyah, oh man did I feel like a complete monster after doing this)

BB Rows
121 x 5 (less one rep from last week, more on this later)

Pull-ups
BW + 22 x 6
BW + 22 x 4
Body weight x 8

Anyhow, I kept the workout a bit abbreviated today (and only did one set of BB rows instead of two). I was feeling a little under the weather and my back was kinda hurting, and it seemed I had a little pain in teh groin area for whatever reason (ever had a mysterious pain that feels almost exactly like epidydimitis [euphemistically known as the scourge of high school boys the world over, the nefarious "blueball?"]? It wasn't serious, so I'll just assume it wasn't anything big unless it persists). Soooo, it seemed prudent to take it a little light after the deads (I had the pain actually before the deads, so they didn't cause it). Oh well, I'm going back home this weekend to see the woman so I'll have a long weekend off to recuperate and let everything regrow.

clvmike19
02-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Better not have a long weekend off....:hump: :D

Nice deads man! Like lifting sacks of potatoes off the ground....MICK!

Mik
02-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Nice work on the dead PR mick!

OneBadUnit
02-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion to add some weighted ab work; I did them tonight and love them. Sometimes I get lost in my routine and forget to change it up to shock myself. Got a total different feel tonight, and it felt great; looking forward to moving up in weight. :bow:

GJ on your workouts!!! Keep it up!!

KevinStarke
02-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Hell yah man congrats on the PR.

clvmike19
02-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Where you at?!

clvmike19
02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Prob diggin potatoes! Only 28 days till St. Patricks Day!

McIrish
02-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Mikey, Mik, OneBadUnit, KevinStarke - thanks for the support, bras. I'll be housing up past 250 on deads in no time, roarrr. Hah, Mikey, I was actually visiting the woman back home for the weekend, so there was no time to lift up heavy objects and put them down in there :) I'd rather have this kind of break any time... what good is getting big arms if you have nobody to grab onto them? ;)

After a long weekend off from the lifting, I'm back with a vengeance. Four days of eating whatever was put in front of me took a small toll today, but whatever... I can't understand how I did it before - for the life of me, I can't figure how I just ate whatever and never really gave it any thought. I feel like such garbage now when I fall off the proverbial wagon. Dang.

Today was the chest.

BB Bench
163 x 4 (uhoh, lost a rep here... curse you, regular food)
163 x 3 (I elected to stay at 163 since I'm a weak little Nancy this round)

BB Decline
158 x 5
163 x 4 (no change here)

BB Incline
133 x 6
138 x 5 (roar, I actually put on one rep on this one, due to a tighter form, IMO)

I finished the afternoon with some ab work on weighted crunches, as per usual.

Weighted Ab Crunches
160 x 15
160 x 15
170 x 15 (darn, this is so hard)

All in all, not a bad workout, all things considered. I had a great day otherwise, too, since my professors were basically clamoring to have a little piece o' the Irish. Saint Patrick's day lovin' comes early this year! The other mick here pointed it out ;) - get your green Guinness ready, folks, it's less than a month away!

clvmike19
02-22-2006, 06:21 AM
I know what you mean about eating "different" food now. I got into working out semi-seriously about 3 years ago. I went along for awhile, and ended up slipping. Lost all my weight (almost 20lbs!).

I think now, and I have such a routine down for eating that if I eat something out of the ordinary, my stomach gets all messed up. I would like to drink a little less on teh weekends. I dont drink crazy, but I want to drink less. Having a woman would help ALOT with that....enough about me.

Give it a day and youll be right back into your routine, and prob make a good jump next week. Just start eating more! I agree about having someone else to "enjoy" :D your progress in teh gym. Unfortunately, I havent found that yet. Hows the weight coming along?

/rambling

Mik
02-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Mmmmmm green Guinness!

McIrish
02-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Mikey - hmm, it seems the weights are coming along... in other stuff, I'm worried lately about the woman and whatnot - after she graduates (2007), we're trying to move and end up in the same city (hell, I want to marry the girl), but it's so tough to coordinate two people's different job stuff, especially since she wants to go to Osteopathic schools, and there's a fat total of 18 of those in the US, most of which are in the west. Most of my job opportunities are out east... ugh, what to do? I know I want to marry her - you think just ditch the career for the 4 years while she's in school? Ah man. Lots of praying in my future...

Anyhow, today I got some welcome reprieve from all this worrying stuff at the gym and I hit the legs.

Squats
199 x 6
204 x 4 (no progress here)

Lunges
131 x 6 (up a few lbs from last time, nice)
133 x 4

Leg press
no time today - there were two dudes goofing around and I didn't feel like working onto it.

Hamstring curls
140 x 6
150 x 6 (no progress here)

Seated Calve Press
75 kg x 10
75 kg x 10 (nice, up a few lbs from last time)

All in all, a good workout. My legs are killing me now and I feel the DOMMMMMMMMS will be a'rollin' in tomorrow.

clvmike19
02-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Nice leg day. Very strong leg curls...Im struggling at 110. I hAet when jackballs goof around in teh gym. I also cant stand when big dudes lift, then dont rerack their ****. They just leave in laying there for other people to cleanup. It really tightens my jaws.

As for teh woman. Love>Money. So if you love her that much, I think you can work something out with her. If shes into you as much as youre into her, you'll be fine. Itd be tough taking a hit for 4 years, but it may be worth it. You never know if youll find someone else like her in your life.

Hell you might end up like me. Lonely and wandering from one flakey girl to the next! :D No man wants that.

Mik
02-23-2006, 07:11 AM
As for teh woman. Love>Money. So if you love her that much, I think you can work something out with her. If shes into you as much as youre into her, you'll be fine. Itd be tough taking a hit for 4 years, but it may be worth it. You never know if youll find someone else like her in your life.

Holy crap mikey! When did you become so wise. You've got a tough choice ahead of you but I'm sure your heart will tell you what to do.

Nice leg day Irish. Must be all them taters.

McIrish
02-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Heh, would you look at all these Irish philosophers here... you've got a good point, though. Money and career success is only going to make me so happy - when I'm like 60 or something and not working any more, am I going to want to look back and say, "Wow, I'm glad I made all that money?" Of course I'm not, I'll want to say "look at this amazing woman next to me." Man, if only I could find something that works out both ways - like the ideal would be if I could get a job that's both good for me AND good for the woman (that is to say, it's located in a favorable location and won't move, since she wants to open her own practice).

Either way, I'm sure it'll work out. Just gotta do a lotta praying and introspection and I'll find something.

Oh, wait, this is a weighlifting journal? So I'm taking Thursday evening off this week from lifting and pushing the lifts back a day since I wasn't able to go Monday due to flying all night and I'm going to hit the gym and do some HIIT instead. There's about 10 minutes of hard-core sprinting and jogging ahead of me. Roar.

offhegoes03
02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
looking good, just keep up the good work. A day off here and there isn't bad as long as it doesn't become a habit and turn into a couple days. Whenever I take a couple days off of lifting, I'm always way more eager to get in there and put up some good numbers. Good luck with the problems coordinating the job with the woman.

McIrish
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Chris - yeah, thanks for the support, bro. I'm actually regular like clockwork for taking a break off and then getting back into the gym afterwards. Every 8-10 weeks without fail I take a whole week off just to let the body grow back up again and then I hit the gym hard the week afterwards. It's so hard sitting around for that entire week though - it's like every muscle in me wants to get back.

Anyhow, I did a little HIIT today. Holy high intensity interval training, batman, that was some freaking hard work. I only got 5 laps (bah, I'd had 6 two weeks ago, but I took 2 weeks off from running due to a few scheduling conflicts) and that was a mile or thereabouts in roughly 7 minutes (moderate jog, sprint, moderate jog, sprint, etc.). Well, I feel stiff like a board right now - my legs are absolutely dying. But I feel the heart gettin stronger as we speak.

clvmike19
02-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Cardio is teh d3vil!

McIrish
02-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Cardio makes me thin and scrawny like a girly man!! :swear:

offhegoes03
02-23-2006, 09:09 PM
yeah, I'm actually taking a week long break during march 4th - 11th during my spring break. I'll get some rest and then hit the weights hard again. I know exactly what you mean when you say it's tough staying away from the gym. I hate taking time off, but it's good for the body, so I know I have to do it. Good job on the running. I ran track/xc all through high school and ran some here at college, but I haven't run for a good 3 months. Ha, I'm afraid it'll make me lose the precious pounds I've been trying to put on.

McIrish
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Today was the back workout and every time I do back workouts I feel like a monster afterwards. Roar, small children and foreigners should stay away from me now because I'm about to take out Tokyo.

Deadlifts
241 x 6
246 x 3 (grip slipped first, whoops)

BB Rows
121 x 6
126 x 2.5 (I've decided next week I'm doing 111/116, because I'm afraid I'm cheating far too much on these)

Pull-ups
I decided to try just body weight in lieu of weighted pull-ups.
body weight x 5 x 5 (this wasn't bad, I suppose I should throw a few lbs on there for next time)

Weight
156 (unfortunately, two different scales confirmed this, so boo, yeah, it's definitely time to go over 3000 up to like 3200 or so).

Lat pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6

K.Huget
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Good work on the lat pulldowns and pullups, i've never been able to do them comfortably. Congratulations on the deadlift too, keep it up man.

clvmike19
02-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Screw that 3200 noise...get your ass to 3500 or more!

Nice back day....just think what you could do with teh added fuel.

McIrish
02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Mikey ya mick apparently I'm going to crank up the cals. I'm tired of a stagnating bench, abs be damned! haha.

Today was the end of the week arm workout (though I cut it a little short because of time constraints... thanks for closing at 10:00 p.m., guys)

BB Curls
80 x 6
85 x 3 (boo, nothing new on this one)

DB Curls
35's x 6
40's x 4 (hmmm, lost a rep boo)

CGBP (thanks to KevinStarke for tellin me to sack up and try to rep out 1pps, booyah)
121 x 6
133 x 6 (thats 1 pps if you're using ghetto kilogram plates, MOFOS!)

Tricep Cable pulldown
130 x 6
140 x 6 (same as before, I think it's time to up teh weight on these)

All in all, a good shorter workout. I'll crank it back up to regular length next week when I have more time.

Mik
02-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Damn nice close gripping Irish!

Boom!

clvmike19
02-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Fine work on the CGBP and BB Curls....you shouldve took one of those kilo plates to teh head of whoever wanted to shutdown early.

McIrish
02-26-2006, 05:31 PM
So I reviewed my diet, and it appears that I'm grossly deficient in fiber... All-Bran to the rescue! A simple half cup of this in my two shakes today feels like I swallowed a brillo pad which is slowly scouring my intestines! Thanks, Kelloggs! :thumbup:

SpecialK
02-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Dude if you are taking oats to the dome there's no way you are deficient in fiber, oats have lots of it. Check the nutrition label you dipp.

McIrish
02-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Actually, a brief review of the oat label shows that the 2 cups of oats I consume (at most) per day leave me deficient by about 20% of my daily allotment, if memory serves. So... ALLLLLLL BRAN for teh win!!!11!!!!!1

clvmike19
02-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Fiber? Fiber?

Whats all this fiber talk?

Eat protein dammit! The rest will follow. :D

McIrish
02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Mikey - teh fiber is good for the stomach! Teh g00dz!

I learned a few benching techniques today that I thought I would share with you all.
1) When benching, one should attempt to bounce the bar off of the chest as hard as humanly possible - this makes it easier to heft up the extra weight that you're putting on...
2) speaking of extra weight, put about 15-30 pounds extra on the bar past what you could reasonably even lift for just one rep...
3) ...because you're only going down for half of a rep anyway! if you lower the bar past halfway, you need to ask yourself one question... Why??

Well, I upped the cals to somewhere in the 3200 range. Screw this stagnating bench bidnazz. It is teh suck since I'm still stuck at the same weight that I was at roughly 2 months ago.

BB Bench
163 x 4.5
163 x 2.5 (I was feeling a little weak today due to a little sickness, so these numbers were bound to be lower anyway)

BB Decline (only 1 set because guys had 6 sets between them and I couldn't work in, arrrr)
163 x 4

BB Incline
133 x 6
138 x 4.5 (ehhh, lower by one rep)

Machine flies
100 x 6
110 x 3 (same)

Weighted Ab Cable crunches
160 x 15
160 x 15
170 x 15 (not bad, stomach is stayin strong)

All in all, a kinda disappointing workout because of the stagnating bench - but what with the past few days of extra cals, I think next week I'll finally see some improvement. :clap:

clvmike19
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
If you up your cals/protein then your weights should start bumping up. I had a mediocre day in teh gym as well. Dont worry about it. Just eat like a GD madman! Is that a little hAet I detect about the benching? Or am I reading it wrong?

McIrish
02-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh, I dare say a LITTLE ha3t from weak bench is an understatement... haha I get my ha3t elsewhere, though. I was an RA in my dorm last year as an undergrad and one of my freshman would always get tanked and try to lure my girlfriend back to hook up with him in his dorm room... WHEN I WAS DOWN THE F'ING HALL. Normally, I'm a pretty chill guy and I don't really get wanna-punch-something mad, but honestly, I remember this one time when I felt my cool slipping, and that's something huge for me. I walked down the hall and saw her leaning up against the wall, waiting for me to get back from the water fountain, and he walked over and started leaning in really close to her face and in that instant I felt like I lost all sense of reason... haha, I think ha3t just begins to describe what I felt.

clvmike19
02-27-2006, 10:01 PM
You sound alot like me. Im usually pretty quiet, but deep down teh hAet runs wild at times. Ive come close several times to jumping at someones throat and not letting go. But Ive kept it bottled up, because I dont need the police record.

Thank God Im back in teh gym and there is finally a release. The gym and whiskey....my hAet prime outlets!

I also know how it is to have ahole dudes hitting on your chick all the damn time. In fact thats part of the reason why my chick and I broke up. I didnt trust her enough, and frankly at times she gave me reason to doubt her. Especially with her telling guys she had a bf. Bah! Im getting angry now!

McIrish
02-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Damn, mikey, I hear where you're coming from. I trust my girl explicitly, but I mean she's a goodlooking girl, so I know there are going to be guys hitting on her regardless (hell, I know how guys think... the boyfriend is far away, game onnnnnn). Sooo, that's just more motivation when I need somethin to tap. Werd.

clvmike19
02-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Youre a stronger man than I. Then again she prob doesnt put any doubts in your mind. So yeah, if you have a genuine good girl, youd better hang on to her! They are very few and far between. Trust me.

And when you feel teh hAet building up, take it out in the gym or eat more!

Mik
02-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Mikey - I learned a few benching techniques today that I thought I would share with you all.
1) When benching, one should attempt to bounce the bar off of the chest as hard as humanly possible - this makes it easier to heft up the extra weight that you're putting on...
2) speaking of extra weight, put about 15-30 pounds extra on the bar past what you could reasonably even lift for just one rep...
3) ...because you're only going down for half of a rep anyway! if you lower the bar past halfway, you need to ask yourself one question... Why??

I see you've been lifting at my gym. Thanks for stopping by and chatting! ;)

McIrish
02-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Well, today was a good leg day - I feel like I'll actually maybe need new pants soon... that's good? Yahoo.

Squats
199 x 6
204 x 4

Lunges
133 x 5
133 x 4 (not bad, I'm up to one big boy plate per side finally for reps)

Leg press
242 + carriage x 6
247 + carriage x 6

Hamstring machine
140 x 6
160 x 4 (not bad, I should start at 150 instead of 140)

Seated calve press
65.0 kg x 10
67.5 kg x 10

All in all, a decent workout. I can feel the DOMS a-rollin' in tomorrow and I just know that basketball rim is growing ever closer. Roar.

clvmike19
02-28-2006, 10:09 PM
A slammin, jammin whiteman in no time! :D

Great leg day...gotta love teh leg DOMs. I still feel all jello legged from the gym. Looks like youre feeling a bit better today.

Channel teh hAet!

Mik
03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Mmmmmmm leg doms. Gotta love it. Nice work Mick!

McIrish
03-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Arghhhhhhhh, fasting! I'm being a good Catholic today and I've eaten two small meals (I figure a shake constituted a small meal) and I'll eat one dinner tonight (sans meat). Screw working out, I have no energy to lift up anything heavier than my backpack.

midee1
03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Arghhhhhhhh, fasting! I'm being a good Catholic today and I've eaten two small meals (I figure a shake constituted a small meal) and I'll eat one dinner tonight (sans meat). Screw working out, I have no energy to lift up anything heavier than my backpack.

I thought being catholic meant that you could do as you want then ask for repentance later.:hide:

clvmike19
03-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Thats the deal! :D

I wasnt a good Catholic today...I ate some of a pepperoni/mushroom pizza.

I was hungry....

McIrish
03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I thought being catholic meant that you could do as you want then ask for repentance later.:hide:

HAHAHAHA. I think the phrase is "/p0wn3d."

Ohhh, how true... the rest of my family is CEO Catholics (Christmas, Easter, One other time...death/marriage, usually... funny how those are so similar, harrrr :rolleyes: ) but I try to be a better Catholic than that. Soooo, anyhow, I'll be fasting today and then abstaining from delicious turkey and chicken every Friday during Lent. I gave up television, too, in an effort to hit the books a little harder.

Hahaha Mikey, I looked for a :hellfire-and-damnation: smilie, but the closest I could find is :whip: Pepperoni is the devil's handiwork!! :drooling: TEH TEMPTATION, EET EES TOO STRONG!

I would kill for a freaking steak right now.

clvmike19
03-01-2006, 07:36 PM
To quote Phil Hendrie: Ill be roasting marshmellows on the everlasting bonfire!

I try to be a good catholic too. Im the only who hits church in my family outside of the big holidays (although Ive been teh slack lately). But I try not to worry about them, and just do it to go and be faithful.

That being said....the pepperoni will have me cooking on a spit forever.

McIrish
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Mikey - MARSHMALLOWS? And I get to eat meat during lent and knock the boots with any hot chick I please for the rest of my life? Freakin sign me up! haha

Well, today I felt particularly monstrous (honestly, thanks guys for the advice to increase the cals... I only threw them up by about 300-400/day and I swear I can already feel the difference) so I hit the gym with a vengeance... I think I was just in a freaking awesome mood - I p0wn3d on Italian class today (heh, I speak fluent Spanish, so I felt like I was cheating in class... I go by the "if you don't know a word, just say the Spanish one" method and I'd say it gets me outta sticky situations 7 times out of 10 in the Italian language... at worst, the teacher just thinks I have bad pronunciation). Lucky>good.

Back
Deadlifts
241 x 6
246 x 5 (in honor of my neanderthal ancestors, this deserves a primal roar... that's like lifting up a quarter of a dinosaur.. dinner's served, mofos)

BB Rows
"Ohhhh, look at me, I'm Mr. Curls-a-lot, and I stole your bar! You got punked!"

Hmm... in lieu of causing a row and perhaps gaining a lifetime ban from the campus gymnasium, I elected to substitute lat pull-downs for BB rows for this week. Ah well. He's getting a pink weight to the dome next week if he pulls similar shenanigans, however.

Pull-ups
Body weight + 22 x 6
Body weight + 22 x 4 (not bad, staying constant though the bodyweight is nominally increasing, albeit slowly)
Body weight x 8
Body weight x 6 (wide grip)

Lat Pull-down
140 x 6
150 x 4 (not bad, finally took the weight up a notch)

On top of that, cardihos ABOUNDED at the gym today. Heh, my girl is embarrassed to come working out with me since she feels out of place, but she's got these short little grey booty shorts that are just BAMMMM. They're so hot, I'd do a set of 20 side bends with the pink weights with her just to see them. Baby...are you reading this? I WILL EMASCULATE MYSELF IN FRONT OF MY PEERS, GAINING LIFETIME RIDICULE AND CENSURE, JUST TO CHECK YOU OUT. That's dedication.

McIrish
03-02-2006, 09:39 PM
For dinner tonight, I just mixed a cup of Chili with a can of drained tuna. This will either be my magnum opus or my greatest mistake ever. Only time will tell.

*burp*

Built
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh dear God that sounds... actually that doesn't sound too bad.

McIrish
03-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Built - Hey, I'm proud to say it actually wasn't that bad!! In fact, it's something I will definitely consider throwing together again... tuna is really healthy and gives a nice punch to a normally bland can o' chili (mmmm, meal from a can... can you tell I was uninspired tonight).

clvmike19
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Hahahahaha I love you man! Funny as hell....awsome lifting and eating more helps. I told ya so! And I agree...next week take a pink 5lber to the douches face and ask if he'd like to use your BB again?

clvmike19
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Hahahahaha I love you man! Funny as hell....awsome lifting and eating more helps. I told ya so! And I agree...next week take a pink 5lber to the douches face and ask if he'd like to use your BB again?

midee1
03-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Mikey
On top of that, cardihos ABOUNDED at the gym today. Heh, my girl is embarrassed to come working out with me since she feels out of place, but she's got these short little grey booty shorts that are just BAMMMM. They're so hot, I'd do a set of 20 side bends with the pink weights with her just to see them. Baby...are you reading this? I WILL EMASCULATE MYSELF IN FRONT OF MY PEERS, GAINING LIFETIME RIDICULE AND CENSURE, JUST TO CHECK YOU OUT. That's dedication.

You are obviuosly not married. If you were your masculinity would be in a little pouch in her purse. And you would not have to worry about seeing her in her little shorts till she was damn good and ready.:moon:

*storms off in a huff cause he's been married and goes through that all the time*

Mik
03-03-2006, 07:31 AM
You should write for Hallmark! :)

clvmike19
03-03-2006, 07:34 AM
If I ever get married (I hope I do) itll be different. Im sure of it! Hahahaha this isnt even my journal and Im making proclamations about marriage. But yeah...Ill be teh man till the day Im face down with a daisy in it.

McIrish
03-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Mid - holy crap man, that's the life I get to look forward to?? Actually, to tell you the truth, I'm quite afraid of the whole "I'm not in the mood" thing becoming a common refrain... DAMN. I've waited these past 23 years to get married for sex (1/2 religious 1/2 didn't find a girl right enough to ever overcome the 1/2 religious side) and I'm very very worried that when I finally *CAN* have sex, my wife is going to nto want to as much as me. :swear:

Mik - heh, hallmark for bitter men who aren't getting any. Orrrrr, "married men." Orrrrr, "me in about 3-5 years." :) /p0wn3d

Mikey - haha, yeah, that's what you say NOW, till you find HER. She's perfect in every way, and you love spending time with her, but mysteriously she gradually stops wanting to hook up with you. Weird. You write it off because she's so amazing in every other aspect, and you two just grow more and more comfortable around one another until one day, you're giving your 16 year old son the "birds and the bees" talk when you realize your birds haven't seen bees since the last presidential administration...

...AHHHHHHHH!

Man, just thinking about that makes me want to go back to the gym and get freakishly enormous.

BB Curls
80 x 6
85 x 3 (not bad, up a half rep from last time)

DB Curls
35's x 6
40's x 4 (no progress)

Dips
Body weight + 66 lbs x 6
Body weight + 66 lbs x 5 (not bad, up a rep)
Body weight x 17 (I could've gone for probably 20-23 or so had I more motivation in me)

CGBP
133 x 5
133 x 3 (soooo tired after getting my dip on, had nothing left for these... whoops)

DB Shrugs
75's x 16
80's x 12 (time to up this weight piece)

Weighted ab crunches
160 x 15
160 x 15
170 x 15 (yep, time to up this one, too)

Haha, I got locked out of my apartment from my doofish roommates, so I went to the guy next door and asked if I could climb through his attic into my attic. It got a raised eyebrow, but ten minutes of fumbling through a dark attic and one pair of asbestos-covered pants later, here I am. Suck it, roommates.

offhegoes03
03-03-2006, 08:05 PM
so I went to the guy next door and asked if I could climb through his attic into my attic. It got a raised eyebrow, but ten minutes of fumbling through a dark attic and one pair of asbestos-covered pants later, here I am. Suck it, roommates.

hahah that's hilarious.. anyways, good job on the workouts.

Mik
03-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Roommates are teh suck!

clvmike19
03-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Great workout monstro! Nice BB curls and teh dips. I havent tried to do those yet...now you need to devise teh perfect plan to get back on the roommates.

McIrish
03-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Heh, I suppose it wasn't my roommates' fault that I'm a dip and lost my keys... c'est la vie, nobody's perfect. At least I know how to break into my neighbor's apartment if the ocassion should ever arise ;)

Sooo, after a little weekend of resting, it's back to the lifting of heavy objects. I foolishly took an hour nap before lifting so I was quite groggy at the gym.

Chest/Abs
BB Bench
163 x 5.5 (not bad, up a rep finally... the food is kicking in, mmm - curse my napping, this would've flown up with normal energy)
163 x 2.5 (see above, arrr)

BB Decline
158 x 5.5 (not bad)
163 x 3.5 (hmmm, next week I'll shoot for 6/5 or thereabouts)

Incline
133 x 5.5 (feeling the effects of the ill-advised siesta)
138 x 4.5

Machine fly
100 x 6
100 x 5

160 x 15
170 x 15
170 x 15 (not bad, I finally pushed up the weight on these, too. I figured the key is to do the movement slowly so as to allow the friction between my knee and gym floor to keep me there... otherwise the 170 lbs whisks me off into the air and I always hit my head on the machine, :swear: )

All in all, I was pretty happy with today's workout. I can definitely feel the effect of the extra few hundred calories per day. I feel like I have extra energy already. Roar.

clvmike19
03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Mmmmmmmm extra calories :drooling:

Great bench workin f00...keep at those extra cals and theyll start adding up. Try bumping the numbers up week to week if you can...Nice work on teh inclines as well...I cant even think about doing those. I hAet t3h iNc71n3!!1!!

midee1
03-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Mid - holy crap man, that's the life I get to look forward to?? Actually, to tell you the truth, I'm quite afraid of the whole "I'm not in the mood" thing becoming a common refrain... DAMN. I've waited these past 23 years to get married for sex (1/2 religious 1/2 didn't find a girl right enough to ever overcome the 1/2 religious side) and I'm very very worried that when I finally *CAN* have sex, my wife is going to nto want to as much as me. :swear:

Don't worry it's not that bad. I just like to give my wife a hard time. She keeps up pretty well.:D If not I can always take care of myself.:angel:

Sooo, after a little weekend of resting, it's back to the lifting of heavy objects. I foolishly took an hour nap before lifting so I was quite groggy at the gym.

But remember you grow when you rest.;)

McIrish
03-07-2006, 09:31 PM
mmmm, extra calories make me a happy irishman :strong:

Today was the leg workout.

Squats
199 x 6
204 x 4 (but easier than last week for sure)

Lunges
133 x 6 (finally, one single set of 1pps... roarrrr, I'm a manimal)
133 x 4

Leg press
carriage + 247 x 6
carriage + 252 x 6 (not bad, I'm consistently up 5 lbs/week on this one)

Hamstring machine
150 x 6
160 x 4 (alriiiight, finally pushed myself to take this up another notch, too)

Seated Calve press
65 kg x 10
70 kg x 8 (also, finally making progress on my white chicken-legs... haha)

All in all, I felt like this was a great workout. I'm going to house my own lifetime squat record (210 x 6) in no time... roarrrrr.

clvmike19
03-08-2006, 06:59 AM
6 lbs? You could do it next week. Give it a shot.

Keep eating/lifting you are teh humanimal!

McIrish
03-09-2006, 10:23 PM
ROARRRRRRRRRR that is the same primeval noise my dinosaur-eating neanderthal ancestors made when they hit their deadlift personal record, roarrrr.

Teh back

deadlifts
246 x 6
251 x 4 (and the hands gave out first, I was totally going for personal goal on this one! next week!!!)

BB rows
skipped, the gym was closing at 10 p.m. (grrr, I'm a college student, what are they thinking)

weighted pull-ups
body weight + 22 x 6 (easy)
body weight + 22 x 4.5 (easier than last week)
body weight x 8 (not bad, not bad at all)

Lat pulldown
140 x 6
150 x 4 (hmm, no progress here)

All in all, although my back is in intense amounts of discomfort right now, I am a very proud man. It's a good feeling when you hit a goal. On top of that, I have an international dance competition tomorrow in which I shall be performing the quick-step. Booyah. Too bad I have to wake up at freaking 6:00 a.m. Wish me luck - I'll let ya know when I take home the priiiiiiiize...

SpecialK
03-09-2006, 11:57 PM
ROARRRRRRRRRR that is the same primeval noise my dinosaur-eating neanderthal ancestors made when they hit their deadlift personal record, roarrrr.

Teh back

deadlifts
246 x 6
251 x 4 (and the hands gave out first, I was totally going for personal goal on this one! next week!!!)

BB rows
skipped, the gym was closing at 10 p.m. (grrr, I'm a college student, what are they thinking)

weighted pull-ups
body weight + 22 x 6 (easy)
body weight + 22 x 4.5 (easier than last week)
body weight x 8 (not bad, not bad at all)

Lat pulldown
140 x 6
150 x 4 (hmm, no progress here)

All in all, although my back is in intense amounts of discomfort right now, I am a very proud man. It's a good feeling when you hit a goal. On top of that, I have an international dance competition tomorrow in which I shall be performing the quick-step. Booyah. Too bad I have to wake up at freaking 6:00 a.m. Wish me luck - I'll let ya know when I take home the priiiiiiiize...

If your grip gave out first on deads, you need some chalk. You can buy a big box for like $5. I'm not even halfway through a box I bought in 04.

Mik
03-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Nice leg work man. You must've eaten a frisbee beforehand. :)

clvmike19
03-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Two steppin f00! Good work man....knock'em dead

thejuice
03-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Nice back work, man. I know what you're saying about the gym closing early. Ours is open until midnight, but they often try to kick us out early. I'm all for a 24/7 rec center...

McIrish
03-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Kev - where did you buy your chalk? If it's that cheap, I'll definitely pick some up.

Mik, Mike, Juice - haha, thanks for the support, guys. I figured a good solid frisbee+protein shake would do me good for the dance competition.

Actually, since I had to wake up immediately before my dance competition, I was up at 6 a.m. (after having thrown down a late shake the night before at like 1 a.m.), and I ate a quick shake for breakfast, so I think that messed with my stomach. The ENTIRE dance competition (2 hours on my part) I had abysmal gas the entire time, which I swear was due to changing my eating habits that day. At any rate, I got to the quarterfinals again (top 30 or 70 or so couples), but unfortunately, we couldn't make it any farther than that. Boooo. Apparently, I'm not a quickstepping machine. Booo.

I actually REALLY enjoy competition, so I can definitely see myself continuing to compete in dance stuff in the future. If you would've told me THAT a few years ago, I would have laughed in your face. Then again, I joined the chess team in HS for similar reasons and I was actually pretty solid - mmmm, anything that gets the competitive juices flowin'.

SpecialK
03-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Kev - where did you buy your chalk? If it's that cheap, I'll definitely pick some up.

Mik, Mike, Juice - haha, thanks for the support, guys. I figured a good solid frisbee+protein shake would do me good for the dance competition.

Actually, since I had to wake up immediately before my dance competition, I was up at 6 a.m. (after having thrown down a late shake the night before at like 1 a.m.), and I ate a quick shake for breakfast, so I think that messed with my stomach. The ENTIRE dance competition (2 hours on my part) I had abysmal gas the entire time, which I swear was due to changing my eating habits that day. At any rate, I got to the quarterfinals again (top 30 or 70 or so couples), but unfortunately, we couldn't make it any farther than that. Boooo. Apparently, I'm not a quickstepping machine. Booo.

I actually REALLY enjoy competition, so I can definitely see myself continuing to compete in dance stuff in the future. If you would've told me THAT a few years ago, I would have laughed in your face. Then again, I joined the chess team in HS for similar reasons and I was actually pretty solid - mmmm, anything that gets the competitive juices flowin'.

Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DZK2M/qid=1142109668/sr=8-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3102282-2851002?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3375251

Oh and in case you never check your email, check this link out:

http://www.rahoi.com/2006/03/may-i-take-your-order.php

hilarious...

clvmike19
03-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Chess is 733t!

McIrish
03-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Dude. ALL of you read this right now. Props to SpecialK for showing me this... I was crying so hard when I read it that my roommates thought someone had died.

http://www.rahoi.com/2006/03/may-i-take-your-order.php

clvmike19
03-14-2006, 09:13 PM
You'd better be in Ireland getting ready to celebrate St. Patricks Day!

*booted to page 1*

SpecialK
03-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Leave brown alone for a minute and go workout you dipp.

clvmike19
03-14-2006, 11:40 PM
huh?

clvmike19
03-15-2006, 08:32 AM
?

thejuice
03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
That menu is hilarious... Sometimes I work in a nice, quiet computer lab and I had to stop reading and bookmark it because I was laughing too hard at work...

SpecialK
03-15-2006, 08:35 PM
?

Brown is the nickname we gave his girlfriend, who I believe is visiting him in Utah right now and is the reason he hasn't posted in his journal. I'm just telling him to leave her for 1 hr and go workout;)

clvmike19
03-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Ohhhhhhhh! Well it makes sense now..

McIrish
03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
After much deliberation, I have decided that this whole gaining weight thing is not for me. I liked it better back when I was a lean and mean 131. Sooooo, there will be no more pounding down shakes or huuuuuge deadlifts. From now on, I will concentrate on long cardio sessions every day, with maybe some high rep cables thrown in for good measure. Soon I will be on my way to the ripppppped six pack that has escaped me these past couple years, RRRRAAAAWWRRRR

Edit: I didn't actually write this - it was my buddy SpecialK. But... it is hilarious, so it shall remain. RAWWWR!

offhegoes03
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
nooooo.. i would never go back to being 130 lbs.. i know how you're feeling, but I think it's worth it to bulk a little bit and then you can cut to see the abs again, but at a higher weight. Patience!

McIrish
03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Well, after a long week of resting (it was my Max OT week off, AND the girlfriend came to visit), I'm back in the lifting game. Making out > repping out. Sorry guys.

I don't know how he guessed it (curses!), but I'm sure the above post was courtesy of one SpecialK. It's actually quite funny, so I'll leave it. Abs be damned, I'm going for numbersssssss.

I hit the chest after a well-deserved break. I intentionally lowered the numbers because I'm currently recovering from a nasty sinus infection and I feel weak as a newborn kitten. Meow.

BB Bench
153 x 6
163 x 3.5 (not bad, just at about where I was before)

BB Decline
153 x 6
158 x 4 (aaaand, actually above where I was previously at)

BB Incline
133 x 6
138 x 4 (same as where I was at previously, not bad)

Weighted Ab Crunches
160 x 15
160 x 15
160 x 15 (I kept these light because my back is all stiff from sleeping funny... sickness be damned!)

I'm also weighing in at 157, which is right where I was at before the week. Who knows, though... what with all the water I've lost from sneezing and everything, I probably should be 158. Mayhaps I should invest in a scale? ;)

SpecialK
03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Dude I thought you just said 2 posts up that you were going to cut back down to 131?

EDIT: n/m, I didn't see your edit

clvmike19
03-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Bump those numbers back up next week and take it from there...dont let the cripple arm catch you on teh bench! :D

offhegoes03
03-22-2006, 07:05 AM
hahaha nice one. You hadn't posted any workouts for a while, so I just assumed it was real.. hah, but props to SpecialK

McIrish
03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Dude I thought you just said 2 posts up that you were going to cut back down to 131?

For the record, the lowest I actually ever weighed in at in recent times was just under 140, and that was after severe dehydration in preparation for a boxing tournament weigh-in. I don't remember the last time I was 131... maybe at the ripe age of 9? I was a fatty of a kid (150 at age 10, but I stretched out afterwards! :thumbup:)

McIrish
03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Arrrrgh, week off still hurting my progress. Tonight was hitting the legs.

Squats
199 x 5
199 x 2 (I felt a little twinge, so I stopped short on this one... still a good 5 lbs lower than last week, but I attribute that to this sinus infection more than anything else)

Lunges
133 x 4
133 x 4

Leg Press
I elected to forego the leg press tonight due to time constraints. I have a speech contest tomorrow for which I haven't prepared... and it's not in English! :bang:

Hamstring curl machine
140 x 6
150 x 6

Sitting calve press
60 kg x 10
65 kg x 10

All in all, not a bad workout, everything considered. I'll kick this sickness soon! :indian:

SpecialK
03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I have the perfect thing to say at the end of your speech:

"So, in conclusion, mao mao mao, maoooooo, mao mao, maooooooo mao maooooo, mao mao mao mao, maooooooooo, maoooooo, maooooooo, mao mao maoooooo, mao, mao mao maoooooooooo"

McIrish
03-22-2006, 10:35 PM
K, you fool, if I say that in *conclusion*, what am I going to say in my introduction??

McIrish
03-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Heh, despite having prepared the night before the speech (well, technically the morning of the speech) at 1:30 in the morning, I managed to sneak in 3rd place. Booyah. I got a $10 gift certificate at the campus book store for my troubles... but more importantly, Chinese STREEEEEEEEET CRED!!!!

offhegoes03
03-24-2006, 09:07 AM
and we all know that chinese streeeeeeet cred outweighs anything else known to man

oh yeah, good job on the speech

clvmike19
03-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Especially if youre talking about "Mao". Thatll get you Chinese street cred in a red minute....

/lame history nerd

McIrish
03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
heh, what you don't know is that "mao" also means "cat" and "hair" and "hat" and "a cold," so when K writes that, what he really means is cat hair hat cold hat cat hair hair cat cat hair hair cold cold cat hair cold cat. ohhhh chinese, you're so funny

SpecialK
03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Wait, mao also means 'a cold"? I never knew that. Maooooooooooo

clvmike19
03-24-2006, 08:53 PM
I was thinking more like Mao and the Little Red Book....

McIrish
03-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm so exhausted, what a long week. Tonight I hit the back - sleep is for the weak! There's time for sleep after they bury me 6 feet under, arrrrgh!

I put the weights down a little to compensate for having taken last week off, to ease back in, so to speak.

Deadlifts
241 x 6
246 x 6 (still roar)

BB Rows
121 x 6
121 x 5

Pull-ups
Body Weight + 22 x 5 (boo, lost one!)
body weight + 22 x 4 (boo, lost one!)
body weight x 6 (same!)
wide grip body weight x 4

Lat pull-down
130 x 6
140 x 6

I feel beastly. Now it's back to campus to do some homework on a Friday night. That's a house.

McIrish
03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I was thinking more like Mao and the Little Red Book....

Haha, nice. I'm impressed that you know what it is! Most Americans I talk to are like "darrrr, little red book? Isn't that a Doctor Seuss book?"

Me : :bang:

Actually, last time I was in China, I bought one as a sort of historical relic from a street vendor for 1.25USD (at a gross mark-up, but my time is worth more than saving an additional quarter, ya know? Bartering takes time and time is money, sigh. Though he actually started at roughly $10 USD, so I figure I hit my goal of roughly 1/10 of whatever I'm originally quoted). Mao would be turning in his grave knowing that his words are being used to make money on streets. Yay, capitalism! It's filled with such delightful phraseology as "the United States is a paper tiger" and "down with the capitalist running dogs." Woof.

clvmike19
03-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Im a history minor so I dig all that stuff...I know more about Russian Communism than Chinese, but I do know about Mao and his goings on in China in the late 1940s. Chasing Chang Kai Shek out of the country...proving once again that communism doesnt work. In fact, some of the things Mao did were worse than Stalin. For example, when he was forcing the rural areas of China to basically "self industrialize". They built their own equipment and mini "mills", instead of farming and feeding the country. Famine and death soon followed! Of course I could go into how they rounded up children and basically traded them to different families or forced them to live in communes.....

Huzzah for teh commies!

McIrish
03-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Mikey - heh, a fellow history buff + weightlifting Irishman... go figure :strong: I'm glad to know that someone else out there is as into nerdy Chinese history as I am.

I wasn't able to lift last night (I had to work 7 hours on top of school! teh sux0r!) but I'm back with a vengeance tonight. The bench is FINALLLLLLLLLLY increasing. I'm leaving the cals up in the 3400 range still.

BB Bench
163 x 5
163 x 3.5 (at least the first set went up a rep)

BB Decline
153 x 4 (wtf, lost two reps from last week?)
153 x 4

BB Incline
133 x 6
138 x 3.5 (boo, lost half a rep for whatever reason)

Weighted Cable Ab Crunches
160 x 15
170 x 15
170 x 15

All in all, I'm happy with the workout. Thankfully, the bench is FINALLY increasing. I just have to stick with the cals being up there/add more. We'll see. Roar.

SpecialK
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
I think you need to eat more you dip.