PDA

View Full Version : About how many grams of protein and fat should I be eating?

Invain
10-02-2005, 10:49 AM
I've heard different numbers and percents, and frankly I'm a little confused.

I'm 17, weigh 152, and I'm not sure about my body fat %, but I know it's pretty low, I'm nice and lean.

I threw together what I could remember eating yesterday on fitday.com, just to get a rough estimate on what I was eating on average. It came out to about 3000 calories, 150 grams of fat, 215 grams of carbs, and 195 grams of protein. Is the fat too much or just right? Would 200 grams of protein should be enough for my weight, or should I try to squeeze in more? What about carbs?

spencerjrus
10-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I've heard different numbers and percents, and frankly I'm a little confused.

I'm 17, weigh 152, and I'm not sure about my body fat %, but I know it's pretty low, I'm nice and lean.

I threw together what I could remember eating yesterday on fitday.com, just to get a rough estimate on what I was eating on average. It came out to about 3000 calories, 150 grams of fat, 215 grams of carbs, and 195 grams of protein. Is the fat too much or just right? Would 200 grams of protein should be enough for my weight, or should I try to squeeze in more? What about carbs?

Your fat intake is just fine, I like at least 30-35% of my total cals to come from healthy fats. 195 grams of protein at 152 lbs is also fine, you might want to increase it as you gain weight though. Carbs are also okay, I'm not sure what your diet looks like but your macronutrient ratios look more than acceptable, good luck.

Invain
10-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks, I thought they looked pretty good. My diet's good and healthy, lots of milk, eggs, oats, natural peanut butter, meat, cheese, fruit, etc. No candy/pop/cookies etc. I just wasn't sure about the fat I was taking in. It's less than everything else, and most of it is healthy fat, so I guess I'm good to go.

Built
10-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Don't worry about the ratios.

Go by LBM-dependent dosings:

At least 1.0g protein per pound LBM
at least 0.5g fat per pound LBM

the rest of your calories from whatever combination of P, C and F makes you comfortable.