PDA

View Full Version : Top-end work for raw benchers?

squat it all!
10-02-2005, 10:54 AM
i understand the importance of top-end strength to shirted benching (developed using board press, rack press, close grip, press with bands and/or chains, etc...), as the shirt provides a lot of assistance off the chest. but is it AS important for raw benchers? if not, what's more important? thanks.

Bruise Brubaker
10-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Not as important. What you need is to be a tricep bencher. Then focus on your weakest points, , whatever they are, i.e if triceps then do more triceps work including close grip, if you're too slow yet you're not on your lasts reps, bands and chains work (questionable) and other kind of explosive work, learning to give out all you have at every moment, etc.

PowerManDL
10-02-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd use those movements very sparingly for a raw bencher. Focusing on larger ROM and bottom-end movements is a lot more important.

ericg
10-03-2005, 06:18 AM
I'd use those movements very sparingly for a raw bencher. Focusing on larger ROM and bottom-end movements is a lot more important.

What are some larger ROM/bottom-end movements that would help? I would think DBs would be included to increase ROM?

Buffster
10-04-2005, 04:51 AM
I would suggest you to do these exercises, even as a raw bencher. Nothing is more important for a strong bench than strong tri's and the exercises mentioned above make them strong. Simple as that :)

greetz,
Ron

Hazerboy
10-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Just find where you're sticking point is, and work on that... My bench is still pretty weak, but my sticking point is still a few inches off my chest like most shirt using lifters (At least to my understanding...)

A counter argument would be that a sticking point a few inches off the chest means that you're too slow at the bottom of your ROM, not that your triceps are weak. If this is true then you would need to work your shoulders/chest/explosivenss more. Just try both and see what works best.

PowerManDL
10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
What are some larger ROM/bottom-end movements that would help? I would think DBs would be included to increase ROM?

DBs are a very good choice, yeah.

Wide-grip BP, low board presses, think along those lines.

I would suggest you to do these exercises, even as a raw bencher. Nothing is more important for a strong bench than strong tri's and the exercises mentioned above make them strong. Simple as that.

This is where thinking comes in handy, as opposed to just regurgitating information.

The reason I recommended what I did is that a raw bencher doesn't have a shirt to provide support at the bottom of the lift, which is coincidentally the weak point for every person on Earth that benches without a shirt.

squat it all!
10-05-2005, 06:08 AM

yeah, love the DB presses. what about dips? hits the tri's hard, and forces you to keep the elbows in and a slight arch in the back, similar to proper bench form, no? thoughts on this?

dw06wu
10-05-2005, 10:57 PM
The reason I recommended what I did is that a raw bencher doesn't have a shirt to provide support at the bottom of the lift, which is coincidentally the weak point for every person on Earth that benches without a shirt.

I politely disagree with this statement. I stick about halfway up, therefore I believe a 3 or 4 board press would benefit me to some degree. I'd rather use full ROM skullcrushers or something though.

I do recall reading an article at t-nation that raved about board presses for the triceps in general, whether raw or equipped, but opinions are like a-holes.

Buffster
10-06-2005, 05:24 AM
DBs are a very good choice, yeah.

Wide-grip BP, low board presses, think along those lines.

This is where thinking comes in handy, as opposed to just regurgitating information.

Think whatever you want, IMO triceps are by far the most important aspect of the bench and making them stronger makes your bench stronger.

harv
10-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Curious...does anyone have different "sticking points" between repping and maxing?

When I'm working out / repping, my failure is always ~ 1/2 way up (triceps). However when I max (which I'll admit I rarely do) it's either: 1.) can't get it off the chest or 2.) complete the rep.

Could it be my triceps fatigue quicker?

CarlP
10-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Curious...does anyone have different "sticking points" between repping and maxing?

When I'm working out / repping, my failure is always ~ 1/2 way up (triceps). However when I max (which I'll admit I rarely do) it's either: 1.) can't get it off the chest or 2.) complete the rep.

Could it be my triceps fatigue quicker?

I've never thought about it until now, but I'm the same way.

squat it all!
10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
i think my tri's fatigue first with higher reps, and my chest fatigues first with lower reps. so i guess i have a similar issue as you.

Maki Riddington
10-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Triceps are predominantly fast twitch in nature so when "repping out" chances are they'll fatigue first.