PDA

View Full Version : A Gigantic Problem imo

Pasha
10-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Okay so starting mid next week I have to fast ( it's a religious thing) during the daylight hours. Is it okay to just load up in the mornings and evenings? I dont even know how I'm going to find/make such calorie dense food but w.e.

spencerjrus
10-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I would suggest you get a TON of slow acting proteins (casein) before you start fasting for the day. My best idea would be to treat a day of fasting the same way you would a night of sleep. Your stomach should look pregnant by the time you stop eating for the day, even then, good luck.

Built
10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
You can't drink water either, can you? It's really hard to digest anything without water.

Wow.

This sounds rough.

My thinking is that you might want to load up on fats before sunrise - helps blunt appetite, and they can help the muscle-sparing effort. Also, of course, they're calorie-rich.

ryuage
10-02-2005, 07:30 PM
become nocturnal

ReelBigFish
10-02-2005, 10:18 PM
yeah get a night job and make it so you are up during the hours you can eat. :D other than that bro, I would go w/ what built and spencer said. get some fats and slow digesting proteins early and then when you can eat again, just pile it in like there's no tomorrow.

spencerjrus
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
become nocturnal

I was actually thinking about suggesting that but didnt want to sound like an *******. ;)

Canadian Crippler
10-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Is this Yom Kippur?

Built
10-03-2005, 11:49 AM
I think it's Ramadan. Starts October 5th this year.

Pasha
10-03-2005, 12:27 PM
yea built knows. Okay so Fats, Caseine from Cottage Cheese in the mornings? I get full fast, and fasting actually makes me less hungry. But yea I drink like a gallon of milk and water in the mornings usually when i do this. What sucks is I'm trying to bulk.

Thanks guys. I was really worried wtf I am going to do.

Holto
10-03-2005, 12:38 PM
You'll be okay.

I cite Hakeem Olajuwon as an example. One of the best to ever play NBA ball and he was equally unstoppable while fasting.

I have heard the team helped him by letting him sit out practice.

Bodybuilders have alot to gain by taking two weeks off. It will make you stronger. I would plan time off during this time of year.

Built
10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Ramadan is a month, not two weeks. It ends November 2nd (I think - might be the third).

Holto
10-03-2005, 01:51 PM
I knew that. :)

I have a really rich Bengali friend that bought me lunch everyday for about 2 years.

I'm suggesting he take 2 weeks off *somewhere* during his fast. Perhaps train the first 2 weeks and then start resting.

Built
10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes, the Persian Free Lunch programme is a great perk of having Muslim friends.

I agree - perhaps the second two weeks off would be ideal.

Pasha
10-04-2005, 01:28 PM
should i still suplement/ and should i supplement the Casein? or is a natural source better or both? and should my caloric intake stay at 3500 which is what im around right now?

during the two weeks off i mean.

Built
10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Continue to supplement as usual.

I don't know what you mean by supplement with casein. I eat cottage cheese for the casein. It's food.

Your activity level is going to drop, and you may gain a pound or two if you leave your cals the same.

If this is okay, knock yourself out.

:)

bschatz88
10-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Load up on milk and cottage cheese when you can eat.

tj_muller
10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Yea, do fats. Good fats, of course. Peanuts and such in the mourning. Eat something with fiber too, and digests slow. Broccoli, oatmeal.
When you get again I'd assume you'd need something that absorbs quickly, like whey portein shakes.
Sucks you can't drink water through out the day.. god damn. (no offense)

Teufelhund
10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Maybe you can observe Ramadan as it occurs in another time zone... you know... Like when the sun is up over Mecca.

tj_muller
10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Good idea.

Teufelhund
10-13-2005, 02:12 PM
If I'm out of line here you'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I was looking in Wikipedia at the Ramadan entry...

"If one's condition preventing fasting is only temporary, one must make up for the days missed after the month of Ramadan is over. If one's condition is permanent or present for an extended amount of time, one may make up for the fast by feeding a needy person for every day missed."

As a bodybuilder, you have dietary needs that are inconsistant with fasting. A month of fasting could undo the other 11 months of effort. I know with my metabolism it would. I would go feed the needy people if at all possible. Make a donation to a local homeless shelter, ask them how much it cost to feed one person for a day.

Praetorian
10-15-2005, 01:23 AM
I really doubt that you can ditch Ramadan because you're a 'bodybuilder'. What they are refering to in Wikipedia, is ie travel, sickness etc. And Ramadan isn't about 'feeding other people so I can feel good about myself' (I'm to lazy to explain).

Shao-LiN
10-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Although it is nice to be dedicated to buildig a better body, trying to find ways out of your own religious beliefs is awkward. It's not like he can't eat at all...he just can't eat during daylight hours.

Davidelmo
10-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Maybe you can observe Ramadan as it occurs in another time zone... you know... Like when the sun is up over Mecca.

Good iea... is this possible?

Praetorian
10-16-2005, 05:31 PM
No.

It's between sunrise and sunset where you live. So those living in the Artic regions are pretty much screwed in the summer.

Teufelhund
10-16-2005, 08:55 PM
I really doubt that you can ditch Ramadan because you're a 'bodybuilder'. What they are refering to in Wikipedia, is ie travel, sickness etc. And Ramadan isn't about 'feeding other people so I can feel good about myself' (I'm to lazy to explain).

Well, I guess thats good because I honestly don't really care what its about. I answered seriously in an attempt to help the original poster retain his physique instead of compulsory starvation. Your answer, frankly, comes off as sarcastic and condescending.

I'm not really sure who you're quoting regarding the 'feel good' stuff up there, but it wasn't me. The choice to feed those less fortunate than you was presented in the Wikipedia article as a viable and accepted alternative to fasting. If its wrong, you would think one of the 40 gazillion muslims in the world would have done the world a favor and fixed it by now. It is Wikipedia, after all.

And for what its worth, it is also my firm belief that what a person can and can't do is (or should be) between that person and whatever god they've chosen to believe exists. I highly doubt you have been ordained by his god to make these judgements.

No. It's between sunrise and sunset where you live. So those living in the Artic regions are pretty much screwed in the summer.LOL! I love this! No wonder they strap bombs on and detonate themselves - its a better death than starvation! If I were you, I would seriously rethink any religion that honestly requires you to starve to death if you are near the poles during Ramadan. That seems a little harsh. Couldn't they just cut a foot off or something? I really think you must be exaggerating. You should stop. Its affecting your credibility.

Praetorian
10-16-2005, 09:26 PM
1) I'm sorry if I came off as condescending, it was not my intention. What I was getting at is that BB is not a real valid reason for dropping Ramadan (assuming that you are pretty religious in the first place).

2) I was serious about the sunrise/sunset thing. I'm not sure how they do it in the artic regions where the sun is up 24/7 during summer, but on the other hand, I assume that there arn't that many muslims up there.

3) I have my own religion 'Hasanism' worshipping The Holy Elixir (vodka+grapefruit juice) and the Holy Greek Godess (a really really hot greek chick that was in my senior HS class). And yes, I am the Holy Prophet.

Teufelhund
10-16-2005, 09:35 PM
ROFL!

:bow:I take it all back then. Forgive me oh holy Hasan! Teach me the ways of the holy elixir!