PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Insulin

D Breyer
10-03-2005, 10:37 PM
This semester in school I have health, and for about a month we talk about nutrition. The nutrition unit has just started for us, and our teacher assigns our project at the beginning of the unit.

My project is to write up a paper on insulin. What it is, Where its made, Why the body needs it, etc etc. I've found some sources but what I'm having trouble getting at is answers to one question that personally, I am interested in.

How is insulin related to fat gain/loss?

I figured I might as well ask the experts...
Any sources or explanations are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Drew

Built
10-03-2005, 11:01 PM
I'll get you started: look up "storage hormone", "insulin resistance", and "insulin response" on google. Go to pubmed and look stuff up there.

Insulin is a storage hormone. It shuttles nutrients into your cells. Anything those cells don't accept gets stored as fat. I have only scanty understanding of this process, but the liver is part of this process, and triglyceride production is part of the picture.

I used to have high cholesterol. I brought it down by controlling my carbohydrate consumption.

Another thing about insulin is that it is pro-inflammatory. Look up inflammation research while you're researching insulin. Also heart disease.

Good luck!

D Breyer
10-04-2005, 06:51 AM
thank you built!!!!!!!