PDA

View Full Version : monounsaturated vs. polyunsaturated fats

vegetapower
10-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Ok, I always felt that polyunsaturated (specifically omega 3s) fats were better than monounsaturated fats because of all the health benefits of EPA and DHA but recently I was informed that polyunsaturated fats are mostly bad due their high level of unstability and the fact that they may support plaque formation in the blood arteries. Is this true?

Furthermore I know that EPA & DHA have many health benefits but does ALA have all the same benefits considering that the body makes EPA and DHA from ALA?

Also I always thought fish was the most perferable type of meat due to its fatty acid profile but do fish contain saturated fats as well as polyunsaturated fats?

AzBboy
10-04-2005, 07:17 PM
polyunsaturates raise HDL levels which filter your blood of cholesterol. They do the exact opposite of support plaque formation.

Holto
10-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Conversion of ALA -> DHA is about 7% efficient in men and up to 15% in women.

Women of course have to grow an entire brain and intestinal system while pregnant.

When I take DHA my memory and vision are enhanced, flax oil never really gave me these benefits.

Vegilles
10-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Make sure when you select your polyunsaturated food sources, you are careful to keep in mind the correct ratio [within reason] of Omega 3 fats to Omega 6 fats. A very healthy ratio is 1:2 or 1:3 of Omega 3 to Omega 6. Higher amounts of Omega 6 counteracts the very essential duties Omega 3 fats perform, and also gets into unhealthy territory if Omega 6 consumption is out of proportion. Regarding last question, I provided a link in your other thread.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Monounsaturated fats can help raise your good cholesterol.