PDA

View Full Version : dumb question: is hand chalk same as writing chalk?

jazer80
10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
neither dick's nor champs had chalk, and my gym stopped supplying this. can i just use chalkboard chalk? any places that woudl carry hadn chalk besides mail order?

MixmasterNash
10-04-2005, 11:42 AM
No, they are not the same.

Gym chalk is aka climbing chalk, and is easily purchased at many outdoor stores (and online), such as REI, mountain gear, etc.

Sensei
10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Some sporting goods stores will carry magnesium carbonate (the chalk you want). If you ask they may order it for you if they don't carry it regularly.

Pasha
10-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Some sporting goods stores will carry magnesium carbonate (the chalk you want). If you ask they may order it for you if they don't carry it regularly.
isn't that just burned up magnesium? watching Mg burn is a blinding experience.

Sensei
10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
isn't that just burned up magnesium? watching Mg burn is a blinding experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_carbonate

dw06wu
10-05-2005, 11:00 PM
They have these huge ass blocks of them at REI for 99 cents. I bought four of them like six months ago, and I haven't even gone through half of the first one yet. Granted, I thought I would be using a lot more chalk. I'd say I use it once a week or once every two weeks (maybe like 4 sets per week with the chalk).

jammerz4life
10-10-2005, 08:10 AM
what are the benifits besides you dont sweat
does it help in any other way then not haveing sweaty hands?

Sensei
10-10-2005, 08:51 AM

That pretty much covers it... Are you asking what the benefits of having dry hands/bar are? Less moisture = less slippage, less rippage, and less blistage....

thetopdog
10-10-2005, 10:22 AM

Chalk improves your grip substantially, which is helpful if you're doing exercises like deadlifts or shrugs and your back/traps are stronger than your grip

And classroom chalk helps as well, I've used that before when I didn't have access to the other kind of chalk

jammerz4life
10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
oh ok i knew it had to do with grip but the whole non bluster thing makes since. i use a towel for my barbell workouts.

Chris686
10-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Blisters are for real men :P

I've got calluses so thick on my hands from shrugs and pullups a razor blade won't cut me.

Sensei
10-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Callouses are good. Blisters are not.

jazer80
10-10-2005, 04:47 PM
oh ok i knew it had to do with grip but the whole non bluster thing makes since. i use a towel for my barbell workouts.
i think most people use it for only grip, not for blisters or anything. but who knows. i know most people i see using it, do so because it's a choice between that or wrist wraps when doing things like heavy shrugs or heavy deadlifts (which is the case for me)