PDA

View Full Version : fish have saturated Fats!!!

vegetapower
10-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Do fish really contain saturated fats? I was under the impression that they only contained polyunsaturated fats but maybe I was wrong. If they do contain saturated fats, does anyone have a link that will tell me the amounts of sat fats in different types of fish?

Built
10-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm sure they do.

Natural saturated fats are, of course, very, very good for you.

tigo
10-04-2005, 11:35 PM
its probably not possible since fish come in different sizes and it depends on season and age.. i know that my fish oil pills contain 1 g of saturated and 1 g of polyunsaturated and 0.5g monounsaturated... adn tahts from salmon

Holto
10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Collagen II, ie: Skin is made of sat fat and protein.

All animals have saturated fat.

Does anyone have a link that will tell me the amounts of sat fats in different types of fish?

www.nutritiondata.com

Manveet
10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm sure they do.

Natural saturated fats are, of course, very, very good for you.

*eats a bunch of whole eggs*

Built
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
You betcha.

Whole eggs are a great source of healthy fat.

Mercuryblade
10-05-2005, 03:23 PM
how many g per fat in one jumbo egg

Built
10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
www.fitday.com

it's in there.

Bruise Brubaker
10-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Saturated fat does a body good.
If you only eat healthy foods like lean meats and peanut butter and nuts, you'll find that you're actually lacking some good eggs cooked in good butter.

Vegilles
10-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Do fish really contain saturated fats? I was under the impression that they only contained polyunsaturated fats but maybe I was wrong. If they do contain saturated fats, does anyone have a link that will tell me the amounts of sat fats in different types of fish?

http://www.weightlossforall.com/fat-content-fish.htm

Though I'm a vegetarian I won't argue that animal saturated fat isn't unhealthy... particularly native inuit cultures [blubber], Japanese[fish], etc., but limit the intake.
From a good source;
"Saturated fat plus trans fat intake should not exceed 10 percent of total calories each day for healthy people. Saturated fat should be less than 7 percent of total calories for people with coronary heart disease, diabetes or high LDL cholesterol."

Built
10-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm never sure about how transferrable these figures are to athletes.

I used to have high cholesterol. I'm well aware of standard dietary strategies to bring this down.

They often fail.

But my cholesterol dropped from an all-time high of 6 (when I was 33!) to 3.5 as of this year (41 and a half), and my saturated fat consumption is NOT small.

From fitday, average over the last month: total fat, 80g daily. Saturated fat, 20g daily.

Interestingly, this does in fact work out to about 10% of my total calories...but I've got a few custom foods in fitday that don't account for saturates. I think the amount of saturates is probably closer to 25-30g daily, and I don't count my daily 10g of fish oil in there.

Guess you just have to get tested regularly and see how your body handles the stuff.

I don't like any guildlines for saturates that include trans fats. Naturally saturated fats and artificial trans-fats are two VERY different creatures.

Lite
10-09-2005, 06:29 PM
vegetapower - nuts and olive oil have sat fats too. This link doesn't have all the types of fish (just salmon & herring), but it does list many fat sources and their fat type breakdown. Good info. Scroll down a little more than half way.

All you want to know about Fats (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=02033DF0F630B077DCCA3D7CC7114F4A.hydra?id=644939)

Built
10-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Great link Lite. Berardi's awesome.

lifter4life
10-09-2005, 07:55 PM
good link. ive been surfing that site for a little bit, it has a lot of good info on it

Ti1301
10-15-2005, 02:36 AM
very good link.