PDA

View Full Version : Simple Sugars in the morning

Mercuryblade
10-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Because your blood sugar in the morning is going to be much lower that usual (I can't eat while sleeping, believe me I've tried) I would suspect that its a good idea to mix some simple sugars along with your complex carbs. Anyone back me up on this?

Typical Breakfast for me
1 Bowl of Wheaties with 1% milk and a tablespoon of brown sugar
3-4 eggs depending on hunger level
1 banana

TheGimp
10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Sure. Just after waking your hepatic glycogen levels are severely depleted. Bear in mind however that the protein, the fat content of the eggs (assuming they are whole) and the fibre from the cereal & banana will serve to delay gastric emptying anyway.

AzBboy
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Hmm thats a pretty cool idea mercury, thanks for sharin that. Your right, it only seems to make perfect sense. I think im gonna give that a whirl.

Holto
10-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Because your blood sugar in the morning is going to be much lower that usual

Your body is very good at regulating blood sugar. Sleep is catabolic ie: you are breaking down body tissues to maintain a supply of energy.

A healthy individuals blood sugar levels should only fluctuate slightly above and below baseline. Even after a meal it's not like they shoot up. They are elevated above baseline and then insulin responds. Insulin works on a negative feedback loop. As your blood sugar drops slowly below baseline the pancreas stops releasing insulin.

Someone who tests correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure they are slightly low but it' s not like we all wake up with a headache.

In addition:

Taking simple sugars anytime but post workout will inhibit your bodies ability to regulate blood sugar. Taking a small amount with a solid meal would be the safest way to do this but I would rather see those cals added to your last meal.

Built
10-06-2005, 06:01 PM
I've read arguments for and against simple sugars in the AM.

Personally, I can't handle sweets unless I'm just about to lift, but the best I could suggest to anyone is "try it".

It would just make ME hungry for the whole day. It might not do that to you, and it might not be a bad thing if it did. I just don't need any encouragement to eat MORE! :cry: