PDA

View Full Version : A Little Friendly Competition

Centric
10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Alright, so it's journal time.

So, ksw3153 and I are brand spanking new to the forums. We happen to be in similar situations so we decided to start a little journal in which we can compare results, provide encouragement and perhaps compete a little.
And of course advice anyone can give along the way will be greatly appreciated.

I'll let ksw3153 post his stats but here's my basic info:
I'm 27, 6'1" and as of last week 160lb. I started WBB1 last week and dig it so far. I also do about 20-30 minutes of pretty light cardio twice a week. I'm thinking of changing that to some HIIT but haven't really looked into it yet.
I just started up fitday to get an idea of what my diet is really like. I'm eating 6 small meals a day but they are probably not up to par just yet. I'll get into the details of the diet and my workouts a bit later.

Another thing I need to figure out is a realistic goal weight. I'm thinking 180lb by year end is do-able. Any thoughts?

Alright ksw3153 :windup: , you're on....

rookiebldr
10-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Hey, welcome to journal land. Friendly competition is great so good luck with that. 20lbs is still doable if you're aiming for 2lbs per week. Make sure you keep the calories high based on the stats you've indicated thus far, you may have a high metabolism and thus need to eat very well to keep up those calories. Get the fitday going so you can track your total calories. And again, good luck.

ksw3153
10-05-2005, 08:44 PM
ok, so as he said, here goes the competetion

I'm 19, 6'4", and i've weighed 165 for over a year. I'm on WBB1 as well, and I just started today actually. I'm eating whenever I don't feel full and/or I think about eating, so I eat about 6 times a day. I just got on fitday today, and for the day I'm looking like this:

cals: 3039.5
total fat: 143.72g
protein: 178.65g

I had set a tentative goal of 180, but if he can do 20 lbs, then why cant I?

as of right now, I'm looking for 185 by December 23! (the day my girlfriend comes home, if you don't get it read my intro)

to repeat centric, ALL and ANY advice is greatly appreciated

ksw3153
10-05-2005, 08:46 PM
oh, i almost forgot....

IT'S ON!!! :ninja:

ksw3153
10-05-2005, 08:50 PM
alright, i'm probably coming off as a stalker... only one last post, i promise

just wanted to plug this in: i'm drinking whey protein shakes made w/ whole milk(1-2 a day), and I have creatine monohydrate powder, but i'm not sure if i should add that to one of the shakes every day, or just the days i'm lifting?

ksw3153
10-05-2005, 08:53 PM
alright i lied. i made a mistake on fitday and these are the actual numbers:

cals: 3419.1
total fat: 176.38
protein: 194.78

ksw3153
10-05-2005, 09:03 PM
damn it, another mistake:

cals:4361
fat:204
protein:286

Centric
10-05-2005, 09:31 PM
cals:4361
fat:204
protein:286

Damn, I haven't gotten into the detail of my diet yet but that's some serious calories.
I was reading some threads on creatine and as a result I started mixing about 5g with my morning shake everyday. From everything I read, loading is unnecessary.
And before I forget...damn straight it's on outnumber

ksw3153
10-06-2005, 07:51 AM
From everything I read, loading is unnecessary.

well, i'm proud to report that after day one (day three of WBB1), I can't walk down stairs without using the handrails for considerable help. god, this is fun!

P.S. what's loading?

Centric
10-06-2005, 08:52 AM
well, i'm proud to report that after day one (day three of WBB1), I can't walk down stairs without using the handrails for considerable help. god, this is fun!

P.S. what's loading?

Most directions that come with creatine say to take about 10g daily for about 5 days (load) and then 5g daily after that. But from what people seem to say the loading is a waste and just a way for the manufacturer to sell more.

I know what you mean about the leg workout. Even though it seems short it'll kick yer a$$.
Are you doing the hack squats in a machine or just with a barbell? I've only done them on a machine but I'm thinking of trying them with the barbell next week.

ksw3153
10-06-2005, 09:34 AM
i did the hack squats with a barbell, our machine only goes down to about 18 inches off the ground, so I figure the barbell would make me work harder.

also, i'm assuming this info is wrong, but everything i've ever heard about keeping your back healthy goes against doing the Straight Leg DL's, just wondered if there is anything i should consider there...

HILL
10-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Yeh alot of people think loading isnt needed and there is nothing wrong with having it in a shake. Good luck to the pair of you keep the cals real high

ksw3153
10-06-2005, 09:09 PM
legs recovered well today, i can actually RUN up stairs again! over all, feeling good, its amazing how much energy you get from eating so much! my stomach definately stretched from all the food yesterday, i couldn't go 3-4 hours today w/out feeling like iw as going to die of starvation, but since I had such a busy day, i couldn't eat as much, but my macros are this for the day:

3556 F 194 C 258 P 195

Centric
10-06-2005, 10:36 PM
ksw, when are you doing your workouts, what days and time of the day? I'm lifting Mon, Wed, Fri at the ass-crack of dawn, usually around 5am.

The workout today was just a little cardio, about 20 minutes on the eliplical thing, and some ab work.
Tomorrow morning is shoulders & arms and I'm psyched. I haven't really gone all in yet but I have a feeling that'll change tomorrow.

Today was my first full day of using fitday and here are my numbers.
Calories: 2712
Fat:83 Carbs:277 Protein:220
I'm suprised the calories are as low as they are since I felt like I ate all friggin day. I had no idea I had that much protein today. Crank it up!!
I think I'll switch to whole milk instead of 1% for some more fat & calories.

I weigh myself almost everyday but I think I'll post at least a weekly "official' weight. First one will be tomorrow.

Centric
10-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Shoulders & Arms this morning were great. I can tell I'll be in pain tomorrow :evillaugh

After reading some other peoples journals I'm not so sure I want to post the weights I'm using. Just a little intimidating, but I guess everyone starts somewhere. Ugh, maybe a little later.

My weight this morning was 166.5 which I'm pretty stoked about. So that's 6 pounds in about two weeks. I'll be all sorts of excited if I can keep going at even close to that rate. We shall see.

ksw3153
10-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Alright, I guess it's about time for me to post my weight, I now weight 165, which is up 2 pounds from last time(monday?), but that was with a missed workout(my sister flew in from NYC), so I think I can kick it up to 3 lb/week, and keep up with this guy ^
anyways, yesterday was legs, and I didn't warm up before getting started and tweaked my hammy a little bit, but it's feeling much better today, so I'd like to do legs again with tomorrow's workout and "redo" yesterdays'.

ksw3153
10-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier, Centric, but I'm doing my workouts MWF, in the early afternoon (either noon before my 2:00 class, or @ 3, after my class)

kyle

ksw3153
10-19-2005, 05:27 AM
Weighed in at 166.6 yesterday, and I was thinking yesterday, since I'm going to be about 190 at the end of the year(I jumped up my goal again), how much will my rate of weight gain go down? Will I still be able to pack on 2.5 - 3 pounds a week? I'm sure I won't be able to keep that up for long, but how much will it go down, how fast? Because if I keep gaining even 2 lbs a week until this time next year, I'll weigh over 270! I hope that's not possible, I can't imagine the stretch marks I'd have, although it would be cool.

Centric
10-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Kyle - So I think your rate of weight gain will definitely slow down over time. Law of diminishing returns sort of thing. As you become heavier the amount of calories you need to maintain, let alone gain weight, will increase.

So anyway, I went out of town for a few days and my diet went to hell. I didn't eat all that unhealthy, I just didn't get the calories I should. And because of that my weight went down a tad to 166.5.
Also, earlier this week I tried going to the gym after work, around 5pm, and I hated it. I'm used to going around 5am when there's really nobody there and i just couldn't deal with all the people in the afternoon. So...today I went back to am workouts. Speaking of today, I'll start posting my actual workouts to keep my motivation going...and today was:

(yes, I know these are some really light weights, give me time...)
Warm-ups not noted
LEGS:
Squat - 105x8 105x8
Hack Squat - 1pps
Leg Curl - 90x8 110x8 110x6
SLDL - 135x8 135x8
Calf Raise - 60x10 60x10 60x10

Thoughts:
I read up on squat form a little and i guess I haven't been sitting back enough, I've been going down past parallel but too much weight was on the balls of my feet. I changed that today and the weight felt much easier than before. Time to up it.
I've been doing the hack squat on a machine but I'll switch to the BB next time around.

I'm thinking about trying some caffeein pills in the morning to help me get workout energy a little quicker but I'm worried they'll surpress my appetite like coffee and soda does for me.

Alright, that was way longer than intended. Time to eat. :burger:

Edit: Don't know what I was thinking but Leg day was yesterday, not today.

ksw3153
10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Yeah I figured I wouldn't keep gaining as much weight, I was just hoping for someone that has already done all of this, oh well.

Weighed in at 168 today, gotta jack it up a little bit to make 190 by the end of the year, time to start eating more! :thumbup:

Sidior
10-26-2005, 08:04 PM
gl with your goals guys, this journal looks like it will be interesting

Centric
10-30-2005, 07:02 PM
My weekly weigh-in came in at 169lb which means I've put on zero pounds this week. I'm not really surprised though. I think the problem I'm running into is that I'm trying really hard to eat clean and that's causing me to not eat as much as I should. I guess I need to accept that I'll put on some fat if I'm trying to eat over 3,000 calories a day. I've gotten used to eating 5-6 smaller meals a day, now I just need to grow those meals a little.
The workouts are going well. I can definitly see some strenght gains and a little more muscularity, probably not noticable to anyone else but it's encouraging to me.
I'm probably not getting as much sleep as I should since I just started studying for the GMAT (MBA admission test). I won't be applying for a while but my work schedule isn't as insane as it usually is right now so I figured I'd knock this thing out. If nothing else it's giving me a reason to sit at Starbucks for hours a day...

Saint Patrick
10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Keep in mind that if you're gaining 3lbs/week, a lot of that will be fat that you'll have to shed off later.

ksw3153
10-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Centric, I've gotta say i'm dissapointed.... 169?? I've already passed you! on friday I was 169.4, and seeing how I was 163 when you were already at 165.5, I've gotta say it looks like this is gonna be an ass whoopin!

Just joshin you man, hope those tests go well, and keep eating more!

P.S. I had thought about trying to minimize the fat I'm going to put on, but considering I had no fat to start with (I've got a six pack and I haven't done anything even resembling a work-out in... ever), I can stand a little layer of the good stuff.
All I know is I'm lovin my arms and chest already, so I'm willing to give up the six pack for now. Also, I'm not going to keep bulking, I think once I get up to 190, I'll take it back a notch and just work on my muscle definition while trimming the fat and see if I can maybe make it up to 200. Any weight above 185 at that point will be good for me, but there's no telling how hard the weight lifting bug will hit me, and I might just want to keep packing it on!

ksw3153
11-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Alright, so after 4 weeks, I've gained 9 lbs, and heres my fitday info for the past month:

Average Calories
source grams cals %total
Total: 2945
Fat: 131 1181 41%
Carbs: 256 973 34%
Protein: 184 737 25%

Fat is a little high, I know, but how bad is that/how high is that? I can't say I have any noticable fat gains, maybe a little bit on my stomach, but hardly any, and I could be imagining it.

ryuage
11-01-2005, 07:41 PM
there is nothing wrong with your fat intake, eat away... now if you are getting most of it as saturated fat then you have a problem.

ksw3153
11-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Here's the breakdown:

Fat: 131 1181 41%
Sat: 53 480 17%
Poly: 18 166 6%
Mono: 41 369 13%

Centric
11-03-2005, 10:59 AM
My regular Friday weigh-in has to come a day early since I'll be traveling for the next few day. My weight this morning was 172.5lb which I'm pretty damn happy about. I still feel like I could eat more than I have for the last week or two. I need to start tracking on fitday again to see where I'm at and what needs adjusting. I'm still struggling with the whole fat gain thing, I guess I'm just not used to it. Stupid gut.
The workouts are still going well. My shoulder hasn't hurt in over a week which is great. I've been doing some rotator cuff exercises during my warm-up, seems to help.

Thorongil
11-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing your Journal and btw your leg day weights were similar to mine! Trust me dude i know how it feels to read posts and think holy S**T im weak. Gl, and btw post your weights it doesnt really matter lol. Oh btw check out my journal!

ksw3153
11-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I didn't any weight from monday through yesterday, so I'm sitting on 170.5 right now. Overall a pretty crappy week, didn't sleep well because I was using horrible form on DL's on monday, (thankfully somebody came over and showed me the right way) so my back hurt the first part of the week. Also because of that I pushed wednesday's workout to yesterday, and I'm going to do today's workout tomorrow. Hopefully I can eat enough over the weekend to go up a pound or so by monday.

BTW, what are you doing, if anything, for abs?

Thorongil
11-04-2005, 03:20 PM
nope i used to but i heard it wasnt that important and i havent figured out how to do weighted ones by placing a plate on me yet lol. Btw about the deadlift i had the same problem till last week now i feel great!!!

Centric
11-05-2005, 12:19 AM
My plan is to do a little cardio and ab work on my off days (tues & thurs) but I haven't been real consistent on that. I can definitely tell that my core is getting some work from other exercises. Once I'm happy with my weight I'll certainly spend some more time on abs and shedding some fat.
Sorry to hear about the dl problems. I haven't had any problems but I think I'll still have one of the pt's review my form. Probably not a bad idea.

ksw3153
11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I just started doing push up/lateral crunches, my plan is to do them every morning and night, but I'm not quite there yet. What you do is do a normal push up, and then bring your right knee up and touch (or get as close as you can to) your left elbow. Then do another push up, left knee to right elbow, repeat... I'm doing 2 sets of 8, and then doing a bunch of crunches. btw, through experimentation, I figured out a pretty kick ass blend for protein shakes. I use 8 ounces of whole milk, 3 strawberries, 1/3 cup of plain yogurt, and a scoop of 100% whey, vanilla flavor. It really kills the aftertaste that I usually get from the creatine, which is what I hated the most about them, and it tastes awesome! What are you putting in yours?

Centric
11-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Interesting ab exercise, can't say I've heard of that one before. Do you move your arms in any way while you are bringing your knee in?
My ab workout usually consists of 2x25 captain chair leg raises, 2x25 bicycles and then some various crunches.
That shake receipe sounds pretty good. I have chocolate flavor right now but I'm thinking of picking up some vanilla just for variety. Mine usually consist of Whole milk, scoop of whey, 1-2 tbl spoons of natty pb, 1-2 table spoons of olive oil, 5g creatine, and a banana. Sometimes I replace the banana with some blueberries. It's pretty good.
It's now 5am and I'm heading to the gym...ugh, definitely needed more sleep this weekend...

ksw3153
11-07-2005, 03:17 PM
weighed in today at 170.6, dissapointed in last week, but looking to put on some serious weight this week, as I have to put on 2.9 lbs/week to make my goal. I'm looking for a motivational poster/calendar to put on my door, anyone know of a good one?

Centric
11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Today's leg workout was just great. My weights only increased marginally but I feel like I'm really getting the form of squats and SLDLs down. I've always had a hard time keeping my weight on my heals during squats, I always felt like I was leaning forward a little and putting too much weight on the balls of my feet. I've tried looking up to keep my back straight but I guess I wasn't looking up enough. Today I just focused on looking almost up at the ceiling, and what do you know, my back is nice and straight and the weight is on my heels. Whoo hoo. I think the improvement in form will let me start adding some weight since I feel way more secure now. I'm excited.
Same basic concept on the SLDLs. Keeping my weight on my heels just makes the lift feel much better.
Also, on the calf raises I tried holding at the top for about two seconds and that definitly made them way harder, but I like it. I think I'll keep doing that for a while.
Oh, and today I saw the first guy (other than me) deadlifting at my gym. Lots of other people squat but in the three months there I have seen zero people deadlift, until today. This guy was lifting reasonably heavy and looked like he knew what he was doing. He seemed pretty friendly so I think I might have him critique my form on DLs one of these days.

Todays workout was something like this (i'm not putting down WU sets):
Squat - 135x8 135x8
Hack Squat - 115x8 115x8 (I'm not really digging these, just akward)
SLDL-185x8 185x6
Standing calf raise - 75x10 75x10 90x8
Leg Curl - 110x8 115x8 120x6

Still crappy little weights but I feel like I'm making some progress so I'm pretty happy with everything.

And k, as far as motivation goes, try this thread http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=38038
It got me thinking about what some of my ultimate goals might be. Being at the half way point to my 180lb goal right now, I'm starting to realize that 180 just won't be big enough. Granted it's way bigger than I've ever been but hell, I'm 6'1", I should be able to carry around 200lb easy....but that will take some time.

ksw3153
11-10-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd talk about my leg workout yesterday, but it would just be a copy of your post. I'm loving squats, now that I'm going parallel it makes them that much harder and makes them take longer.

my #'s look like this:
Squats - 120x8 135x8
SLDL - 115x8 135x8 (still not super confident with these)
Calf Raise - 180x8 180x8 230x10
Leg Curl - 145x8 185x8
also, I've been doing Leg extensions: 145x8 200x10

weighed in at 172.2 yesterday, which is awesome, 17.8 pounds to go!
I feel the same as you do about the weight, but I'm 6'4", I should be able to carry around 220 easy, but we'll see...

Military Press - 70x6 75x6
DB press - 30x6 30x8
lateral raises - 20x8 20x8
narrow grip BP - 85x8 95x5
French Press - 50x8 60x6
BB curls - 70x8 70x8
Hammer curls - 25x8 30x8
added cable pull downs: 100x6 100x6

Bench - 95x8 105x8
low incline DB Press - 30x8 30x7
dips - 6, 2
chin ups - 5, 2
dead lifts - 185x6 185x8
DB rows - 55x8 55x8
shrugs - 100x10 110x10

Centric
11-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Nice job on the weight gain.
I'm starting to struggle again with wanting to put on weight and wanting to be lean. Ugh, it's kind of frustrating but I think I'll have one of the PTs check my bodyfat this weekend just to get on idea of where I'm even at.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that our lifts are really close. But it let's me know that I'm not wussing out too much :D

A couple of questions on your routine. I noticed you ditched the hacksquats, any special reason? Also, are you doing the close grip bench press with a regular oly bar or with one of the barbells with the fixed weights? I'm noticing that just keeping the bar balanced is a challenge all it's own.

I'm actually struggeling more with regulard deads than with the SLDLs. What is it about them that's making you uncomfortable?

ksw3153
11-10-2005, 06:50 PM
I ditched the hacks because I wasn't too sure about the form, and I wasn't a big fan, but I should probably work them back in. I'm doing the close grip with a regular bar, but I just realized I'm doing them incorrectly- I'm placing my hands about 8-10 inches apart, I didn't realize they should be almost touching til I looked it up.

as far as sldls go, I have really long legs, so it's hard to keep good form while reaching all the way down, but I think I can attribute that to me just being a b**** about it.

I had some difficulty with deads, but after the first time, when I was doing them completely wrong, i've gotten it right i think, I don't feel it in my lower back anymore(after that one day, i felt like an old man).

Don't worry about fat, once you reach 200, just go on a cut and even if you only drop back to 190 I'm sure you'll be pleased. I guess thats easy for me to say, because I still have a 4(almost 6)pack, my body doesn't hold fat very well (or it's hiding it really well).

Centric
11-12-2005, 11:31 AM
175lb yesterday morning!! I'm very stoked. Considering there are 7 more weeks left until the end of this year reaching 180lb should not be a problem. I'm thinking of either going for 185lb or sticking with 180 and trying to drop the body fat a little once I'm there. I'll see how I feel once I hit 180. :evillaugh

Yesterdays workout was pretty good. I have a hard time getting excited about Shoulder & Arm day. Since they are such small muscle groups I just don't get the same satisfaction I do from Leg or Chest & Back day. Anyway, here it is:

Shoulder:
BB Military Press: 65x8 85x7
DB Press: 30x8 35x6
Lat Raise: 17.5x8 17.5x6
Tri:
Close Grip Bench: 95x8 95x7
French Press: 60x8 60x6
Bi:
BB Curl: 60x8 60x6
Hammer Curl: 20x8 20x6

Pretty good workout overall, slow and steady progress

Oh, and I saw my first curl jockey yesterday. I usually see the same people every morning but I hadn't seen this guy before. I swear the entire time I was there (about 1 hour) all I saw this guy do was different types of bicep curls. Standing, seated, dumbell, barbell, preacher. He had to do at least a good 20 sets, and he spent a good chunck of time checking himself out in the mirrors...hilarious.

Time to eat....

ksw3153
11-21-2005, 07:16 PM
This is gonna suck... 4 1/2 more weeks to D-day and i haven't worked out in a week and a half. and not only that, but i've been smoking (i'm not a smoker, but i do when my buddy ben is around, and he's been around for that long) and drinking... finals week last week, and a week off this week, so I didn't work out last week, and no gym this week, but I am working outside, doing somewhat strenuous stuff, but I still do feel like ish. can't wait to weigh in next monday! :(

Centric
11-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Well, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Without going into boring detail this week has been hell. I haven't been in the gym since last week but I should be able to get at least one good workout in this weekend. Right now I'm just trying to prioritize food, sleep and workouts (in that order). I'll be happy if I maintain my weight until next week when things will hopefully return to normal.
The only workout I got this week was a hike on the weekend. 7 miles through Red Rock canyon on a killer trail, my legs still hurt :evillaugh

ksw3153
11-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, I haven't weighed myself in two weeks, but if I've maintained 172.6 (doubtful), I need to gain 4.36 lbs/week to reach my goal of 190 by christmas. So, since that's better than 1/2 lbs/day, I might need to drop my goal back to 180, which wouldn't be horrible, since that's what it was originally. To do that I'm back around my required 2.5 lbs/week, so that should be attainable.

jkirkpatrick
11-25-2005, 06:56 PM
After reading some other peoples journals I'm not so sure I want to post the weights I'm using. Just a little intimidating, but I guess everyone starts somewhere. Ugh, maybe a little later.

You two sure have a lot of enthusiasm! Great stuff so far. FWIW, I started with 30lb dumbbell presses....you're right - everyone starts somewhere!

Centric
11-30-2005, 03:10 PM
jkirkpatrick - thanks for the encouraging words, they come at a good time.

I finally got back to the gym today after a week and a half hiatus. I was traveling to see family for Thanksgiving and then just generally lazy.

As much as I know it's counter productive to my goal of putting on weight I'm going to add some more cardio into my routine. Only about 15-20 minutes at a decent intensity about 3 times a week. One reason is that my energy level has been really low and I need to increase that. Secondly I found out that I have high blood pressure and I'd like to reduce that.

I haven't weighed my self this week but I'm sure I'm still in the low 170's. I should still be able to hit 180lb by the end of the year.
Time for a sandwich :)

ksw3153
12-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Geeze... I didn't make it to the gym this week either. I just started a new semester, and I'm taking 21 credit hours, so I haven't figured out my schedule yet. Anyways, I WILL get to the gym next week, and I'll be lucky if I'm still in the 170's.. :(

Edit: your 1.5 week hiatus isn't that bad... mine will be 3

Centric
12-05-2005, 09:25 AM
21 credits? That's just suicidal crazy. I think the most I ever did was 18 and I wanted to kill myself. Even if you can't get to the gym try to get enough sleep and keep feeding yourself. At least you won't drop too much weight that way.
Well, a group of college buddies + Vegas + random girl = lots of drinking, no sleep and crappy diet, but a damn good time. That pretty much sums up my weekend. I did manage to get a decent workout in this morning but I'm dragging a$$ now. I plan on lots of sleep tonight and I should be good to go again.
Time to pretend that I'm working....

ksw3153
12-06-2005, 09:19 AM
yeah it's pretty crazy, but it's not horrible because i'm used to 17 or 18. The thing that really sucks though is my roommate's schedule is completely opposite mine, so the only days we can work out together are mondays and fridays. I hate working out alone, but I guess I'll have to get used to it.