PDA

View Full Version : To much cardio for muscle gain?

jacko
10-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I am trying to gain a lot of muscle but coming from a very cardio heavy background( i have been a runner and a triathlete for quite some time) i find it hard to fully cut back on cardio.
I have started the wannabebig routine 2 and im wondering what is the ideal amount of cardio i should do without it effecting my muscle growth. Right now im doin cardio about 45 min cardio on the days that im not doing weights. ive stopped cardio on my weights days but i wanna make sure that im getting the most out of this routine
Ive had lean muscle for a long time, its time to go big...
Thanks in advance for the advice

Spartan936
10-07-2005, 09:09 PM
If you are getting excess calories, and enough nutrients, then your muscles will grow. Cardio simply makes it so you need more food.

BG5150
10-07-2005, 09:32 PM
45 mins on off days is fine. You could even do it on lifting days, just separate the sessions by six or seven hours (eg run before work and lift when you get home; or vice versa).

Patz
10-07-2005, 09:58 PM
What you're doing is fine--Ideal, even..

jacko
10-09-2005, 01:27 PM
right on guys, thanks alot, ill keep doin what im doin

BathroomNinja
05-22-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm glad I used the search to find this thread and avoiding posting a new one. I had the EXACT same question. I'm glad to know I'm doing the right thing by running on my off days.

-TIM-
05-22-2006, 10:26 PM
If you are getting excess calories, and enough nutrients, then your muscles will grow. Cardio simply makes it so you need more food.I'm With Stupid.

The only way cardio will hinder your ability to gain muscle is if the extra calories you're burning up aren't being replaced. Just make sure you're in a calorie surplus and consuming more than your body is burning. You can run miles every day and you'll still gain muscle if you're eating enough.

the.powerhouse
05-19-2008, 07:51 AM
yea, eat, loads, but keep it healthy