PDA

View Full Version : 10lbs in 7 weeks...

Dannyboy18
10-08-2005, 06:13 PM
What you guys think? Are these decent results for bulking?

I personally feel they are since I've gained size, strength, and not much fat at all (a tiny bit really; still in 32s).

Anyway, I'm continuing till I hit 170-175 (I'm currently 152); I figure 170-175 is about right for a 5'8" guy like myself.

This is my first bulk; just wanted to see if I'm doing crap right.

--Dan.

getfit
10-08-2005, 06:28 PM
umm post up your diet so we can see?

Dannyboy18
10-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Hmm, well usually it's something like:

Breakfast:

-eggs, biscuit and gravy, a pancake, tons of milk, piece of sausage or some bacon (I eat whatever my college dining hall has); sometimes it'll just be a big bowl of cereal

Couple hours later:

-protein bar/shake or a PBJ + milk or something; protein snack in other words

Lunch;

-grilled chicken sandwich, some fruit, some noodles or whatever (some side the dining hall has), a couple glasses of 2% milk + some water. Usually I'll throw in a ham/turkey deli sandwich in there and eat as much of that as I can till I'm full.

Midafternoon:

-some kind of protein snack; some tuna fish, I dunno, I always eat something.

Dinner:

-similar to lunch; try to get some fish, maybe pasta; it really depends on what the dining hall has; I try to get stuff that's pretty healthy while still getting some protein.

Then I'll eat a bowl of cereal and drink a lot of milk through out the night.

I usually go through about 1/2-2/3 gal. of 1% milk a day...

Shao-LiN
10-08-2005, 11:06 PM
10 pounds in 7 weeks is fine. A pound a week is what people usually aim for.

Vegilles
10-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I find since becoming vegetarian 3 years ago there are a couple of excellent vegetables that bulk you up along with steady and vigorous workouts. Weekly, try to consume 3 heads of cauliflower, 2 heads of brocolli, 2 heads of cabbage. I'd drop the bacon/sausage to kill any chance of fat pudges mushrooming as you put on weight. Instead opt for generous amounts of firm tofu.... there are healthy flavoured-spicy varieties available. To do the crap right, try hard to cut the crap out of your diet.

Go for whole wheat bread and pastas-organic whenever possible. Oats over common cereals. Eat foods in their natural state as much as possible. Processed canned and starchy foods are devoid of their normal level nutrients and detrimental heath-wise in the long term [pot bellies again for one]. Over-doing pasta and grains in general may have you doing extensive fat burning routines [excess carbs]. 1% milk better. But careful with overdoing milk ... I've been there, so I can say I know what might happen.... you'll get quite blubbery most likely because it does have a good amount of fat.... it helped me in my quest to bloat out of my 120lb skinny 5'11" frame to at one point 70lbs [!] heavier with hefty workouts but I had a big belly-taking in lots of junky food along the way contributed quite a bit too- so instead consider whey as a protein source [contains very little fat], that whey :rolleyes: you won't have hanging jello in all the wrong places - which will likely happen over time, not to mention cause a substantial hormonal imbalance with excessive milk consumption.

Like I said I'm a vegetarian [and just registered today at this nice site] and with a diet based on the one I outlined, I currently maintain 175 lbs and thats just eating a moderate breakfast and moderate dinner and hardly lunching. I plan to put on more lean weight [20lbs perhaps] via extra cabbage/cauliflower dishes a week [now officially my 'meat' if cooked right] and solid workouts. I still have some pudge from my former years of junky over-eating but my current full sit-ups routine should vaporise that [65 reps in one shot one, 3 times a day] - I only mention that as proof to some who scoff at vegetarians, that correct and properly nutritious veggie diets give you super energy potential too. Trust me on the caulifower and cabbages tip. I don't know if I'm here alot but I'd like to see your subsequent input as to how you fare with the food sources I recommended.Good luck!

[I]edited addon; have a look here too;
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1109738

CarlP
10-09-2005, 11:32 AM
I find since becoming vegetarian 3 years ago there are a couple of excellent vegetables that bulk you up along with steady and vigorous workouts. Weekly, try to consume 3 heads of cauliflower, 2 heads of brocolli, 2 heads of cabbage. I'd drop the bacon/sausage to kill any chance of fat pudges mushrooming as you put on weight. Instead opt for generous amounts of firm tofu.... there are healthy flavoured-spicy varieties available. To do the crap right, try hard to cut the crap out of your diet.

Go for whole wheat bread and pastas-organic whenever possible. Oats over common cereals. Eat foods in their natural state as much as possible. Processed canned and starchy foods are devoid of their normal level nutrients and detrimental heath-wise in the long term [pot bellies again for one]. Over-doing pasta and grains in general may have you doing extensive fat burning routines [excess carbs]. 1% milk better. But careful with overdoing milk ... I've been there, so I can say I know what might happen.... you'll get quite blubbery most likely because it does have a good amount of fat.... it helped me in my quest to bloat out of my 120lb skinny 5'11" frame to at one point 70lbs [!] heavier with hefty workouts but I had a big belly- so instead consider whey as a protein source, that whey :rolleyes: you won't have hanging jello in all the wrong places - which will likely happen over time, not to mention cause a substantial hormonal imbalance.

Like I said I'm a vegetarian [and just registered today at this nice site] and with a diet based on the one I outlined, I currently maintain 175 lbs and thats just eating a moderate breakfast and moderate dinner and hardly lunching. I plan to put on more lean weight [20lbs perhaps] via extra cabbage/cauliflower dishes a week [now officially my 'meat' if cooked right] and solid workouts. I still have some pudge from my former years of junky over-eating but my current full sit-ups routine should vaporise that [65 reps in one shot one, 3 times a day] - I only mention that as proof to some who scoff at vegetarians, that correct and properly nutritious veggie diets give you super energy potential too. Trust me on the caulifower and cabbages tip. I don't know if I'm here alot [I think I will be though :P] but I'd like to see your subsequent input as to how you fare with the food sources I recommended.Good luck!

Fat doesn't make you fat, excess calories do. And you can't spot reduce.

Vegilles
10-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Fat doesn't make you fat, excess calories do
True.....but if you aren't working out to burn off excess calories-
Bad [LDL] fat stores up unused by the body. The detrimental food sources I mentioned will lead to such an excess of fat, simply because they have too much bad fat to begin with, and such an imbalance of calorie intake therefore makes the excess fat, bad fat will make you fat.

Compare a 4oz. avocado with 276 calories to 4oz portion of roast chicken-about 300 calories; The ratio of good fat:bad fat being avocados 7:1, chicken 1:8 , so which gives you accumulated bad fat faster even though they are of equal calorie size?

My whole point is, if this gentleman wants to eat alot of food, better to eat alot of not-so-fatty food to begin with. He did mention contending with a bit of a belly [ok-didn't say belly-but I'm supposing :rolleyes: ] at this point and to achieve the sleek look it'll take longer battling excess fat too.

DannyboyXJ
10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
True.....but if you aren't working out to burn off excess calories-
Bad [LDL] fat stores up unused by the body. The detrimental food sources I mentioned will lead to such an excess of fat, simply because they have too much bad fat to begin with, and such an imbalance of calorie intake therefore makes the excess fat, bad fat will make you fat.

Compare a 4oz. avocado with 276 calories to 4oz portion of roast chicken-about 300 calories; The ratio of good fat:bad fat being avocados 7:1, chicken 1:8 , so which gives you accumulated bad fat faster even though they are of equal calorie size?

My whole point is, if this gentleman wants to eat alot of food, better to eat alot of not-so-fatty food to begin with. He did mention contending with a bit of a belly [ok-didn't say belly-but I'm supposing :rolleyes: ] at this point and to achieve the sleek look it'll take longer battling excess fat too.

BTW, Dannyboy18 is me; I was on my home pc (away from college) and I thought that was my SN; evidently I accidently created 2 accounts...)

No, I said I'm real skinny lol; under 10% BF... Was before starting and haven't gained hardly ANY fat; if I say I've gained fat, I'm being very critical...

I'm going to try to eat a TON of healthy stuff tho; I don't cheat too much, but I still think I could bulk a little bit cleaner...

--Dan.

Shao-LiN
10-09-2005, 10:59 PM

How much protein does the avocado have? How much protein does the chicken have? In addition, if you're using skinless chicken breasts, how much fat is actually there? It is very minimal. There is more to it than the total fat per food. There are other macros to consider as well.

Vegilles
10-10-2005, 06:22 AM
How much protein does the avocado have? How much protein does the chicken have? In addition, if you're using skinless chicken breasts, how much fat is actually there? It is very minimal. There is more to it than the total fat per food. There are other macros to consider as well.
Yes, quite right. Actually I was just using that statement regarding types/amounts of fats comparisons solely rather than what is acceptable to eat. Of course in the amounts of above examples, chicken has more protein-10 times more.
I mentioned avocados earlier too not for weight gain purposes, but for its energy punch for Danny's workouts.

BTW, Dannyboy18 is me; I was on my home pc (away from college) and I thought that was my SN; evidently I accidently created 2 accounts...)

No, I said I'm real skinny lol; under 10% BF... Was before starting and haven't gained hardly ANY fat; if I say I've gained fat, I'm being very critical...

hehe, I'm skinny too-except for a pudge in mid-section... not a beer belly, but all those years of wolfing down any food shows now [for now!]. My metabolism is generally quite high too-go figure.... Well I like the intro this site has about gaining weight [link in post #5]. That's something I should have followed 20 years ago. Although I bulked up considerably, there's still a right way to do things :( . Anyway we seem to both have goals for an extra 10-20lbs of lean bulk, so lets see our progress in the next little while.