PDA

View Full Version : Low-Carb Dieting

randy1234
10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
How many grams of Carbs a day would be considered a low-carb diet?

tholian8
10-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Anything under 100g carbs/day is considered a "low carb diet" in the literature, I believe.

However, if you want fast glycogen depletion or a state of deep ketosis, you can take carbs as low as 30g or even lower. It all depends on what your goals are for the diet period. A lot of cyclical diets use extremely low carbs as part of the cycle.

Holto
10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
You'll know when you're feeling really crappy and your workouts are no longer productive.

Built
10-12-2005, 03:44 PM
If you decide to do this, Randy, track on www.fitday.com, and make SURE you keep your fats no lower than 0.5g/lb LBM - probably higher. I got about 65% of my calories from fat when I low-carbed. Worked like a hot damn - appetite STOPPED, and I lost a bunch of weight. At first. But it DID stay off. It's a very easy way to diet.

And unlike Holto, I didn't feel crappy on low carb. I felt great, in fact. You just don't get a pump when you train.

D Breyer
10-12-2005, 05:45 PM
built- what sort of things did you eat to get your fat that high??

Built
10-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Natural peanut butter, steak, olive oil, butter, egg yolks, raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans), avocados, fish oil capsules trust me, it's easy.

:)

Holto
10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
And unlike Holto, I didn't feel crappy on low carb

Please don't put words in my mouth. I have never gone low carb. I find it far too easy to lose weight without resorting to drastic approaches. I have worked with hundreds of low-carb dieters over the years and many of them described themselves as feeling terrible.

I do realize *however* that there is a right way and a wrong way to go low carb.

D Breyer
10-12-2005, 05:58 PM
what would be the wrong way to low-carb diet?

Built
10-12-2005, 06:05 PM
The wrong way: low fat.

Unless you're doing PSMF BY THE BOOK.

Whatever you do, if you try to do a low carb diet, follow a program. Don't try to wing it.

I did Atkins, and I did it BY THE BOOK. It worked like a hot damn. But what Atkins IS and what people THINK Atkins is appear to be two very different things. On Atkins, I ended up eating more vegetables than most vegetarians I know.

There are perfectly healthy ways to eat lower carb. I do it all the time - I carb cycle.

But do some reading before you try it. If you're going to bother doing an "extreme" diet, you deserve to do it properly.

Holto
10-12-2005, 06:20 PM
what would be the wrong way to low-carb diet?

See Built's post she is 'The Low Carb Guru' and one of the few that has a body to show for it.

I honestly think she is the only woman I know that low carbed and is under 200lbs.

Holto
10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
If you're going to bother doing an "extreme" diet, you deserve to do it properly.

I'm glad we agree that it's extreme. This is the one of two reasons I'm against it. The second reason is because it does not produce more rapid fat loss than any other diet at the same cals.

Built
10-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I was very nearly over 200 lbs - I had gained 30 lbs in two years on my former lowfat diet. I was literally blowing up like a balloon - gaining over 5 lbs a month toward the end before I started Atkins.

It would have happened within a matter of months.

Low carb dieting works very well if you happen to be unlucky enough to have insulin resistance. My "high" carb days now rarely go much higher than about a gram of carb per pound bodyweight.

And my weight loss wasn't all that fast - it took me just under a year to drop 25 lbs.

Fell off slowly and comfortably. It was like a miracle. But again, I followed the stages of Atkins to the letter. And I know many, many people who had similar results. Just depends where you look.

Slim Schaedle
10-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Just to add to the examples and diversity (different things work for different people), I cut at 445g carbs per day (190lbs)

So to the original poster, "low" can vary from person to person.

Built
10-12-2005, 07:19 PM
It really can.

If your metabolism is functioning properly, you won't have the insulin problems that a higher-carb approach will bring (ie HUNGER).

If you find carbs make you freaking HUNGRY, well, you may find a lower carb diet helpful for controlling appetite.

Ultimately, it all comes down to maintaining a caloric deficit. The more comfortable you are while you do this, the better.

Nongan
10-12-2005, 08:09 PM
It really can.

If your metabolism is functioning properly, you won't have the insulin problems that a higher-carb approach will bring (ie HUNGER).

If you find carbs make you freaking HUNGRY, well, you may find a lower carb diet helpful for controlling appetite.

Ultimately, it all comes down to maintaining a caloric deficit. The more comfortable you are while you do this, the better.

I totally agree with Built here. For me especially, I can eat almost 3000 calories in a sitting if it's high in carbs, like for instance one night, my father made homemade pizza and spaghetti and meatballs, and I ate a full pizza and 4 huge bowls of pasta. But when I don't eat tons of carbs, I can't eat near as much.

bubba booey
10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey randy, check out this article, it's interesting reading - "Anabolic Diet" - it's a little extreme, however, recommending 35/5/60 protein/carb/fat, similar to what built is saying I believe

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_69eat

Minotaur
10-13-2005, 10:25 AM
I've been doing ckd snce the beginning of August. My ratios are 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs (mostly green leafy vegs). So far I've lost about 9 lbs, and 2" from my waist. Because I'm insulin resistant (oh bull**** to "insulin resistant"... it's diabetes), I can't really tolerate carbs. In fact, my glucose tolerance test shows me to have impaired glucose tolerance.

Anyway, an ultra low carb diet can really work for some people. I don't feel crappy at all. In fact, I'm getting by on less sleep, and my performance in the gym is actually improving. Sure, I love oatmeal, rice, pasta, sweet potatoes, whole grain stuff, but I am limited to small amounts of those on my weekend recarb. If I eat anything high glycemic like cakes or pastries, etc. I am blown up for days. But I have a pasta meal on Saturday night, and another clean carb meal Sunday morning, and I am good to go.

bubba booey
10-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I've been doing ckd snce the beginning of August. My ratios are 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs (mostly green leafy vegs). So far I've lost about 9 lbs, and 2" from my waist. Because I'm insulin resistant (oh bull**** to "insulin resistant"... it's diabetes), I can't really tolerate carbs. In fact, my glucose tolerance test shows me to have impaired glucose tolerance.

Anyway, an ultra low carb diet can really work for some people. I don't feel crappy at all. In fact, I'm getting by on less sleep, and my performance in the gym is actually improving. Sure, I love oatmeal, rice, pasta, sweet potatoes, whole grain stuff, but I am limited to small amounts of those on my weekend recarb. If I eat anything high glycemic like cakes or pastries, etc. I am blown up for days. But I have a pasta meal on Saturday night, and another clean carb meal Sunday morning, and I am good to go.

So how do fruits fit into a diet like this? Seems like you couldn't afford to have any, other than maybe some berries.

Built
10-13-2005, 10:43 AM
You don't generally get a lot of fruit on a ketogenic diet, but you do get to eat lots of vegetables, and vegetables are more nutrient-dense than fruit anyway. And you're correct, you DO get to eat some berries. Also avocados and peppers, which are both actually fruit.

Minotaur
10-13-2005, 11:20 AM
So how do fruits fit into a diet like this? Seems like you couldn't afford to have any, other than maybe some berries.

What Built said.

bubba booey
10-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking of trying it, but I'll miss my bananas - oh well, such is the price of dedication.

Built
10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah, you really can't do bananas on a low carb diet.

But if you need help with food choices, drop me a PM.

mrwalken
10-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I honestly think she is the only woman I know that low carbed and is under 200lbs.

Never really thought about it, but this is true for me also. None of the whales I know on atkins actually eat vegetables though. Go figure.

Built
10-13-2005, 03:51 PM
If they're not eating vegetables, they aren't doing Atkins.

LOL@whales!

bigME
10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
If they're not eating vegetables, they aren't doing Atkins.

LOL@whales!

What if you don't like vegatables?

Let me rephrase that.

What if you absolutely deplore vegatables?

Shao-LiN
10-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Suck it up and eat 'em?

Built
10-13-2005, 10:46 PM
What if you don't like vegatables?

Let me rephrase that.

What if you absolutely deplore vegatables?

Figure out a way to like 'em.

Some suggestions: butter, lots of salt, hollandaise, cheese (all legit on Atkins)

TheGimp
10-14-2005, 05:25 AM
I guess they're part of the Atkins guidelines? Certainly not necessary for low carb in general.

qside
10-14-2005, 10:35 AM
It all depends on the person though. I find myself feeling dizzy/light-headed if I go super low carb, then I up the carb a bit and lower fat intake and felt a lot better. Didn't seem to have any problem suppressing appetite when I upped carbs either.

Built
10-14-2005, 10:55 AM
It does, indeed, appear to be VERY individual.

CASD
10-21-2005, 10:54 PM
If I look at carbs...I gain but my problem stems from a lack of a thyroid :D ..but it's all the same Anything other then low carb I gain or maintain(If I workout hard enough)
So what does your pre & Post workout meal look like low carber's ..I've been using Shark liver oil before cardio and weights.. but I tried a Whey shake before my last weight session and it worked alot better..
So what does your pre and post meals look like ?