PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! My $%#@in right kidney!

New_Sport
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Lately, after I do my workout and I sit down, I get a slight kidney pain in my right kidney. Could this be due to too much protein? I eat about 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fats for my diet. I'm just a little guy (5'4 120 pounds) age 14 But I'm taking in about 3000 cals a day and am gaining some good weight. Usually I end up taking in about 260g protein a day, too much for my kidneys? I drink a LOT of water a day.

Built
10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
You don't need THAT much protein. That's why the ratio approach is overrated.

You likely would benefit from anywhere from 120-180g protein daily, and at least 60g fat, the rest can easily and happily be made up of carbs and still more fat.

That being said, no, the extra protein is unlikely to cause this.

Could you have a kidney infection?

New_Sport
10-11-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't think so. How can you get a kidney infection? What are the causes, symptoms etc? The pain doesn't last very long. It comes and goes, and it isn't that big of a pain.

Built
10-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Causes? Dunno. Symptoms: well, kidney pain...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Um...lay off the protein guy. That is WAY over the top. You must be pissing pure nitrogen.

J.C.
10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Um...lay off the protein guy. That is WAY over the top. You must be pissing pure nitrogen.

Yup. Your urine probably smells of strong ammonia. Not nice

That said; well done for the commitment to eating enough cals and protein (and following a ratio diet), especially at only 14. I had no ****ing clue what to eat at that age, let alone workout my ratios.

Think big, hang around WBB reading and learning and you'll get big in a relatively short amount of time. :thumbup:

As for the kidney pain; should maybe see the doctor. C'mon we're talking about kidneys here not a headache. I'd be quite scared if i ever got kidney pain - I mean surely they're quite important.

Invain
10-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Do you play any contact sports? Football maybe? Or even basketball?

You could have taken a stray elbow or something to the kidney and not even realize it. Last year I got hammered in the kidney and pee'd blood that night, that was scary as hang. You should definitely go to the doctors though, don't joke around with your kidneys.

New_Sport
10-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Do you play any contact sports? Football maybe? Or even basketball?

You could have taken a stray elbow or something to the kidney and not even realize it. Last year I got hammered in the kidney and pee'd blood that night, that was scary as hang. You should definitely go to the doctors though, don't joke around with your kidneys.

I'm in track n field and boxing.

smalls
10-11-2005, 08:34 PM
I gotta disagree with people stating that is WAY over the top, almost making it sound dangerous. Yes it's unnecassarily high as far as all the current research goes, but the chances of that causing your problem are slim to none (unless you have a pre-existing kidney problem). Are you sure it's the kidneys? If it continues I would probably see a professional about it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I gotta disagree with people stating that is WAY over the top, almost making it sound dangerous. Yes it's unnecassarily high as far as all the current research goes, but the chances of that causing your problem are slim to noneAnd where did you draw this slim to none conclusion from?

SkinnyBastard
10-11-2005, 11:10 PM
As a former medical professional, moderately large doses of protein normally don't cause problems, unless the person is underhydrating for the given amount of protein (you all probably already know this), but in the case of the OP, I would have to agree that he's using way too much protein given his size. Just remember to stay hydrated and get yourself checked out by an MD anytime symptoms like this arise, as was said before- kidney disease or damage is nothing to mess around with.

Griffin98
10-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Are you sure it's the kidneys? Is the pain in the back rather than the front? Kidneys are retroperitoneal, which just means they're closer to your ass than your bird.

Do some reading on it. You can start here.

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/kidney/faq3.cfm

SkinnyBastard
10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I must recommend against relying upon a "symptom checker" due to the possibility of writing off a serious condition as something minor. But you are correct that the kidneys are retroperitoneal, but pain from the kidneys can be felt in the back (most often where the bottom most rib joins the spinal column), but can also be felt in the front, as generalized flank pain or even as a shoulder pain in extreme cases.

dw06wu
10-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Just go see a professional.

Shao-LiN
10-11-2005, 11:40 PM
It's high for your weight, but the people making it sound like you're going to die from it are overexaggerating.

smalls
10-12-2005, 12:02 AM
And where did you draw this slim to none conclusion from?

Because the chances of incurring kidney damage (in a previously healthy kidney) due to high protein intake are "slim to none". At least according to the current research done on the topic. But apparently you have another way to draw conclusions.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Where is the current research that states someone that's 120 pounds at 5'4" will be peachy keen downing 260 grams of protein per day and have no ill effects over time?

smalls
10-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Everything has to be backed by studies in order to prove you will be "peachy"? Most of us eat according to goals and as long as those goals dont directly negatively impact health there is no reason to tell someone to "lay off the protein". You should hang out with my mom.

smalls
10-12-2005, 01:12 AM
And if you really want to see the studies just do a pubmed search or search this site, there have been some links posted here on the topic.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-12-2005, 01:38 AM
He doesn't need that much protein...that's my only point. He can manage just fine with a lower intake. If anything, all that excess protein is just a waste. As long as he doesn't have a kidney infection, weak kidneys, or whatever, he'll be fine...which is why he needs to see a doctor to see what's wrong.

Let's just shake hands and move on.

and as long as those goals dont directly negatively impact health there is no reason to tell someone to "lay off the protein".You probably thought I meant something extreme by "lay off the protein". The numbers I'm thinking of are what Built suggested with the 120-180g protein range.

smalls
10-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Ok that sounds good. And actually I agree, he doesnt need that much, but I was just arguing that point that it was really dangerous. Consider our hands officially shaken or shook or something.

And newsport, just make sure if you do decrease your protein intake keep the cals the same, just compensate with another macronutrient. But it's probably just an acute problem.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-12-2005, 02:02 AM
but I was just arguing that point that it was really dangerous.Yeah...I worded my post very poorly. My fault. I don't think it's "dangerous" by any means.

Consider our hands officially shaken or shook or something.Hehe...ok. :)

Davidelmo
10-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Yep, I'm also going to chip in and say you're having too much protein. Not that it will be bad for your health, but it seems like a waste, especially for your size.
Fats have more calories per gram than protein so if you change those extra grams of protein to grams of carbs or fats, you will increase your caloric intake even more!