PDA

View Full Version : olympic squat form

slydeflex
10-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi, if I wanted to perform an olympic squat would I need to put 10lb plates under my heels if I do not have shoes with a heel?

debussy
10-12-2005, 06:23 AM
depends on your flexibility. i would probably start with the 10s under your heels, work down to 5s, and then 2.5s. when you have money, you should pick up the olympic weightlifting shoes. they are a lot more stable.

slydeflex
10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=debussy]depends on your flexibility. i would probably start with the 10s under your heels, work down to 5s, and then 2.5s. when you have money, you should pick up the olympic weightlifting shoes. they are a lot more stable.[/QUOTE

Are they better for squating than chuck taylors?

biggimp
10-12-2005, 10:44 PM
haha, chuck taylors for squatting...

those have no ankle support, i would only use them on deadlift because of the thin sole. for squat you want something with some ankle support, like either a boot or a real hi-top shoe. theres nothing wrong with squatting with chuck taylors, they just dont help you any.

MixmasterNash
10-13-2005, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=debussy]depends on your flexibility. i would probably start with the 10s under your heels, work down to 5s, and then 2.5s. when you have money, you should pick up the olympic weightlifting shoes. they are a lot more stable.[/QUOTE

Are they better for squating than chuck taylors?

I might get flamed by the westside afficianados but chucks SUCK for squatting. Well, to be particular, they don't suck for the very wide PL-style squats, but they're awful for anything closer to olympic style.

Work on flexibility in your ankles and hips and you should be able to squat deep eventually.

BG: chucks also have a fairly thick sole, and so aren't great for deadlifting either.

fixationdarknes
10-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Work on flexibility in your ankles and hips and you should be able to squat deep eventually.

I've heard that just squatting in itself will help flexibility and eventually give you the ability to squat deep. Is this true? Or should I actually be stretching and trying to get more flexible that way?

MixmasterNash
10-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I've heard that just squatting in itself will help flexibility and eventually give you the ability to squat deep. Is this true? Or should I actually be stretching and trying to get more flexible that way?

No, squatting to parallel won't really help your deep squatting flexibility. Don't expect just to get better -- you have to practice.

fixationdarknes
10-13-2005, 05:01 PM
No, squatting to parallel won't really help your deep squatting flexibility. Don't expect just to get better -- you have to practice.

I always squat as deep as my flexibility allows. It's below parallel, but I want to work my way to maybe a more "true" ATF Squat. And how do you practice other than squatting as deep as possible every week?

MixmasterNash
10-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Squat with much less weight to ensure depth. Lots of stretching. Try different bar positions on your back. Try front squats and if you're really brave, overhead squats.

debussy
10-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Took me weeks and weeks of stretching until I could really squat ATF. I still have to completely warm everything up before squatting. The olympic shoes are definitely gonna be great for doing for squatting ATF.

I tried chucks for powerlifting squats... and they werent too bad. They are much better than regular sneakers... since chucks are less squishy. The heel support does suck though. These days I just wear my chucks around campus.

Sensei
10-14-2005, 07:36 AM
I might get flamed by the westside afficianados but chucks SUCK for squatting.

I agree w. you. I am a huge WS fan, but I really don't get their love affair w. Chucks...

fixationdarknes
10-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Squat with much less weight to ensure depth. Lots of stretching. Try different bar positions on your back. Try front squats and if you're really brave, overhead squats.

Alright next time I squat I'll go lighter and focus on depth. And I really want to do Overhead Squats but I don't know how to snatch the bar up into that position.

MixmasterNash
10-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Start with almost no weight for overhead squats, using a broomstick.

greathuskie
10-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Start with almost no weight for overhead squats, using a broomstick.

youre a broomstick :ninja:

slydeflex
10-15-2005, 04:59 AM
Took me weeks and weeks of stretching until I could really squat ATF. I still have to completely warm everything up before squatting. The olympic shoes are definitely gonna be great for doing for squatting ATF.

I tried chucks for powerlifting squats... and they werent too bad. They are much better than regular sneakers... since chucks are less squishy. The heel support does suck though. These days I just wear my chucks around campus.
what type of sneakers would you recommend for squats?

slydeflex
10-15-2005, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=slydeflex]

I might get flamed by the westside afficianados but chucks SUCK for squatting. Well, to be particular, they don't suck for the very wide PL-style squats, but they're awful for anything closer to olympic style.

BG: chucks also have a fairly thick sole, and so aren't great for deadlifting either.
which sneakers would you recommend then for squats?

biggimp
10-15-2005, 10:43 AM
boots might be too stiff, but i like them. also high top basketball shoes have always worked great for me, if you lace them all the way up and tie them tight.