PDA

View Full Version : Help with Fiancée’s diet

bassman09
10-12-2005, 02:27 PM
I am trying to get my fiancée to eat healthier and take better care of herself. I need to know how much EFA's she should be consuming in one day.

She is 36yrs old, 5' 5" tall, weighs 130lbs. She doesn't do much in the form of exercise. I have her doing a 1/2 hr a day on the tredmill, just a brisk walk. No weights (yet, LOL)

I am just looking for a rough estimate so I can start making sure she is getting enough EFA's on a daily basis.

Built
10-12-2005, 03:53 PM
EFAs? Dietary fat? Fish oil supplement?

Not sure which way you mean to go here, but at 5'5" and 130 lbs, she's quite slim now.

If we are to make a guess that she's at about 25% bodyfat (which is probably high, but whatever) she'll have about 95-100 lbs lbm.

Close enough for our purposes.

Build her diet from no less than 100g protein and 50g fat.

I weigh what she does, and I eat about 180g protein and about 80g fat daily, but I'm more muscular than someone who does half an hour on a treadmill daily.

I don't know what her calories are, but suppose she can cut slowly on 1700.

For example, her diet could look like any of the following and she'll get in enough protein and fat:

100g of protein, 50g of fat, and 212.5g of carbohydrate, 1700 calories in total.

125g of protein, 65g of fat, and 153.75g of carbohydrate, 1700 calories in total.

145g of protein, 60g of fat, and 145g of carbohydrate, 1700 calories in total.

150g of protein, 80g of fat, and 95g of carbohydrate, 1700 calories in total.

I get in 10g of wild fish oil capsules daily for the omega-3.

Hope this helps.

bassman09
10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks that helps a lot. I was looking for a rough number of grams of good fats she should shoot for in a day

She is about as stubborn as they come when it comes to her diet and taking suppliments.
I have tried to get her to take olive oil but she hates it. I recently started taking Hemp oil myself as well so I made her try that, she hates it too. I am considering getting her some capsules she can take but she would have to take 1/2 a bottle a day to come close to the right amount of fat per day. LOL

She is very un-like me in that I watch EVERYTHING I eat and count EVERY calorie. She couldn't be bothered, I am trying to help her see the light but we all know that she must want to change her diet herself or nothing I do will help. Hence the capsules. I just know the benefits EFA's and want her to atleast include healthy fats in her diet.

Built
10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Um … seriously? She consumes ZERO fat from her food?
Excellent sources of healthy fats include avocados, natural peanut butter, egg yolks, butter, olive oil (put it in salad dressing), walnuts, almonds (any raw nut, really), red meat, fish - especially cold water fish like tuna and salmon…
I add in 10g fish oil daily to make sure I get in a lot of Omega-3, because most people have too much Omega-6 relative to their Omega-3 consumption. I like how I feel on higher fats, so I simply supplement. This is the only supplemental oil I consume. I don’t even count these on fitday because they're a constant, and still, my fats have NO trouble topping 80g daily.

bassman09
10-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Well she probably gets a little fat from some of the foods she eats, not much though. That is why I am concerned.

Typically she has a very small bowl of cereal for breakfast with skim milk and a small glass of orange juice. Usually soup or salad for lunch. Supper is different every night. Sometimes she has steak and potatoe or chicken & green beans or taco salad or fish and chips, stuff like that.

Rarely does she eat peanut butter, I gave her some of my natural peanut butter but she hated it. Once in a blue moon she will have an egg or two caked with cheese.

Too be honest with you I spend so much time figuring out my macronutrients for the day and preparing all my of meals that I just don't have the time to set up another entire diet for her as well. Aside from that I eat pretty much the exact same thing everyday which I don't expect her to do.

I am trying to convince her of how important it is to have a properly balance diet but she is just to lazy to do anything about it. Very frustrating for me because I intend to stay very healthy and live for a long, long time and I don't want to live without her by my side because she is too lazy to take care of herself now.

If nothing else I want to see her getting her EFA's. I will try to put together a list of good foods that she can pick from when she is deciding what to eat. I know she would jump all over the nuts but they are so high in calories and eating just a few of any one thing is not something she is very good at. LOL

She is getting better with time. Before we met she was like a lot of women I know. Nothing for breakfast, junk for lunch and popcorn for supper!! all with zero exercise.

Bit by bit I am trying to get her to care about her health and look at the long term effects of eating good foods and exercising. She is up at 5:30AM everyday with me doing some tredmilling or using her total gym so that is a good start, now I just have to get her diet dialed in and get her doing some weight training.

Built
10-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Tell her to ditch juice. Also the cereal.

Nobody should be drinking fruit juice. It's sugar water.

The little bit of skim milk has a tiny bit of protein and a little bit of sugar (lactose). Add that to cereal and juice and you've got a sugar solution, not breakfast.

Tell her to try oats with whey protein, or perhaps with egg whites with one yolk. I eat 6 hardboiled egg whites and one yolk with a pat of butter and lots of salt for breakfast. Works fine.

She needs more protein, more fat, more green vegetables, and less sugars and starches.

bassman09
10-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks. I will keep working on her, that's all I can do. She has to want it or I am just wasting my time anyways.

Thanks again.