PDA

View Full Version : fat and a healthy heart diet

dtshen
10-13-2005, 12:05 PM
can someone explain what contributes to cholestrol and high blood pressure? it is not due to a high fat diet? high fat diet is only more likely to be high calories?

ddegroff
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Saturated fat and trans fat increase LDL cholesterol in the blood. If your eating monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats these have no effect on your cholesterol. Also HDL "good cholesterol" levels can be raised by exercise.

Built
10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Triglyceride production is affected by carbohydrate consumption. Drop your carbs, and your triglycerides will follow.

If you're overweight, lose weight and your bad cholesterol will probably go down. Lift weights, and your good cholesterol might go up.

Tarendol
10-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I just came back from having my cholesterol test results explained to me by my doctor, and he told me exactly the same thing. Have you considered having yours tested? I figured mine was fine (as it was,) but it is better to check and it is good to have a baseline to compare with later. It was about $30 for me; the only annoying thing about it was that I couldn't eat until they were finished.

rk77
10-13-2005, 04:11 PM
As for high blood bressure, being fat, not in good cardio shape, and high sodium diet are prob the main reasons.

Built
10-13-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm not so sure about a high sodium diet causing high blood pressure.

I have read that if you DO have high blood pressure, you might need to drop your sodium. But I don't think cause and effect is at play here.

I eat a lot of salt (I've increased my salt lately - good for muscle growth), and my bp is nice and low. It was low when I ate a low salt diet, too. Never changed.

rk77
10-13-2005, 09:43 PM
It effects everone differently, just like a high fat diet will effect people diffrently. (The guy who ate a muliple big macs eveyday from mcdonalds for 20 years has low cholesteral, while the guy who stared in supersize me saw his jump through the roof). Genetics plays a key role. I wouldnt recommened a high salt diet, theres a lot of other healthier anabolics that work better then salt. I dont have a problem with salt either but then again im 20 years old and I dont eat a lot of prosseded food or table salt. But built if it works for you and it dosnt effect you then thats fine, keep it up.

Built
10-13-2005, 10:47 PM
You might find this article helpful... http://chemo.net/sodium-.htm

rk77
10-14-2005, 06:52 AM
I think ive read then when you posted it earlier. I dunno if you can say there is a right or wrong because I could pull up articles sayin the exact opposite. I guess gentics is the most important factor.

Built
10-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Pre-existing high blood pressure is the key here. If you have it, listen to your doctor. If you don't, salt won't give it to you.