PDA

View Full Version : My Weight Routine

Formless
10-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks for clicking im new to these forums and this is my routine.
I am mainly weight training for strenght for martial arts and mass.
What do ye think of this routine and is there anything i should change.

Day One: Good Mornings: 4X6-8
Bench Press: 5X5
Weighted Pull-ups: 4X Near Failure
Weighted Chin-ups: 4X Near Failure

Day Two: Front Squats: 5X5
Deadlifts: 6X3
Weighted Dips: 4X Near Failure
Shoulder Press: 3X 8-10

Day Three: Overhead Squats: 5x5
Bent over Rows: 5X5
Reverse Curls: 4X8
Bench Press: 5X5

Thanks any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

squat it all!
10-13-2005, 04:59 PM
i might suggest doing your deadlifts before your front squats.

Formless
10-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Ty, yes i was thinking of switching them around is there anything i should add or does it look like a farely solid routine.]

Thanks again.

squat it all!
10-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Ty, yes i was thinking of switching them around is there anything i should add or does it look like a farely solid routine.]

Thanks again.

i'm by far not the most qualified on this board to answer that, but i think it's a good routine for strength. it's simple, abbreviated, and focuses on basic, compound lifts. good luck with it, and let us know how it works for ya!

Formless
10-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks squat it all, im planning to work on this routine for about 6 weeks and make decent gains by christmas time.

Ill keep ye informed.

Thanks again.

debussy
10-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Solid routine, brotha... just wondering though... why no back squats?

MixmasterNash
10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
I like it.

mattanshrager
10-13-2005, 07:33 PM
i dont want to get into an argument, but i truly believe that olympic lifts should be part of anyone's routine. you can look up info if u want just dont reply to me about this caus i am sooo not in the mood sorry

mattanshrager
10-13-2005, 07:36 PM
otherwise, btw, the routine is wonderful. just think about those olympic lifts yeah? clean and jerk, and snatch

Sensei
10-14-2005, 07:33 AM
i might suggest doing your deadlifts before your front squats.

Don't do this unless you are going to be doing light front squats. It looks good.

Formless
10-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks, the reason i dont do back squats is because i dont have a squat rack which is annoying and my gym doesnt have one either for some stupid reason.
Front squats are easier to do without a spotter and i work on my cleans at the same time.As for olympic lifts i want to increase my numbers with powerlifting before i add some olympic lifts.
What exercise should i do first front squats or deadlifts.

Thanks again.

MixmasterNash
10-14-2005, 08:04 AM
What exercise should i do first front squats or deadlifts.

Thanks again.

Front squats. Correct form is somewhat more difficult, and you'll be cleaning the weight first, as you said. Do deads second. They're more of a strength exercise.

Formless
10-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks again,
What sort of gains do you think i could get in strenght and mass from this routine after several weeks or so.I would like to gain about an inch on my chest and inch on my thighs and an inch on my waist how long do ye think it would take to reach those goals with a healthy diet and plenty of protein.

Thanks again.

PowerManDL
10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Looks solid to me.

squat it all!
10-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Front squats. Correct form is somewhat more difficult, and you'll be cleaning the weight first, as you said. Do deads second. They're more of a strength exercise.

mixmasternash and sensei: i don't understand why you'd want to do front squats before deadlifts. unless it is because he has to clean the weight for front squats, as was mentioned. but wouldn't you want to hit the DL while at your strongest since it is a strength move? respectfully confused -- thank you for your advice.

PowerManDL
10-14-2005, 03:54 PM
I'd rather risk slight DL fatigue from the relatively light front squats than risk form breaking down on the technically more challenging front squats due to being exhausted from DLs.

squat it all!
10-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I'd rather risk slight DL fatigue from the relatively light front squats than risk form breaking down on the technically more challenging front squats due to being exhausted from DLs.

yeah, i dig that. thanks for the explanation.

SkinnySadMan
10-14-2005, 08:47 PM
i dont want to get into an argument, but i truly believe that olympic lifts should be part of anyone's routine. you can look up info if u want just dont reply to me about this caus i am sooo not in the mood sorry

To perform olympic lifts, should you buy olympic lifting shoes ? What if you perform them flat footed ? Sorry I sound like an idiot but I was reading another thread about putting plates under your heels when doing olympic lifts (overhead squats and the likes) ... or simply buy olympic lifting shoes.

MixmasterNash
10-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Just wear regular sneakers to start. You don't need olympic lifting shoes at all.

Don't put plates under your feet. Become flexible enough to go deep naturally.

Formless
10-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice,
So i will do my front squats first then the deadlifts.

Thanks for all the help.

need4muscle
10-15-2005, 09:09 PM
formless, do you do this routine monday wednesday and friday?? or monday tuesday and wednesday??

Formless
10-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Tuesday,thursday,saturday.
The reason being is that they are the only days i have time to train.
Last year of school and it requires alot of studying etc.....
I do a bit before school on tuesday and thursday aswell im not sure to change to another day though and some training sunday.

Why do you ask?

need4muscle
10-16-2005, 08:47 PM
i was just wandering because it looks like a good routine. I might give it a shot sometime

dw06wu
10-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Looks good to me, but I think you should add some heavy core/ab work.

Formless
10-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Yah i was thinking of adding weighted ab work. I do v-ups etc..... and ive started planches on separate days to my lifting days.

What compound ab work would ye suggest.
Thanks again for the replys its good to know that i will get gains out of this routine.

Thanks.

Btw need4muscle your numbers are very good for your weight and age.
Have you been lifting long?
I heard somewhere that you arent suppose to lift weights before the age of 16.

dw06wu
10-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Yah i was thinking of adding weighted ab work. I do v-ups etc..... and ive started planches on separate days to my lifting days.

What compound ab work would ye suggest.
Cable crunches, and weighted leg raises are two good ones. Weighed incline crunches work, too. Exrx.net should have descriptions if you aren't familiar with the movements.

I heard somewhere that you arent suppose to lift weights before the age of 16.
hogwash

Formless
10-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Cable crunches, and weighted leg raises are two good ones. Weighed incline crunches work, too. Exrx.net should have descriptions if you aren't familiar with the movements.

hogwash

Thanks ill look them up and thanks for clearing up that myth about what age to start weightlifting.

What age do you think the minimum age should be before starting.

dw06wu
10-19-2005, 08:50 AM
probably like 13-14. doesn't make much sense to start before then.

Formless
10-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Im thinking of taking out the good mornings because im not getting much out of them at the moment.
Would you recommend any other good exercise i could put in instead of good mornings for the lower body.

Thanks.
Help much appreciated.

getfit
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
decline weighted ab crunches are brutal

diesel_dan
11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
You could replace the good morning's with Straight-leg Deadlifts - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

Formless
11-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Are they much better then good mornings?
And what do you think of good mornings what exercise would you prefer.

Thanks again Dan.

khari
11-09-2005, 06:35 AM

Thanks again Dan.

Goodmornings are an excellent exercise, and if I were you I'd keep them. If you must replace them, do Romanian deadlifts.

diesel_dan
11-09-2005, 10:50 AM

Thanks again Dan.

They are both good exercise's that mainly target the hamstrings. I myself prefer straight-leg deadlifts, because they work everything good mornings do and more. On top of that, I feel that sldl's are easier to do. Check out these links for the execution of these exercises and the muscles they work:
Good-Morning's: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html
Straight-leg Deadlift's: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

Formless
11-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Ya you convinced me, ill go with straight-leg deadlifts they seem to work more then good mornings or i might rotate the exercise's, one week good mornings next week straight-leg deadlifts.

Thanks again for advice.

diesel_dan
11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Ya you convinced me, ill go with straight-leg deadlifts they seem to work more then good mornings or i might rotate the exercise's, one week good mornings next week straight-leg deadlifts.

Thanks again for advice.

That would probably be the best, rotating the exercises that is.

Formless
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
What would be the best exercise to replace shoulder dips with because i dont have anything to do dips on at the moment.I Lean forward on my dips to target my pecs.
So an exercise that really works the pecs.

Thanks again.