PDA

View Full Version : Protein pre-loading before beginning exercise program?

SkinnyBastard
10-13-2005, 09:32 PM
OK, I'm about three days out from starting my exercise regiment, and I have a very dumb question: Should I start with an elevated protein intake at some time between now and Monday (when I start lifting), or should I wait until Monday? Given what I know about protein metabolism I figure that preloading will be of little benefit but since I'm also loading up on creatine this week ahead of the start of my self-imposed torture, uh, sorry "workouts" LOL, and have to start that ahead of time, perhaps I should go ahead and start with the protein as well. Any thoughts?

cakedonkey
10-13-2005, 09:51 PM
In terms of the "big picture", I don't think it will make much of a difference. However... starting a solid bulking diet right now would be great to get you into the "swing of things". Simple guidlines are: at the very least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, 2g quality complex carbs per pound of bodyweight, and a gallon of water a day.

Unreal
10-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Probably won't matter besides getting use to the diet.

If you consider it torture, then you'll never stick to it. Its a lifestyle. If you don't enjoy doing it, then don't torture yourself. I LOVE going to the gym.

SkinnyBastard
10-13-2005, 10:51 PM
I've not exercised in three years....since I stopped playing soccer (British rules football to be more specific, not the pussified version of the game we in the US). It's this lack of exercise that resulted in me dropping from 174 lbs to the size I am now.

I always had trouble getting motivated when I've first started exercising and that's what I am feeling now. But once I get into it, I find myself looking forward to working out. It's "torture" for the first couple of weeks until I hit my groove and then you have to drag me from the gym. Of course I've never worked out basically alone before....it was always a team effort before so that will be another interesting change for me. But thanks for the advice on diet guys. It's much appreciated.

HILL
10-14-2005, 01:27 AM
It will be of little benefit as you havnt been lifting but as people generally dont eat enough protein starting now can only have positive effects

ROMANMAN
10-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Why are you taking creatine if you havent even started working out, I'm not sure about this but isnt it pointless untill you get a good base.

muscleup
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I've not exercised in three years....since I stopped playing soccer (British rules football to be more specific, not the pussified version of the game we in the US). It's this lack of exercise that resulted in me dropping from 174 lbs to the size I am now.

I always had trouble getting motivated when I've first started exercising and that's what I am feeling now. But once I get into it, I find myself looking forward to working out. It's "torture" for the first couple of weeks until I hit my groove and then you have to drag me from the gym. Of course I've never worked out basically alone before....it was always a team effort before so that will be another interesting change for me. But thanks for the advice on diet guys. It's much appreciated.

The first couple of weeks is not tourtue by any means. The first couple of weeks are when you have the potential to make the fastest gains of your weightlifting/bodybuilding career, short of AS cycles if you ever so chose that path.

Noob gains are a beautiful thing my friend, please do not disregard this time as "torture".
You are going to have to find a way to get you motivated. This forum is a good place to find motivation if you start to strugle.

Here are some tips for your first few weeks:
-When you think you are eating enough...you're not
-When you think you are lifting heavy....you aren't
-Form can always be improved, and weight lifted takes a back seat when it comes to sh!tty form
-Never miss a squat day
-****ty sessions are often followed by the ones that make you keep going
and don't be a quiter

SkinnyBastard
10-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep everyone advised about how things go over the next few weeks and months.

Jorge Sanchez
10-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Probably won't matter besides getting use to the diet.

If you consider it torture, then you'll never stick to it. Its a lifestyle. If you don't enjoy doing it, then don't torture yourself. I LOVE going to the gym.

Going to the gym is the easy part. Eating is the torture. But somehow I still manage to do it.

getfit
10-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Going to the gym is the easy part. Eating is the torture. But somehow I still manage to do it.
i thought eating was the easy part, and the gym torture :D ;)