PDA

View Full Version : How is my Bulking Diet?

WILLGETNICE
10-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Meal 1: Oatmeal, apple, 5 egg whites
Meal 2: Opticen
Meal 3: Brown rice, Chicken, mixed greens, Nitrean (post workout)
Meal 4: Opticen and apple
Meal 5: Chicken, Nitrean, and lots of veggies
Meal 6: Nitrean, cottage cheese (last meal before bed)

Supplements: Opticen, Nitrean, Fish Body Oils, Creatine, Ultra Mega Gold Multi Vitamin

*2 gallons water each day, bout half a gallon taken in during workout
**Use olive oil in rice and on mixed greens
:ninja:

getfit
10-14-2005, 09:33 AM
is that enough for you? ummm on a bulk

muscleup
10-14-2005, 10:23 AM
The actual foods look decent, but what are your measurments of food?
You say "chicken". Well, how much chicken, roughly? Do you have a calorie calculation you could show? Countin cals is just as important on a bulk as it is on a cut.

Also, you seem to be supplementing quite a bit (2 doses Opticen & 3 doses Nitrean). Is there a specific reason? Not big on chewing your food?
Real food is cheaper than supps, but it's totally your call :)
Maybe you are pressed for time and shakes are easier? Happens to me a lot.

Davidelmo
10-14-2005, 11:23 AM
How many calories would be enough do you think?

Is there an idea ratio for body weight?

muscleup
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
How many calories would be enough do you think?

Is there an idea ratio for body weight?
This is something that you can test. Weigh yourself and find out your current weight.
Pick an amout of calories to eat every day for 1 week. Say you pick 3000/day for 1 week. At the end of the week, weigh yourself again and see if you gained weight. If you did, then you are over your maintenance calories.
If you didn't gain anything, then you are still at maintenance level calories and you will need to increase the amount per day if you want to gain weight.

If lost weight, then you are under maintenance level and should increase a lot to get you above.

Make sense?

Davidelmo
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Yep thanks,
I'm looking at your fitday.. I assume you're bulking too... 4500cal per day :O

Here's mine: any good or not?
I'm a measly 135lbs at the moment, 5ft 8
I dont start at the gym until Monday so I'm not going too overboard because I havent done any exercise in a couple months.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Davidelmo&Year=2005&Month=9&Day=13

Just went out today and bought a load of oats, some cereal bars, peanut butter.

muscleup
10-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Yep thanks,

I dont start at the gym until Monday so I'm not going too overboard because I havent done any exercise in a couple months.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Davidelmo&Year=2005&Month=9&Day=13

Have you checked out the Diet&Nutrition section yet? One of the stickies lists foods bodybuilders eat. Read This (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565)
And this (http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php)

Was your flapjack just plain with nothing on it?
Popcorn fills me up, so I stay away from it.
Regular 'ol Quaker oats are usually cheaper than the instant packets.
Did you buy Natural PB?
I'm undecided on pizza intake. I usually keep that to a minimum.
For the bigger cals I like to stick with the basics:
chicken
lean beef
Tuna
milk
eggs
oats

Davidelmo
10-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Yeah I read that... but today was the first day I got a chance to go shopping.

I'm a student so was surviving off the things I had left, hehe.
And like I said I dont start the gym till monday so I didnt want to go too crazy with calories!

Yep the flapjack is plain.. 350kcal per bar, suprisingly little sugar.. it's good stuff I think.

Popcorn is a nice treat, but how would you evaluate it for weight-gain purposes?

I bought 4 x 500g of oats today so that should keep me going nicely!

Lots of chicken! Steak too :D

Milk too, but I dont like eggs or tuna.

muscleup
10-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Popcorn is a nice treat, but how would you evaluate it for weight-gain purposes?

If I had to make a list of the top 20 best foods to bulk on, pop-corn wouldn't make the list. Sorry :cool:

spencerjrus
10-14-2005, 02:42 PM
If I had to make a list of the top 20 best foods to bulk on, pop-corn wouldn't make the list. Sorry :cool:

Anything that has calories and can fit inside my mouth makes my top 20 best foods to bulk on.

Unreal
10-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Looking at your fitday, ditch flavored oats. Get bulk oats and add fruit/nuts/etc yourself. WAY cheaper and better for you. Package **** is all sugar. Get a scale and weight your food. Estimating "medium chicken" and stuff like that isn't a good way.

Davidelmo
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Looking at your fitday, ditch flavored oats. Get bulk oats and add fruit/nuts/etc yourself. WAY cheaper and better for you. Package **** is all sugar. Get a scale and weight your food. Estimating "medium chicken" and stuff like that isn't a good way.

Got it!

Like I said, bought 4kg of plain, unflavoured oats today.
I have some vanilla protein powder left.. should taste okay together.

Yep, i'll measure the chicken.. i just stuck medium until I do.. I'll update it later

muscleup
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Anything that has calories and can fit inside my mouth makes my top 20 best foods to bulk on.
lol
..no comment

Davidelmo
10-14-2005, 04:28 PM
muscleup, what is "Hulk Smoothie"?

Something you made yourself?

EDIT:Oh wait, never mind.. googled it

muscleup
10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
muscleup, what is "Hulk Smoothie"?

Something you made yourself?

There is a place called Smoothie King here that makes health food smoothies.
They have a website if you want to check it out.
The "Hulk" is just a name for one of their weight gainer/protein smootheis.
I try to get one of these on days I work out because they are high in carbs.
It's good stuff.

New_Sport
10-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Yep thanks,

That seems like too much fat intake to me.

Davidelmo
10-15-2005, 06:33 AM
That seems like too much fat intake to me.

How much should I be aiming for?

The next day is a better effort i think.
Cals - 3972
Fat 152
Carbs 422
Protein 227

And like I said I'm only 135lbs.

New_Sport
10-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Cals - 3972
Fat 152
Carbs 422
Protein 227

I'd say aim for about 60-100g fat

Unreal
10-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Fat is fine as long as its .5g/lbm or greater, and healthy fats. I would want 150+g of fried ****. If its 100+g of olive oil, nuts, fish, etc then great.

Y0yo
10-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Fat is fine as long as its .5g/lbm or greater, and healthy fats. I would want 150+g of fried ****. If its 100+g of olive oil, nuts, fish, etc then great.

Yes, as said .5g/lbm as a minimum. There are plenty of ways to get in healthy fats and they make things taste better.

Spartan936
10-15-2005, 12:32 PM

Cals - 3972
Fat 152
Carbs 422
Protein 227

Try not to complicate things too much. The only advice I can give you is to stick with as many healthy, whole foods as you can (milk, all kinds of meat, whole grains, fats and oils, fruits and veggies...) and to keep your calories where they are on a daily basis. If you are not gaining weight on 4000 calories, then add an extra few hundred cals per day. If you gain too much fat, then back the calories off a bit. And don't forget to read the articles on this site, as well as the articles already posted. Today's fat, carbs, and protein ratios like just fine to me. I wouldn't keep the fat too low, but that's my opinion. I personally consume over 200 grams of fat daily.

:thumbup:

Spartan936
10-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Meal 1: Oatmeal, apple, 5 egg whites
Meal 2: Opticen
Meal 3: Brown rice, Chicken, mixed greens, Nitrean (post workout)
Meal 4: Opticen and apple
Meal 5: Chicken, Nitrean, and lots of veggies
Meal 6: Nitrean, cottage cheese (last meal before bed)

Supplements: Opticen, Nitrean, Fish Body Oils, Creatine, Ultra Mega Gold Multi Vitamin

*2 gallons water each day, bout half a gallon taken in during workout
**Use olive oil in rice and on mixed greens
:ninja:

lol, I just realized that your thread was sort of hijacked.

Your diet looks super clean and well thought out, and maybe a little boring. Are you gaining weight? Getfit was talking about calories methinks.

Davidelmo
10-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the help Spartan!

Sorry willgetnice for the hijack, lol but I'm sure the advice has been useful to us both.

Try tracking your progress on fitday.com. When I started I realised I wasnt eating nearly enough but since I started I've been on 3500-4000cal per day.

Good luck with you program and bulk

getfit
10-15-2005, 03:19 PM
lol, I just realized that your thread was sort of hijacked.

Your diet looks super clean and well thought out, and maybe a little boring. Are you gaining weight? Getfit was talking about calories methinks.
yes, I just think adding more healthy fats as everyone mentioned would be an extra plus.