PDA

View Full Version : Yet another GI question

02-28-2001, 09:10 PM
An apple, for example, has a GI of 38. Brown Rice has a GI of 55. Since the apple is lower on the GI scale and has some good dietary fibre, wouldn't it be better to eat while cutting?

I have a feeling the rice is still better, but can someone explain why?

ryuage
02-28-2001, 09:37 PM
rofl, I would like an answer to this too =]

YatesNightBlade
03-01-2001, 02:20 AM
The Rice Doesn't contain Fructose.

Anthony
03-01-2001, 04:57 AM
Low GI complex carbs are better than low GI simple carbs.

MissAbs
03-01-2001, 08:40 AM
Here is what I want to challenge you all to think about...

Yes on a GI scale the apple is lower- if you are only concerned with the GI index of food and it number assigned in relation to sugar.

What I really want you to think about is, when you are eating food, asking, what does this food do to my

Insulin levels
Metabolic response in the body
Active carb counts- if trying to lean out

I think many want to use the GI index of food as a be all end all answer, however the GI index never takes into account, if you are currently in a fat burning state or a sugar burning state (metabolically speaking)......

My question to you to ask yourself is this
If you are so worried about GI index's of food and are trying to base your diet around it - Did you really spend time learning how to feed your body with basic measurements of grams of protein, carbs and fats? total caloric needs versus intake?

Spending over 40-50 hours per week thinking, teaching and talking food. I have yet to find a challenge or problem that cannot be solved without the headaches and hassles of GI index ratings

Just my opinion and a little something for you to think about.

body
03-01-2001, 02:43 PM
An apple is a lot lower in cals per 100 grams than rice. so per 100 grams of food a apple will be better if your trying to reduce your cal intake. remeber the GI index is related does not give a indiaction of the amount of carbs and other nutrients present in the food its a rating of blood glucose level after 2 hours after eating. But follow what miss abs says.

YatesNightBlade
03-02-2001, 02:14 AM
I would say an apple would have more effect on you insulin levels then Rice, but im open to correction here. Insulin has a few roles in the body ... some of which are the conversion of unused glucose to fat ... and the prevention of fat burning.

Alex.V
03-02-2001, 07:52 AM
Ain't fructose an insulin-independent sugar?

edit= Correction; I just remembered that was how it worked in theory. in the gut it's converted to glucose. My bad.

Maki Riddington
03-02-2001, 06:49 PM
Just because it is on the lower end does not mean it won't cause a quicke release of insilun,every one reacts differently,the GI table is just a generalized table.

the doc
03-05-2001, 06:55 AM
GI is only to relate the insulin activity of a food to a standard (*white bread). This does not specify the quantity of the food consumed, nor the presence of competeing nutrients. The GI is really only useful for foods relative position. Choose foods from the bottom and insulin response is more slow. Foods w/ a high position give a quick response.

I would pay more attention to obtaining starchy carbs instead of sweets (processed sugar). Fruits- they have sugars (natural) but also lots of fibre (good). Just keep em in check/