PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note on form...

chris mason
10-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Read the first few sentences of the article in the following link:

http://www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/whatsbest8-53.html

Now, in another article from the 30s they discuss the deadlift and how proper form involves the heels touching.

My only point in these references is that at least some of the "progress" we have noted over the years has been as much a function of alterations in form and equipment as it has an increase in brute strength.

Discuss...

MixmasterNash
10-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I'd like to see any modern strength athlete try heavy bent pressing and two-hand anyhow's. I don't imagine that they could surpass the old timers, even with months of practice.

Sensei
10-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Pavel (et. al) says that Strength is a skill. Definately true and bent-pressing and the powerlifts are all great examples of that.

dw06wu
10-17-2005, 05:09 PM
My only point in these references is that at least some of the "progress" we have noted over the years has been as much a function of alterations in form and equipment as it has an increase in brute strength.

Discuss...
Maybe the changes in exercise methods and better strength are direct correlates? I know it's just one example, but deadlifting with heels touching seems like it would at least hinder the movement somewhat, resulting in sub-par results comparitively with modern times.

chris mason
10-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Maybe the changes in exercise methods and better strength are direct correlates? I know it's just one example, but deadlifting with heels touching seems like it would at least hinder the movement somewhat, resulting in sub-par results comparitively with modern times.

Oh yes, give it a try and you will see how much it limits matters.

drew
10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Finding a better mechanical advantage can have a huge impact on strength. When I switched from a close to a wide stance on squats I almost immeditely increased by 50# (from 355 to 405) over a couple of months. This sport will always evolve and improve. Power lifters are probably the hungriest athletes you'll find. They will always find a way to get stronger.