PDA

View Full Version : are there phyto-estrogens in soy lecithin?

jazer80
10-15-2005, 08:08 PM
or any other things that should make me think twice about lecithin supplementation?

Shao-LiN
10-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Are you eating it by the boatload? If not, then stop obsessing.

jazer80
10-16-2005, 05:17 PM
boatload would be subjective i guess. instead of advice or recommendations, can you just tell me if it contains phytoestrogens?

jazer80
10-18-2005, 05:41 PM
no one?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, soy lethicin contains phytoestrogens.

http://www.muktibotanicals.com.au/mnews/newsletter_issue.asp?NLID=1

Another important attribute is that soy lecithin contains phytoestrogens, which act as valuable hormonal controllers in feminine conditions such as menopause. As liposomes have the ability to easily penetrate the skin, soy lecithin may impact upon the oestrogenic effects that are involved in regulating the hormones. Basically, phytoestrogens assist with modifying and occupying the oestrogenic receptors which in turn contributes to balancing and normalising the body's own oestrogen levels by stimulating or inhibiting the receptor sites.

TTT
10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Is that what they put on the inside of food cans with acidic contents?
Even if it's not, if you eat anything like canned fruit, you've got more to worry about there....

thetopdog
10-18-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't really think the question is are there phytoestrogens in soy lecithin, I think it's more a question of whether or not those phytoestrogens are bad for the average male. I think the data out there is pretty inconclusive

malkore
10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
agreed Topdog. For every article I see saying 'its like estrogen, your nuts will shrivel up' I see another article saying "no the body doesn't treat them like estrogen at all, and in fact our study found that men taking soy protein supplements had higher testosterone levels than the men taking only whey protein supplments".

So I basically don't strive to take in soy, but I don't freak out about eating something that does have some soy.

jazer80
10-19-2005, 08:19 PM
ya there's always conflicting evidence. i manage a GNC, and i know that i sell a lot of phytoestrogens to women hitting menopause, they all think it's working