PDA

View Full Version : So what's the best "Muscle Sparing" fat loss diet

zoom
10-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Is low carb/high protein diet the best (like 50 grams carbs or lower a day) or is some other type the best for maintaining muscle.

Is it worth lifting heavy while on a cutting diet, or is this a waste of time since you will be limiting the amount of calories to build muscle?

Also, is cardio on empty stomach good to incorporate or is it catabolic.

No matter what diet your on you should be going about 500 calories below what your maintaince is per day?

I've searched a little but couldnt find a definitive answer to these Q's

spencerjrus
10-16-2005, 01:56 AM
1. I wouldnt drop protein or fat during a cut, only carbs.

2. Yes keep lifting as heavy as you can.

3. Exercise of any kind on an empty stomach is a bad idea.

4. Dont use a set figure like that, drop your calories slowly until you begin losing weight, and keep dropping calories until you feel you have found a comfortable rate of loss.

Built
10-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Agreed on all counts except 3: steady state cardio first thing in the morning, empty is fine. Nothing too strenuous, though. A 20-40 minute brisk walk is fine. But don't do this every morning - start with your diet. Use a little cardio to create a bit more of a caloric deficit as your cut progresses so you can ramp it up a little.

I do a 20-minute walk in the morning, but it's basically so I get to eat an extra tablespoon of peanut butter that day.

If you know what your maintenance calories are, drop them by no more than 20% for a cut. If your maintenance calories are 2500, 20% is 500 calories.

20% is a LOT. Try 10-15%, see how things go - you'll have to drop more as you go, depending on how long the cut is. The slower you go, the more likely you'll drop fat and maintain your LBM.

Your lifts will suffer from the lower calories - try to keep the weight the same, and drop the volume instead.

Ricochet_kid
10-19-2005, 06:01 AM
I do a 20-minute walk in the morning, but it's basically so I get to eat an extra tablespoon of peanut butter that day.

That's awesome. It takes a special kind of person to spend 20 minutes to get one tablespoon of peanut butter. :)

dw06wu
10-19-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with Built on this one, cardio is always catabolic, moreso on an empty stomach. At least in my personal experience. The only time it isnt is if your name is Antek or BCC, but yours is Ricochet kid.

Manveet
10-19-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with Built on this one, cardio is always catabolic, moreso on an empty stomach. At least in my personal experience. The only time it isnt is if your name is Antek or BCC, but yours is Ricochet kid.

lifting weights is catabolic as well.

so is dieting in general.

Cardio in the morning is not going to kill anybody. If he's that worried about muscle loss, sip on a diluted carb drink and have some slow digesting protein both prior to and after cardio.

As long as you are not creating a ridiculously large calorie deficit, muscle loss while dieting can be curbed.